Strut bypass resistor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Strut bypass resistor in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    dpower is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Strut bypass resistor

I remember a long thread about putting in a resistor to fool the suspension system. Iíve finally got my caddie ready to roll again and can only find one reference to a 12-ohm resistor. Does anyone know if this will work on a 96 sls suspension? All the references seem to be for an sts suspension, which I believe, uses a different strut.
    Any recomendations? I have lots of pictures on what not to do and will post an update once I can fully road test it. I really just need the rear level controll to work and Im just thinking about putting in a manual fill valve. Of course Im not certain what the system will do with all 4 struts just left unplugged.

David

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt

Re: Strut bypass resistor

i sure like to know also , i hope someone knows as im getting ready to do the same thing

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

You can disable it through the OBD...... Not sure how, but I believe it was recently post here...... Goto www.caddyinfo.com and its on there.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

I believe the obd bypass was just for the error code; I want the rss system to think that I have active struts so the ride-leveling feature will still work. I have found several replacement struts that fit a 96 sls but the default rear ride height is 25" unless the air shocks lift it up. It looks a little funny with the front set to 27.5" and the rear at 25".
    Iíve read several in depth and long threads about the cvrss bypass using a 12 ohm resistor but the thread that continued for the non sport suspension just kind of petered out. The last post I remember had someone trying 6 and 8-ohm resistors and the some sort of a loading coil. If I could get original struts back from the remanufacture I sent them to I could just cut out the old coils and measure them. My car has been down for many months working this out. I guess I should have just put in the factory struts.

David

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

I cant help you any more with this...... Its beyond my knowledge.......

Im sure somewhere (maybe with the help of a techII) they could program the computer to use the 25" ride height.......

Thumbs up

I ended up using a set of passive AC Delco 5808 rear shocks for a deville that I got from rock auto and some 10 ohm 50 watt resisters from digikey. Ive been driving it for a couple of days now. The ride level works, it rides just fine and no codes. It was about $350 total installed.
    So it does work on the sls suspension as well.

9. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.