Susp/ Alignment Xperts help! (rubbing sound, metal grinding sound, pulling right)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Susp/ Alignment Xperts help! (rubbing sound, metal grinding sound, pulling right) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; so in april 2012 i replaced my stock front struts with the strutmasters conversion. i did it myslef and wasnt ...
    mrgoodbar67 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac DTS Deville on Vogues and DTS Blades

Susp/ Alignment Xperts help! (rubbing sound, metal grinding sound, pulling right)

so in april 2012 i replaced my stock front struts with the strutmasters conversion.
    i did it myslef and wasnt hard at all. great ride now and not expensive.
    3 days later, i had the alignment done (of course).
    the shop was able to do it and gave me the following numbers- Everything checked out fine

Front Left Front right
    Actual BEfore actual before

-1.8 -1.8 camber -1.4 -1.4
    5.5 5.5 caster 5.0 5.0
    .09 .35 toe .12 -.10
    12.8 12.8 SAI 12.7 12.7
    11.0 11.0 included angle 11.3 11.3

Front
    Actual Before

Cross Camber -0.4 -0.4
    Cross Caster 0.5 0.5
    Cross SAI 0.1 0.1
    Total Toe .21 .25

rear left rear right
    actual before actual before
    -0.8 -0.8 -0.8 -0.8
    0.05 0.03 .10 .12

Rear
    Actual Before

Cross Camber 0.0 0.0
    Cross Caster 0.15 0.15
    Thrust angle -0.03 -0.04

Now were in june and i have 3 issues

issue 1 -the car pulls to the right and i have to drive with the steering wheel slightly turned to the left so that the car drives straight. I figured the alignment was off again so i took it to the same guys again and gave me the following numbers-

Front Left Front right
    Actual BEfore actual before
    -1.2 -1.2 camber -0.4 -0.4
    5.8 5.8 caster 5.2 5.2
    .15 .15 toe .17 .17
    12.7 12.7 SAI 13.0 13.0
    11.5 11.5 included angle 12.6 12.6

Front
    Actual Before

Cross Camber -0.9 -0.9
    Cross Caster 0.5 0.5
    Cross SAI 0.3 0.3
    Total Toe .32 .32

rear left rear right
    actual before actual before
    -1.3 -1.3 -1.5 -1.5
    0.18 0.16 .18 .18

Rear
    Actual Before

Cross Camber 0.2 0.2
    Cross Caster 0.36 0.34
    Thrust angle 0.0 -0.01

theys said that the alignment "was with in specs" but that i needed a Camber bolt kit for the left front side because my "camber is off a whole degree". they said that was what was causing my steering to pull right. They asked if i lowered the car or hit anything after the initial alignment. i told them i had not.

issue 2- when ever i turn left like at an intersection or tight left turn, i can hear metal grinding in the right front wheel well are. ive taken the tire off and checked everything but all looks "normal".

issue 3 - there is a strange rubbing sound also coming from the right wheel well/ tire area. sounds like the tire is rubbing on something. however, i checked for clearance and all looks "normal". only occurs when im rolling in the car and not in park. as i speed up, the sound becomes more prevailant, as i roll to stop it too, starts to slow and then stops. when i do a right sweeping turn (like a freeway off ramp and the weight of the car shifts to the left) the noise stops. but when i level out the sounds comes back. a buddy drove next to me while driving to see if he saw anything rubbing or issues but he said no.

Do i really need camber bolt kit to fix my steering & stop it from pulling right?
    Will it be enough to stop the leaning to the right?
    Do the numbers i provided look fine like they the shop said they are?
    Did the stutmasters kit install cause all or any of these issues that i did not have before?

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Susp/ Alignment Xperts help! (rubbing sound, metal grinding sound, pulling right)

sounds like the right hub bearing is shot -

the alignment should have caught that if it is bad -

mrgoodbar67 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac DTS Deville on Vogues and DTS Blades

Re: Susp/ Alignment Xperts help! (rubbing sound, metal grinding sound, pulling right)

it was the right hub bearing.....there was alot of play there. well its repaired now and everything is fine. thnx

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.