Please help - 1980 fleetwood leveling
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Please help - 1980 fleetwood leveling in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi I have a 1980 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, (368 6.0L V8) I know it's supposed to have the rear air ...
    Stealth_Space is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Please help - 1980 fleetwood leveling

Hi

I have a 1980 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, (368 6.0L V8)

I know it's supposed to have the rear air ride system (because it's got the air shocks underneath and it's got the compressor assembly under the hood by the master cylinder) but it's obviously not working because any time two people or more sit in the back seat every hump on the road i go over the whole rear end scrapes the ground :/

I know it's supposed to level automatically via sensors, but i have no clue as to where those sensors are (it'd make sense since it's an old car and they didn't use computers to level, that the sensors would be under the car, close to the rear axle i guess...) and i don't know why it's not working (i haven't tested anything other than basics, like the fuse, etc.).

What steps should i go about testing as to what's not working... someone said power the compressor manually, but there's like 5 wires going to it, so i wouldn't know what wire to power

Help please

Thanks a lot
    ~Stealth

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
    If you load the car up in the back and open the hood, you might be able to tell if the compressor works. Then you'll want to check the hoses, make sure they're connected and appear to be in good condition. Uh after that you might try looking for the sensors.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Please help - 1980 fleetwood leveling

There's only on sensor and it's in the back under the car mounted to the body and connected via a link to the suspension. It controls the compressor completely. I don't think I have any schematics for an '80 but I'll look. You're also pretty close to the cut-off for the old vs. new style compressor. The old one was engine vacuum powered, the new one was/is electric.

well i think my compressor's electric, cause it's two cylinders (one with an air hose coming out of it, to the shocks i'm assuming) and lots of wires going to it

anyone wanna help?

I also have noticed that since i've gotten the car, the left side is higher than the right side... even when i park completely level, the body's leaning down on the right, and i don't know why.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille
    I Believe You Will Find An Air Fill Valve On The Pump. Much Like A Tire Valve. Add Air At That Point And The Shocks Should Inflate. Also Should Be An Extra Wire At The Pump Not Connected To Anything, I Think Its Green In Color. That Wire Connected To 12 Volts Should Turn On The Pump . Should Have A Spade Connector On It. Most Times The Reason For The System To Quit Is Leaking Hoses To The Shocks. Some Times You Can Hear The Air Leaking Once The Pump Has Run. Other Times I've Used Soapy Water Sprayed On The Hose And Watched For Bubbles, Signifying A Leak. Hope This Helps, Bill.

yeah there's a yellow wire that's just hanging loose, not connected to the compressor in anyway. my mom's 1988 lincoln has the same wire hanging loose... but i can't figure out where it plugs to... any ideas?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille
    That Wire Is The Test Wire. Run A Wire From The Battery Positive Post To The Wire, That Should Turn On The Pump. Techs Use That Wire To Verify That The Pump Will Run. Under The Car, Passenger Side Is The Level Ride Height Sensor, A Link Connects It To The Axle. When The Level Ride Sensor Arm Goes Up Thats Means Weight Is On The Axle, Turning On The Pump For As Long As Necc. To Bring The Car Level. Try Disconnecting The Link From The Axle And Push Up On It. Wait About A Minute And The Underhood Pump Should Turn On. Make Sure The Ignition Key Is In The Run Position, Engine Not Running. If No Pump Function, Then Somewhere The System Is Electrically Open. Will Be Necc. To Trace The Power Wire. Hope This Helps, Bill.

yeah, i went to a junkyard a few days ago and pulled one out, hooked it up, and it kicks on and off now, but i'm still thinking of doing it manually, with a switch under the dash or something

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.