'99 Deville tire choice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, '99 Deville tire choice in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I inherited this car from my Aunt. It sat for more than a year with a bad head gasket (fixed) ...
    sundog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille D'elegance

'99 Deville tire choice

I inherited this car from my Aunt. It sat for more than a year with a bad head gasket (fixed) and leaky right rear tire which was flat much of the time. I re-mounted and balanced all the tires (Michelin Symmetry) myself; they balanced well on the machine but there's still a flat spot or balance problem somewhere among them that shows up on the highway. Tread looks excellent but they'll be ten years old come spring. A new set is in order.
    I've never bought tires for a car like this, or with anything but price as the top priority. This car will be used for business, and a quiet, smooth ride is now the essential issue. Michelin is an obvious choice, but I'd like to know that my options are. Any input?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: '99 deville tire choice

Look on the driver's door sticker for the correct tire size and speed rating. Buy a set of all-season Michelins and have them Hunter Road Force balanced.

10 year old tires are dry-rotted deathtraps.

I agree, and I want them gone. As for Michelins - they're my preference, but I live down five miles of Kansas farm road, which means nails, bolts, metal fragments from farm equipment, etc. So I like Wal-Mart's warranty, and the tires they carry in stock here are Douglas, Goodyear Viva 2 and a fuel-efficiency variant, and Bridgestone's Eco-something. At the moment I'm leaning toward the Viva 2: it's @ 60% the cost of a Symmatry (and I also need tires for my truck) and they're quiet and good-riding on our Grand Marquis.
    A tire shop here recommended a Cooper CST4, I think it is. Don't know anything about them, but they seem well-liked in another thread in this section.

I just noticed, you're from Kent Island. I grew up in Accokeek, across the Potomac from Mount Vernon, in the '60s. Dad had a plane, and he and I occasionally flew to Kent I for lunch. As I recall, and if I'm not confusing Kent I with another place, the runway ran straight east off the bay, and the restaurant was there on the airfield.

01ssreda4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 STS VIN 9

I'm running the Goodyear luxury car tires and have been very pleased with them.

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    I just noticed, you're from Kent Island. I grew up in Accokeek, across the Potomac from Mount Vernon, in the '60s. Dad had a plane, and he and I occasionally flew to Kent I for lunch. As I recall, and if I'm not confusing Kent I with another place, the runway ran straight east off the bay, and the restaurant was there on the airfield.
    Kentmorr Airpark. It's doing well - A grass runway, E-W, lined on the south side with homes with attached hangars. Kentmorr Restaurant is still a block walk away. (Google it - videos of the approach) In the 60's I flew my J-3 and Colt in and out of there during leave periods when I would keep a plane at College Park Airport - fly down from new London, CT. Mom & Dad lived in MD - Chevy Chase, right at the MD/DC line.

Boy, did I get off-subject!
    Dad kept his plane at Hyde Field until he sold it in the mid-'70s. He kept the hanger for another 10 years so his EAA pals could have a place to build.
    Have you been to College Park lately? They have a nice museum there now, right on the airfield, saw it when I was back there visiting in October. In the mid-60s, Dad and I were briefly involved in an organization formed to preserve the airfield.

Re: '99 Deville tire choice

Remember Mr. Brinckerhoff at College Park (owner/operator). Acquaintance of mine (Sam Schoenfeld ... Scofield ???) put his Globe Swift nose-first into the RR right-of-way embankment on the west end of the 29-11 runway - hot August day, full load, lifted off too early. That happened in the mid-60's.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.