2000 DTS Brake Pad and Rotor Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 2000 DTS Brake Pad and Rotor Questions in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hello Everyone, I'm sure this has been covered time and time again but I have been searching through this forum ...
    trailor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 Deville DTS, 120K Miles

2000 DTS Brake Pad and Rotor Questions

Hello Everyone,

I'm sure this has been covered time and time again but I have been searching through this forum and I still have a few questions about brake pads and rotors from my Deville DTS. Upon searching the forums I have found the following basics down.

My car has the JL9 brake system(I found this information on the spare tire cover). With that being said, I think I do not have the heavy duty rotors. Why, it's not a damn limo and when I've changed my tires, it's just your basic 5 lug rotor to me. I'll check that again tomorrow at work just to be safe.

What I am looking for is a safe, simple and effective replacement pad and rotor solution. I drive just like everyone else, in the city, highway, and just about everywhere. My car is the work horse between my wife and I so it gets driven the most. I do have chrome wheels but I wash my car about twice a week, so brake dust doesn't really bother me as I keep my wheels cleaned, but believe me, I don't want something that will turn them black. Ha ha.

That's all I have found out really. I was looking at rockauto.com for the information that I have found. For the front and rear pads, I plan on using the following:

FRONT
    RAYBESTOS Part # SGD699M {#RPD699, RPD699M} Service Grade - Semi-Metallic Front; Drag Reduction Clip Recommended H6006; OE Pad Material is Semi-Metallic; GM Brake Code JL9

REAR
    RAYBESTOS Part # SGD714C Rear; Drag Reduction Clip Recommended H6002; OE Pad Material is Semi-Metallic; GM Brake Code JL9

I've chosen this set up because it's the OEM option, or so I believe. Please, correct me if I'm wrong. Now, where do I find this "drag reduction clip?" Do I even need this? Is their a better option that has all the hardware included that will service my pads correctly? I'm open to simple suggestions.

As for rotors, I plan on using the following option where I found the same information on rockauto. Once again, I am open to suggestions.

FRONT
    ACDELCO Part # 18A813A {#19241868} Advantage FRONT ; 4 DOORS; w/FRT & RR DISC ANTILOCK BRK(JL9); 5 STUD ROTORS

REAR
    ACDELCO Part # 18A911A {#19241876} Advantage REAR ; 4 DOORS; w/FRT & RR DISC ANTILOCK BRK(JL9); 5 STUD ROTORS

Raybestos does make the rotors as well and that's an option, only a few dollar difference which isn't high on my list. Is there anything else I need to worry about when changing the pads and rotors out? Anything to reset when I'm done, or sensors that need to be replaced? I know this is a long read but I'm hopeful there is information I'm missing and other options out and others can learn from this as well.

Thanks

Taylor

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2000 Deville DTS Brake Pad and Rotor Questions

Do it the easy way and call Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>>>>>

Have your VIN at hand. AC Delco makes several grades of pads/rotors. Chris can make a recommendation based on your overall driving habits.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.