Shake Shimmy STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Shake Shimmy STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; 2001 STS 34,000 miles My 2001 STS has been back to dealer nine times for this 60-75 MPH Shake/Shimmy. Cadillac ...
    grogan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs down Shake Shimmy STS

2001 STS 34,000 miles

My 2001 STS has been back to dealer nine times for this 60-75 MPH Shake/Shimmy. Cadillac zone rep drove the car and said it is OK. This problem comes and goes. after having a tire store balance the tires it lasted 300 miles. Now time to balance again, this game is getting old. Went 300 miles without any problem, now Shake/Shimmy again.

Owned 92 STS and it drove perfect, no shake/shimmy. Also owned a 1997 Concourse, drove perfect too. What did Cadillac do to their front wheel drive. They have replaced the tires (1.5) sets, 6 balancings, front control bushings replaced. Cadillac customer care offered free tires and oil changes for two year. I said "No thanks I just want my car fixed. They said they would continue to work on it. I think Cadillac dealers need special hotels for owners of this Shimmy/Shake problem. They can balance at night while we sleep. The dealers are getting tired of seeing me as they have no solution.

How many thousand Cadillacs are out there that have a Shake/Shimmy problem.

Frank in Dallas texas

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cguthrie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Shake Shimmy STS

Try new rotors, worked for me. powerstoprotors.com.

Search "shimmy, shake, vibration" etc.

Good luck!

Chris
    99STS 99K

sts96 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Do the tires really need rebalancing if so have them checked for trash in side the tire. Have the brake rotors resurfaced if it is a shimmy condition. lol sts96

mastertech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If you have Goodyear tires, that is your problem...you need Michelins!

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I just put a set of Michelin Hydroedges on my 98 Seville and the shake is gone.

Rob Benham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 FWB

I empathize, I had my tire company change 15 tires - all Michelins, but this was more to do with radial run-out or out of true. Modern tires are not what they were despite all the hype.

Would the dealership loan you a pair of wheels with entirely different tires? A test of this type might save them a lot of trouble as well as eliminating you rims. Does the shimmy stop if you apply light breaking? Is there any flutter on the break pedal during light breaking at the problem speed?

grogan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Rob, I asked the last dealer to eliminate the tires and wheels by substitution, they declined. Dealers are not to sharp on thinking outside the box. Applying the brakes do not chang the symptoms. Back to another dealer today, the dealer told me these models have a design flaw and not sure they can fix it. I have made an expensive mistake, Cadillac will not own up to this, sham on them. I will buy a Lexus and stop hanging out at the Cadillac service department. Cadillac is offering an extended warranty on the drive train, doesnt look like much value considering this botched front end they cannot fix.

sanointed is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I recently purchased a 2001 sls and it has this problem of shimmy at 65-75 mph. I was looking for some answers and ran across your message.Did the dealer ever fix this? I have replaced the tires as well and it didn't go away I was planning on resurfacing the rotors next, but it sounds like that may not do it. Any one out there with the answer?

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Since everyone has tried tires and rotors, maybe it's the suspension system. I've heard about the front struts going at low mileages.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL

I also have the shimmy shimmy shakes. I popped into the dealer the other day, to inquire about front struts. The service manager asked how many miles. When I told him, he said the struts should be fine, as they normally last near 100k. He stated, which was backed up almost immediately by a service writer, that the tie rod ends fail prematurely on these cars. He said they replace them all the time. So, I am going to get me a set of these, and install them myself, as I never pay $, for what I can do myself. I do not know when I will get around to do this, but will post the results when I have them.

Don

To all who care. I was reading up on this vibration issue, and came across a free "fix". Although I am not claiming this as a fix, it has helped. One person claimed that increasing the air pressure in the tires, fixed thier vibration. I figured, why not give it a try. My SLS sticker, says 30 lb front and rear, which didn't seem right to me, but I kept them at that pressure anyway. It doesn't make sense, as most of the weight is on the front tires, to have the same in the rear. Anyway, I increased the pressures to 34lb front, and 32lb rear. On my trip to and from work today (39 miles each way) I intentionally drove in the 60-75 range, which was my trouble spot. The worst part of that range was 70 mph. With the new pressures, the problem still exists, but is not as bad anymore. Right now, 65 mph is the worst spot in the range, and it isn't too bad. Driving 70 mph is a joy now. On a side note, at speeds above 80 mph, I haven't felt any vibration, before, or after, the new pressures. I am still going to change my tie rods, as it is a cheap repair. If the tie rods do not help, I should be out less than $80.00. So give it a try, if it doesn't help, just put the pressure back. It doesn't cost anything.

Don

tstach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White

Dadillac,

Did you ever replace your tie rod ends, and if so, did that cure your vibration problems?

My 99, with new Michelin MXV4 Plus tires, has the vibration in the same speed range you had.

At 81k miles, I would rather have to replace tie rod ends than consider possibly changing out the struts. I already had the tires road force balanced, which didn't solve the problem.

Wow, this is a thread from the past. I completely forgot about this one. Anyway, tstach, I did change the tie rod ends, and they did not cure the problem. I have so far, changed tie rod ends, complete brake job (4 rotors and pads), rear shocks, front struts, two sets of wheels and tires. The vibration is still there, although it isn't quite that bad anymore. The front struts did the most good here. It is very liveable, and i am not searching anymore. The worst that it feels, is like a tire that is only "slightly" out of balance. The worst speed is about 64 mph. Again, it is just barely noticeable. Good luck.

Don

tstach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White

Thanks for the update. That's what I was afraid of - the struts. I have already done the brakes. I'm going to check my tie rod ends next. Worst case, at 81k miles, I may replace the front struts.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

I'm assuming you guys have done the no-brainer checks like rotating the tires right? I've had bad tie-rod ends on other cars but no shimmy.
    My '99 doesn't do this. Is the shimmy in the steering wheel? In the brake pedal?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.