Wire wheel cover advice needed!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Wire wheel cover advice needed! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well, I got a great deal on five wire wheel covers for my '88 Eldorado. They are in pretty decent ...
    sprocket is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '88 Eldorado

Wire wheel cover advice needed!

Well, I got a great deal on five wire wheel covers for my '88 Eldorado. They are in pretty decent shape. Never since I owned the car has it had hubcaps of any kind. It instead had alloy rims off a '96 Deville.

I decided to return it to stock and bought used 14" steel rims with tires included. Then I bought the wheel covers. Of course, they came without the locks or a locking tool. This is not a problem for me because I am a machinist and if I can't find locks I can just make them. It would help if I had even ONE so I don't have to reverse engineer too much.

The center hole on the wheel cover is threaded and takes a special wrench to turn the movable part that the threaded hole goes through. I've never seen a wire wheel lock up close but there must be a threaded stud that you screw the wheel cover to with the special wrench.

So here's the question:
    If I'm making the wheel locks anyway, can't I just put a threaded hole in the lock and then attach the wheel cover with a bolt that is small enough to fit through the existing threaded hole? I understand this makes them easier to steal, but maybe I could use torx screws.

Sound reasonable?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Wire wheel cover advice needed!

Well no responses, but I managed to get two on the car. I found bracket cones at the junkyard but they were the wrong ones. They stuck out way too far. I solved this issue by beating the hell out of them. Now they sit low enough. Beating them broke the nut plate out of the center, but that turned out to be a good thing. I replaced that with an 8mm nut that was tapped into a 1/2 washer. this was then wedged into the hole that was left from the nut plate. I then screwed an 8mm button head allen bolt into the rotating nut in the hubcap. I was then able to screw the hubcap onto the cone. I thought I was done but the center cap wouldn't snap on. The head on the allen bolt stuck up too high. I solved this problem by removing the allen bolt and using a hand grinder to shorten the rotating nut. I then screwed the allen bolt back into the nut and reinstalled the hubcap. Then the center cap snapped into place. The rest is history.

If this sounds like a lot of screwing around, it is, but I refused to give up. I still have two more to go.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

i think GM used dozens of different styles and heights... last two I tried swapping around were a freaking nightmare. Post a pic or two

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    i think GM used dozens of different styles and heights... last two I tried swapping around were a freaking nightmare. Post a pic or two
    Sure. I'll have them off tomorrow because the car is going in for an alignment and to have the tires balanced. I bought the tires used and I can tell they're off a bit. I'm not going to expect the tire guy to figure out how to get the wheel covers off. The brackets are ugly but you don't see them and they WORK.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.