Problem removing stabilizer link from front strut
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Problem removing stabilizer link from front strut in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Is there any trick to removing the stabilizer link from the front strut? I have tried pushing, pulling, hammering, pressing... ...
    shrike2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Problem removing stabilizer link from front strut

Is there any trick to removing the stabilizer link from the front strut? I have tried pushing, pulling, hammering, pressing... all of the "ings" basically. I put a c-clamp on there and tried to squeeze it out. Nothing seems to be working. I'm putting liberal amounts of WD-40 on there in the hopes that it penetrates that connection and loosens it up. I know there's not much there holding it on, it must just be rusted or something. But, just in case I'm missing something, let me know if there's a special technique.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Snowman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Seville SLS

Re: Problem removing stabilizer link from front strut

I replaced the passenger side one on my 93. If they are the same ??, simply undid the nut and it popped out, I had the car jacked up, and then put another jack below the lower control arm to make sure there was no force on the link.The link I removed an Allen key socket in the end of the threaded bolt, I just used vice grips on the booted knuckle to stop it from turning while removing the nut. The new Moog stabilizer link had a shoulder cut in the boss for a wrench to but used on. I don't know if a 97 is the same as a 93. Good luck.

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You can use a second jack to unload the pressure of the joint. I had a lot of trouble myself, I tried a torch to heat it up, and air hammer and the c clamp. Ultimately I had to cut a wedge out of the hole to get the link to let go. I have some pictures on my site http://maydog.dyndns.org/www/struts/...e_replace.html , it was a pain in the A.

Snowman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Seville SLS

Quote Originally Posted by maydog
    You can use a second jack to unload the pressure of the joint. I had a lot of trouble myself, I tried a torch to heat it up, and air hammer and the c clamp. Ultimately I had to cut a wedge out of the hole to get the link to let go. I have some pictures on my site http://maydog.dyndns.org/www/struts/...e_replace.html , it was a pain in the A.
    I think I'll change the Drivers side one very soon and put some antiseize on it. My SLS came from Texas, and no rusted parts, but now that its being driven in Ontario, it won't take long for the "rusties" to get it.

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Attempted to do the passenger side on my 93.
    Looked easy enough.............NOT !
    What a pain !
    Good thing I didnt cross the point of no return. Ended up takin it to the shop. Was a bit of a strugle for them at first. Then they brought out the big guns.
    That sucker was seized on real good. And that was the end that was the easiest to get too.

BTW...WD sucks.
    Try using a penetrator called Moovit made by Lloyds. Does everything WD does but better. And its non solvent.

oldcady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

Hope to be helpful: has had the same trouble and used a 27016 Pitman Arm Puller with a socket on the nut of the stabilizer link to protect the thread. It said after very heavy pushing "pop" and I could proceed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.