5,000$ in suspension work. WTF!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 5,000$ in suspension work. WTF! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; So I called Cadillac to see if I have Electronic Suspension and I do. I asked how much is it ...
    ThaUnknownOne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac STS

5,000$ in suspension work. WTF!

So I called Cadillac to see if I have Electronic Suspension and I do. I asked how much is it to replace the shocks and struts. 2,400$ for the front and 2,000 for the rear and the kicker is that is BEFORE LABOR! There HAS to be a better way. I do not want to compromise the electronic suspension, but I do not have money like that. I know they need to be replaced as one of my friends got in the back of the car and we went down the driveway and SERIOUSLY scraped the ground. What other options are out there? HELP!

----------

After banging my head against my desk in total disbelief. I called my local mechanic. He told me to simply put regular shocks on the front and air struts on the back as the back of the car is the only part that has the air ride. He states he truly feels after owning 4 Cadillacs the electronic stability part does nothing. He states the ride height in the back of the car will not be high and I will still have EXCELLENT ride quality. He states he can replace front and rear for 750$ and will show me how to place the resistor in the line to get rid of that damned code. Is this information correct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Re: 5,000$ in suspension work. WTF!

Yes it is. I currently have a '99 Eldo with the rear air shocks removed and replaced with passive units. The car rides great, and as long as no one puts a hitch on it and tows with it, no one would ever know the difference without looking.

And, FWIW, for most people, I personally agree with your mechanic - the rear leveling system is more of a nuisance than anything. Most drivers don't take advantage of the benefits it offers. I doubt you'll miss it when it's gone.

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Two sides to this coin.

Your car originally sold for about $50,000+ and that is the pricing level at which original Cadillac suspension parts and labor will hover around - not AutoZone prices.

BUT, if you want to defeat the ride and handling originally built into the car there are several ways to skin the cat. Front struts (MacPherson struts, a suspension component) can be replaced with less expensive active Monroe units or with considerably less expensive passive units from several manufacturers. The rear shocks (not struts in these cars) perform two separate functions: ride control and rear ride height control. Depending on how often you carry extra loads in the trunk or rear seat will dictate if you want/need to retain adjustable rear height control.

Do some homework in Discussions, Item Specific: Suspension or Cadillac Tech Tips. There are threads in those many pages which address suspension maintenance and workarounds.

Understand that if you choose to go to a strictly passive suspension system you lose a large portion of the safety and control originally built into the car. There's considerably more to your active suspension system than merely bump control - a LOT more.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i can possibly get you suspension parts at a much cheaper price ... if they're still available, which i assume they are since you've already had them checked by your dealer

seem forum signature for contact info (you're too new to send a PM) - i'll need your VIN to make sure we get the right ones looked up

cheers
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.