Suspension problem? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Suspension problem? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Mayday just like your friends, bobbypins and elastic bands are your best friends, and ... ohhh... the drill. Almost forgot ...
    toofitt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Suspension problem?

Mayday just like your friends, bobbypins and elastic bands are your best friends, and ... ohhh... the drill. Almost forgot . Get a job, maybe you could afford some gas for your car, or are you drilling for that too!! TOM

bobbythebuilder is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I hope all understood that I'm wondering about whether or not Monroe and Gabriel appreciate Boston Suspension taking their products, doing the "Midnight Mods" and then sending them out to very daring customers who will then run their 4,000lb car at 60,70,80 MPH or more! I cannot imagine how they would go for this, unless they had really looked this stuff over. Even then, I can't imagine their insurance carrier liking this. I would think that if they did approve of this, that fact would be prominently stated on Boston's web site. (Maybe right next to the "Thank You So Much, Employee of the Year 2004 TwoBit" page!) It just doesn't add up, in our lawsuit-ridden society, even companies making little red wagon carts warn you of modifying, overloading or whatever. If someone wants to give all the info out about using OEM struts and how to make a resistor, that's great. If he then starts charging for the info, even more if he starts a business doing so, well then I would advise him to take some liabilty coverage out, although in Maydog's case I don't remember him modifying the struts at all. Plus, he's just trying to be nice. If you don't like his idea, don't do it. Once someone starts a for-profit business, that's a different story. So, does anyone know if Monroe or Gabriel approve of Boston's Midnight Mods?

Hey Bobb:

Why do you think mayday has a disclaimer on his website, maybe someone might try to sue him Hmmmm. Anyway.. anyone can sue anybody for anything anytime, that is the way I like to put it, so what is your point. Your info is pointless useless and a waste of space. I like my Boston parts, and if you saw the job they did on the welds you would love them too (that is if you can appreciate a good weld or welder.) People have a say in this too look at his feedback 286 positive and 1 negative yet there are a couple of people here that likes to m.i.c.k.e.y.m.o.u.s.e things... that OK. I don't... I would rather have a professional company do their thing, and I end up saving 4,000.00. Yet I get called the Boston guy or all kinds of names because I promote them, what the h*ll. I do like the fact, that I saved all this money, and I like telling people about my experience, what is wrong with that!!

TOM

91TexasSeville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado

I used Monroe passives on my 91 Seville. I can honestly say that I could see no difference in quality and fit between the OEM struts I removed and the new passives I installed. The only difference I found was the tip of the OEM shock had a recessed star pattern to hold the shaft while the Monroe had a hex outer stem. Everything else as far as welds, shaft size length, everything was identical, except of course the price. Just my 2¢

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Mickey Mouse? You like copyright infringement, eh?

I found this story about a mickey mouse fix of a lincoln continental . It reads just like my replacement of the STS struts, except my replacement struts were new and I had to drill no holes in the body. Good thing the lincoln had no electronic "doodads," however, or he would have been stuck unless he could have found some plans on the net.

http://www.strutmasters.com/about/chips-words.htm

I have a feeling that you will not bad mouth this guy.

And..... Oh Ya .....you forgot to mention he was smart enough to get rich. With his idea.
    But keep coming Dog you will learn something, (belive it or not)don't think you know it all, cus man you don't.
    TOM

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

So the only thing different was that he searched for a way to save himself money and then turned around and charged others more for the same fix - how does that make my fix chicken wire and duct tape? The ONLY reason monroe and gabriel struts are sold as part of the boston kit is MARGIN. Boston can source those parts much cheaper than the direct fit delco parts. Boston savings on using cheaper parts helps them grow fatter.

Why do you keep implying that I am poor, unemployed and single? Making comments like that are completely unfounded. I feel no need to share personal details of my life with you on this forum. You, however, offer several glimpses into your inner malfunctions by behaving childishly and speaking on topics you prove to be quite inept in.

I dont see why you keep trying to pound the fact that somehow I am some cheapskate, live with my mom sort of guy because I was smart enough to find a way to fix my car. Using your "logic", you must be hard up as well since you did not shell out the cash for the OEM replacements. As I have said several times before, when I was searching for a fix Boston did not even give me a courtesy of a reply - because they were not selling a kit at that time. Obviously the folks working there did not (and still do not) understand the electronic "doodads" in the CVRSS systems enough to bypass it. This is evident by the fact that the same resistor is offered for non-CVRSS suspensions and the "well this works 50% of the time" responses. It is pretty clear to me they have absolutely no idea how the system works and that they found a morsel of information to which they then applied to all cadillacs. Wow what an experienced, customer and quality oriented R+D group they have.

Soon after I posted a fix on the internet, companies began to offer "kits" with the same resistor I used and hacked non-delco struts. This is ok with me, but now folks like you are going around and saying that its their way or the highway. If my idea is so bad I would like to see some sort of logical argument made to that point. Scare tactis, name calling and smileys are just stupid. I have given my justification and evaluations of the different options available to the suspension consumer and tried to remain objective. All I have heard from you are statements like "ooo the resistor will kill you", "duct tape and chicken wire" and "if you saw the welds you would like them." Well, buddy unless you have performed SEM analysis of those welds then I am not interested in your comments.

I bet the above paragraph really steams you up. But why really? You claim to only have bought their product and have no other connections with the company. You have had a good experience - that is good for you, but just how good was it. Is it good enough to make a lifelong allegiance to the company and to make a complete ass of yourself online in their name. That is plain silly. Of course this is the internet and I see all sorts of irrational feuds take place - so have at it I guess.

But, Tom, why not make real use of this forum. Since you have joined all of your posts have been related to suspension, you are really a one sided individual. There is a lot more to be gained from this site than just strut information. Most users have questions, opionions and experience to offer in several areas. Maybe we all think you work for boston since the majority of your posts are in support of boston and all the remaining ones are discounting others suspension suggestions. Why not expand your horizions and start enjoying your vehicles, stop worrying about your suspension. I am sure those welds will hold, you have said that yourself.

Tom I give you two inivitations: 1. to be objective and 2. to make a point. Your misdirection and misinformation are unwelcome here. I have asked others if they find my posts and offerings useful - they do. I get emails daily at maydog@hotmail.com where I can exhange information with people withougt dealing with haters such as yourself. I also have an open forum here that has positive feedback.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=31636

It seems as if you and your manufactured friends are the only ones with a problem with my posts. So you can save others time by communicating with me directly - I use MSN messenger, my username is maydog@hotmail.com. I also use skype, username maydog.

bobbythebuilder is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just thought I'd reiterate a "Thank You" to Maydog. I think it's great that you take the time to put all of your info out there, especially because you recommend using unmodified struts. Furthermore, you aren't looking for $$$$$! Offering up info that MAY help someone else is much of what these sites are about. If anyone who reads your info and doesn't like it, or like in my case, it doesn't apply to my car, then don't use it! No need to knock you so much. It is kind of strange how certain posters here are ALWAYS "pimpin'" their favorite suppliers! On second thought, maybe I'll take the next month off, so I can go around telling people how much I LOVE Taco Bell! (Actually, I don't love Taco Bell, but why not!) This will be no charge to Taco Bell. (Of course!) If I come across ANYONE who starts "knockin' da Bell" or promoting their own taco place, they will be subject to many personal insults! Yeah!

All I have to say to the two of you (mayday and bobbypins) is WHATEVER!! I have a life to live, obviously you 2 guys are stuck to a chair in front of a tube. I'm not, so see ya, off to have some fun!!.

Love

TOM

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

MY GOD, IMO this whole thing is Extremely childish. Here, Toofitt hasn't failed yet to remind me of my 5 year old sister with each and every post he has written. All Maydog has done was to try and help people solve their problems, and is doing a good job too I might add.

Toofitt,
    You, need to realize that people come to this type of forum mostly to help eachother resolve their problems that they have with certain aspects of a product, or products. People come here with problems. We want help with them. Not for you to come up into our faces and brag about how good your product works. That doesn't solve anything, it just causes frustration, and frustration is what causes these posts. Thats OK that you like your product, but the fact that you have no problems with the product makes it HARD for you to help us, even IF you tried. My point is, if your posting a reply to someone with a problem you should at least try to help them rather than waisting EVERYONES time with promotions and nonsense. Now, because of your promotions and nonsense, you have made yourself a problem to the posters. On a side note, I seriously think you need to grow up.

I realize that many people like Boston suspention, and are happy with their products. I'm happy for them, but the fact is that there are people who have some products of theirs that don't work the way they are intended to. Don't you think these people deserve some help, I mean they paid just as much as you.

As for me, I'm going to try some inductive coils to see if it solves the problem that Boston suspension failed to solve. I think the ride is great from the suspension, but it would probably be hard to sell a car with a consistant SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message up on the dashboard (if I were to sell it). Also I have some info about how you CAN refill the shocks and struts, I took off the valves on all four of them and believe it or not they screw into a HOLE. I wouldn't recommend refilling them though, I wouldn't do it. Also the front struts may be dangerous to take the valve out of (good struts are usually, so I've heard, pressurized). On my car the struts were completely shot, I mean absolutly no resistance when i compressed it and none when I expanded them either, so I knew it didn't have pressure.

Goodyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville 2006 STS

Amen

Oh My God!!! If you guys would stop dismissing my opinions and stop disrespecting me I would kindly do the same.

TOM

lathe2nd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 ETC '94 SLS

okay, well i haven't been in here for a while but here's where things stand with my ETC at the moment... did the complete under the car inspection a while back and found the damdest thing there... (if anyone actually will come back in here to read this prepare for a laugh!) the previous owner who traded the car in where I bought it was a "younger" guy by the dealer's decription...
    apparrently he made an attempt to lower the car in the rear by installing some cheap lowering shackles that compress the springs! it compressed almost 2 inches of the springs for a total of about a 1/4 inch of lowering the car.... the rear air ride was working it's @$$ off in an attempt to maintain the proper height... it took about 20 minutes to get them out of there with my sawzall (using extreme care not to cut anything else.... the car rides alot smoother but the front struts are definately badly worn out... aftermarket struts are available through Advance Auto Parts by special order through there catalog for about $490 each which is most likely the direction I will go, since the OEM from the dealer is about $700 each (local quote)
    I was told I would need a front end alignment once they are installed, probably a good idea whether it is necessary or not, my michelins are still like new, so best not to take any chances... in the meantime I baby the car over bumps since I'll need to sell a few more roofs so I can afford to have the work done...
    Thanks again to all who volunteered help

Larry

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Maydog, you are alright in my book. I dont know who those other folks are. But damn, I guess there just here to bang on others.

Ho hum......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.