Boston Suspension
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Boston Suspension in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    Goodyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville 2006 STS

Boston Suspension

I have posted about Boston Suspension before. The last time was in regards to xmugsyx’s post about the service ride control still showing up. I have also been dealing with this. I know toofitt has two of the systems and they evidently work. I emailed Dennis at Boston about a week ago again. I have tried the computer fix and various other fixes and nothing works. Dennis says the SRC light is no big deal. I reminded him that when I purchased the system I wasn’t told that the light might go out and then maybe it wouldn’t. In other words he told me the resistors would work period.

I have a 1994 sls. I can say now that the resistors were never going to work on my car. My mechanic fixed it or fooled the computer into thinking the rss was there. He hooked up some inductors and they worked. The resistors from Boston are no longer hooked up. I did throw one code s061 (Right Front Position Sensor Fault) I went into the rss system and cleared it. Since then I have no codes.
    I have driven my car for about a 100 miles and no light. By the way I am not a mechanic.

For what its worth. The shop is CRT Auto Electronics in Batavia, OH 45103. I have been doing business with him for 15 years. He is one of the most knowledgeable people on caddies that I have ever met. His email address is:
    bachj@choice.net
    You can also go to: www.currentprobe.com

I don’t know if I am supposed to post this here or not. I don’t work for this guy or have anything to do with CRT other than being a customer. You can use my name if you want to: Ralph Goodman

I do know it is a great relief to not have to look at the src light.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Douglass Harroun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS

Re: Boston Suspension-beware

same story with me- error messages as soon as his resistors were installed, many calls and E-mails later, I got a partial refund, he was irate and grudgingly helpful. Said NOBODY else had this problem. ( '98 STS) I left the resistors in until it caused the RSS computer to malfunction- various things stopped working- windows, sunroof, lights, had to disconnect the computer for a while- until I put in stock replacement shocks. I don't think he knows what he is doing., or won't admit the limitations of his "technology". I told him people were discussing the problems with his kits on this forum. He monitors it. Don't see him jumping in the discussions.
    Doug

toofitt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Thumbs up Re: Boston Suspension

Hi Guys:
    I have 2 Boston kits, they work perfect 96 Seville 99 Deville, sorry the electronics did not work for you, mine worked fine.Tech support was excellent, there was someone to answer the phone there that could answer my questions, that was very important to me when I made my desicion. Strutmasters do not sell air shocks or electronics just passive shocks and try getting a hold of someone there, it takes a half an hour. Arnott makes their own shocks that did not impress me at all.So take it for what it is worth Boston Suspension only sell Cadillac suspension parts and I belive they have he best fix currently available.

TOM

Re: Boston Suspension

Hi Tom,

I am glad you are happy with your system. I have talked to Dennis a couple of times and also have emailed him. He has always answered both. Support is only good if they help you. Dennis has only excuses. No offense to you. But Dennis is an a#*hole. Again I am glad someone is happy with the system. Just my 2 cents.

Thumbs up Re: Boston Suspension

Hi:

All I can say is I have had excellent luck with the Boston kit, everything was there needed to do a bypass. No SRC message this was on 2 cars I did. I also have a friend with a 1996 eldo bought the Boston kit no problems whatsoever.
    Good product. www.cadillacstruts.com

TOM

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

The resistors provided by Boston suspension have way too much resistance.. I took an ohmmeter to the valve and it gives only 2.4 ohms at most but when you close the valve by pressing it in it goes down to 2.2 for a second then back up to 2.4... the resistors provided give 12 ohms of resistance, which makes the computer think that the wire got cut or grounded... the voltage in that wire is pretty high around 12 volts and all i need to know is the amperages that flow through the wire before i go shopping for a variable resistor that can imitate the resistances given by the valve and handle the high voltages and amperages. I do not want to reprogram my cars computer. I have not talked to Dennis about his shocks nor do i want to for fear of being bullsh*tted out. and Tom with all of your posts it would seem like you work for the guy, but anyways glad your happy with your shocks ...

The resistance is more with a 2.2 ohm verses the 12 ohm load krashed989 is using now, there is more resistance on a 2 ohm load than 12 ohm. I don't think krashed989 realizes this fact. 0 ohms being a dead short, (in krashed989 case), so the closer the number is to 0 the larger or more the resistance. It's like speakers give an 8 ohm load run with another 8 ohm load wired in paralell will give you a 4 ohm resistance which is more of a load. By the way.. I do not work for Boston Suspension I just like their products like 280 other people who bought kits from EBAY, I think you must work for strutmasters, Hows that!!! Why don't you try a 2 ohm resistor, wouldn't this make sense??

TOM

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Excuse me ... that post made 0 sense. Please review ohm's law before polluting this thread more. ( 2 ohm > 12 ohm)?

BTW. I do not think that resistance is what makes the system (RSS) tick as opposed to CV-RSS. Look around 2 ohms has been tried before. Someone has posted that fuel injectors will work to trick the system on their 94 - inductance is key. I would explore this before ordering up some 100W resistors.

The measured resistance of the coil probably changes for a short period when actuated because of inducing an EMF that affected your reading. I think a variable resistor would be a waste of time as well, it would have a high power rating and would likely be expensive anyway.

Hi maydog,

I'm the guy that posted about using induction coils from injectors. I'm happy to say still no problems. My mechanic tried the two ohm and it did not work. I still say I wouldn't let boston or dennis put air in my tires. My 2 cents.

Hi Guys:

So if a 2 ohm resistor was tried then a coil would probally work. Like a speaker coil if inductance is the key that would be easy, frequency would come in to play too. I find my post makes perfect sense I understand ohm law do you??

TOM

Tom,
    I am in no way shape or form affiliated with any shock or strut manufacturing companies, you can look through all of my posts if you would like, it may take you a while there is a lot of them, but you will find that i never once recommended buying any particular brand of anything. Plus the 280 you mention probably do not have northstar engines, i wonder how many are dissatisfied with their product... now that said i think this is getting a little childish for me, and i'm 17, yes a seventeen year old mechanic, not electrician. I was assistant mechanic when i was fourteen, so i know my stuff and if i dont know it then i know how to read or ask questions.... Sorry for this pollution.

Does anyone know where i can read up on inductive resistance so i know what im dealing with? Also does anyone know where i can get an inductive resistor? I would rather buy them new rather than get a used fuel injector.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

[QUOTE=Krashed989]....
    Does anyone know where i can read up on inductive resistance so i know what im dealing with? ....[QUOTE]

Any decent book store will have text books on basic electricity / basic electronics. The theory of direct current (DC) basic electricity is easily mastered with basic math skills.

With an understanding of relationships in DC circuits, the next step is a study of how circuits behave in an alternating current (AC) system. Major differences and a little more math.

Automobile electrical systems are generally considered to be DC systems. But even the most primitive ignition systems utilize AC so an understanding of the theory is a good foundation.

Modern vehicles include more and more sensor and control sytems that deliver information in the form of AC.

Hit the books and get comfortable with electrical principles and terminology.

I realize this sounds like the guy who asked me "what time is it?" and I answered by telling him how to build a clock.

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by toofitt
    The resistance is more with a 2.2 ohm verses the 12 ohm load krashed989 is using now, there is more resistance on a 2 ohm load than 12 ohm. I don't think krashed989 realizes this fact. 0 ohms being a dead short, (in krashed989 case), so the closer the number is to 0 the larger or more the resistance. It's like speakers give an 8 ohm load run with another 8 ohm load wired in paralell will give you a 4 ohm resistance which is more of a load. By the way.. I do not work for Boston Suspension I just like their products like 280 other people who bought kits from EBAY, I think you must work for strutmasters, Hows that!!! Why don't you try a 2 ohm resistor, wouldn't this make sense??

TOM
    First, Krashed - I would stop looking for an inductive resistor because you are not going to find one. Apart from using an injector, you may have luck using a RF choke or better yet a large coil used to filter high frequencies from woofers. Radio shack has a few of these babies. Before I headed off to the store however, I would do my homework - measure the peak current travelling through that acutator, reistance and if you can the inductance. This will help you in the selection of an inductor. All inductors have some resistance since a long length of wire is used. Resistance is of minor importance, but you might as well measure it as long as you are in there.

The resistance you are measuring is higher than that of the coil anyway. The best way to get a reading on such a low resistance is to use a Kelvin (4 wire) measurement. Using just two wires adds the resistance of the leads and interconnects wich is significant at low levels. You can also zero out (short the leads) and subtract this resistance from the final reading.

Tom,

The quote above makes no sense - read it yourself again. You say that a 2 ohm resistance is more resistance than a 12 ohm resistance. It may have made more sense if you wrote that a 2 ohm load is greater current draw than a 12 ohm load, but you did not.

I think what you may have been trying to say is that a 2 ohm load with require the ability to dissipate 6 times the power of a 12 ohm load.

bobbythebuilder is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just the fact that Boston Suspension says real prominently on their site that their kits have NEVER failed, yet we have several people right here who say it didn't work, also SEVERAL who say that the Boston guy is an As#$%le, I'm not buying anything from them! Plus, why would I want Monroe struts, that could have ended up being made for a 91 Beretta on my 1994 STS, Z-Rated on the jamb for 150+MPH!!!! I'm not done looking yet, but SCREW BOSTON AND THE SECRET EMPLOYEES THEY HAVE POSTING ON THIS SITE!!!!! (IN COGNEITO, OF COURSE!!!)

Crap, I knew mentioning my age would make people think im stupid... I know about alternating current or AC, because my dad is the manager of a power plant and he has me wiring stuff all over the house, and also because there is an 'alternator' in pretty much every car i have worked on, lol. I know about direct current or DC and about resistance or ohms, and about voltages, and amperages, and wattages, and conductivity, and capaciters. Pretty much the only thing i dont really know about is inductivity, and inductive resistors... The only time a current is going through those wires to the shock is when the car is in drive, and i'm not about to put it in drive, hop out and take an amperage reading while its rolling away, although i guess i could put the front on jack stands...and I dont have the right tools to take a reading on the inductance. Also i went out to my ohmmeter to make sure i was right, touched the two contacts together and well what do you know the reading was 0. then when i took them apart from eachother the number sky rocketed untill it was unreadable. The unreadable number is probably what had you confused...

As i said I am a mechanic, as in i get paid for fixing other peoples cars. I am not an assistant mechanic anymore... I wish my old valves were still usable. but i snapped the wires at the plastic where the wires just go into the valve... i guess i can use a small, steel cutting saw around the edge and disect it, but man those things were built tough and that would be a lot of work...

Do you know what the make, model, and year was on the car that you got the injectors from?? The coil off of a woofer is rather large so I might just make a call down to the dealer...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.