93 cadillac deville speed sensitive suspension
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 93 cadillac deville speed sensitive suspension in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I was wondering what has to be done when the service SSS light comes on, what is involved in servicing ...
    Hassanhijleh is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question 93 cadillac deville speed sensitive suspension

I was wondering what has to be done when the service SSS light comes on, what is involved in servicing it? can it be completly avoided by a air shock system? or is it not that hard to serviec, thanks for the info! SSS is speed sensitive suspension.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

upstate is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 93 cadillac deville speed sensitive suspension

The parts are no longer available from GM and if they were it would be around $2600 to install the four struts. Buy new front struts and rear air shocks for the system and pull the bulb.

What is the bulb? so I just buy any brand struts for the front to replace the special cadillac ones with SSS. Then do the same with the rear ones accept with any brand air shocks? Do you reccomend any brand shocks or struts?
    thanks for the reply, i really appreciate the help.

youbetcha77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 93 Fleetwood RWD, 99 Deville

I just unplugged the computer for the speed sensitive suspension. It is under the drivers seat under the slit in the carpet. Just move the seat all the way forward and unplug the connector from it and the light will go out. I didnt notice any difference in the way it rides or steers.

Blaze

I was just on a parts website and Monroe makes direct replacement struts for the ccr systems. They even have the ones for the back that also have the air system.

Blaze

cool, thanks for the help, I noticed that you have an Eldorado with a diesel, I love those things, my uncle and grandpa both had them. My uncle still uses his to drive the 50 miles one way to work everyday, and his Eldo has 289,000 on it and it doesnt have any real bad blowbye. Not to mention they are great conversatioin starters when you pull up to the pump and fill up the caddie next to F350 etc. I personally had an 84' pontiac bonneville, with a diesel as well as a 84' oldsmobile nighty eight regency. I loved both cars, the olds finally quit with 298k and the pontiac with 273k both had the goodwrench motors in them. No major problems ever with either one, just kept the oil changed regularly. They saved me alot of money, especially when you first get your liscense with all the driving you do, you know how that is, and at that time diesel was alot cheaper that regular unleaded at the pump, jus thought I would share the good luck I had with the diesels.

upstate is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by youbetcha77
    I was just on a parts website and Monroe makes direct replacement struts for the ccr systems. They even have the ones for the back that also have the air system.

Blaze
    I just called Monroe. They DO NOT work with CCR. They will work and operate fine (air leveling will work in the back) but they do not have the electronics or eletronic ride dampening. The light will still stay lite. These are the same you can buy from anyone. Again no one makes the proper struts that will work with the Caddy system not Monroe, not GM. No NOS left either.

Quote Originally Posted by upstate
    I just called Monroe. They DO NOT work with CCR. They will work and operate fine (air leveling will work in the back) but they do not have the electronics or eletronic ride dampening. The light will still stay lite. These are the same you can buy from anyone. Again no one makes the proper struts that will work with the Caddy system not Monroe, not GM. No NOS left either.
    I didnt say they had the electronic dampening. I said they were direct replacements and they are. Do you not install them without modification? If you dont have to modify anything then they are direct replacements. Oh and Monroe should have told you that.

Blaze

slamncaddydoes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Sedan Deville

I tried this only to discover I could not move the seat back up. Is there another plug I should find when attempting to disable this SSS light.

You betcha, I've seen you in many post. Hopefully everyone is appreciative to your knowledge. I wanna get this light off, the previous owner of my car indicated that the struts had been replaced. I want this light and the ABS light off.

Thanks Shaun

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Quote Originally Posted by youbetcha77
    I just unplugged the computer for the speed sensitive suspension. It is under the drivers seat under the slit in the carpet. Just move the seat all the way forward and unplug the connector from it and the light will go out. I didnt notice any difference in the way it rides or steers.
    Blaze
    Was this on your 90 with CCR? The later cars had a slightly more advanced SSS system, which meant Speed Sensitive Suspension AND Steering. I don't know how big of a difference it makes (maybe not even noticable) but on the later cars, unplugging the computer will alter the steering system. That said, getting to the computer under the seat is a PITA compared to just pulling the bulb, and who cant find a use for a spare 194 bulb?

There is a TSB straight from Cadillac that calls for getting access to the computer under the seat, and cutting a certain wire. (which, in the diagram leads right to the bulb BTW) The electronic dampening system is obsolete on these things, as per the manufacturer. Given most people don't notice much of a difference one way or another, I'd rather go passive even if the electronic struts were available.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.