Shake Shimmy STS - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Shake Shimmy STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Are you guys removing all 6 cradle bolts? I had to replace my steering rack a couple of weeks ago, ...
    agood1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Shake Shimmy STS

Are you guys removing all 6 cradle bolts? I had to replace my steering rack a couple of weeks ago, and I had to remove all 6 cradle bolts. I had the car on a lift and both sides of the cradle supported, but it came down at least 4 inches. That should be enough to get the mounts out......but you will have to remove, or at least loosen all 6 bolts. I tried just the back 4 bolts and it did not move enough for me to get to the rack mounting bolts.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

I had all three driver side bolts out, and the passenger side bolts loose. I jacked up the car, put a jack stand under the driver side, removed the tire, and the cradle only lowered a little.

I came up with a solution though. I just ordered the lower mount plates today. I am going to enlarge the hole of one plate, so that the upper mount sleeve will not contact it, and install another plate over it. It should give at least 1/4 - 1/2 inch additional clearance. So the plates will squish the rubber with more force. I do not see why this would not work, so I am going to try it. The worst that can happen, is I am out another $21.00, and a few hours of my time. I will post with the results when it is done.

Don

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Logandiagnostic
    I also have not found the room to remove the upper mount plate.

I am begining to think the you remove the mount bolts on 1 side....and loosen the mount bolts on the other side. Maybe that will provide enough room...

I also cannot figure out how the lower rubber comes off the cradle....

Logan Diagnostic
    www.logandieselusa.com
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    Working in the driveway, the spacer that goes through it has to come out first. Soak the mounts metal collar with penetrating oil where it sticks through the frame. After it sits a bit, place something thick between the mount and the car body and jack the frame up to push the mount out. When I get a real stubborn one, I hack off the part sticking through the frame and pry the rest of it out.

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT

Exclamation Re: Shake Shimmy STS

Thank you...exactly the info I needed.....I knew you would know....

Not our line of work..

LoganDiagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT

Found a image of the 2005 DTS dogbone....huge part....

It appears it mounts to the front cylinder head then mounts rearward on the frame rail.

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.logandieselusa.com
    www.airbagcrash.com

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

It also looks like the rear trans mount was eliminated.

I was screwing around under the hood of my '98 SLS and I had the parking brake off, with the car in park. I pushed up against the car and then let it roll back. When I saw the engine move, I rocked the car back and forth a few times. It was very interesting to see how much the engine moves around when you do that.
    centaur and centaur like this.

Okay, the lower mount plates that I ordered, showed up yesterday. I immediately took them to the basement, and began work. The center hole is approximately 9/16". I bored out 6 plates, to about 1". I used a 3/4 step drill bit, and finished up with a Roto Zip with a grinding wheel. I installed them this evening (removed old plate and bolt, installed new bored plate on top of old plate, so not iw is double plated), and will update you tomorrow. So far, I can tell that the rubber bushings now have more stress on them. I put about 8 miles on the car after the install, but never got over 45 mph. It may be a placebo effect, but the car does feel a little more solid now. Anyway, I will know if this had any effect, good or bad, at about 6:45 am.

Don

zanyzeuss is offline Cadillac Owners Member

have any of you had your hub assemblies aka "wheel bearings" replaced? I had a shimmy problem on my 94 eldo at 60-80 or so, i had one of them replaced and the problem vanished, same thing on my 97 regal. My 96 just started shimminin at 65-80 before and after new tires and rims off 06 sts. I recently got back to my pothole ridden hometown in wisconsin after being in arizona for a year with the 96 and after hitting a few potholes i believe one of my hub assemblies went again

Well, doing my little mod didn't help. The shimmying is still the same. The car does feel tighter though. Seems to wander less also. So it wasn't a complete waste. Next step, looking at the rear of the car. Last April, my car was rear ended. The bumper cover was damaged, and there are three clips that hold the center section up to the body, that had broken off. That caused the bumper cover to hang down a bit, in the center of the car. While driving it home from the accident scene, the car had the same vibration, only it was worse. So that is the next area I am going to look at. I am beginning to think that the rear bumper cover is working almost like a parachute, and causing the vibration. I'll let all know what happens.

Don

Tombo47 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ETC

STS the only cars lagued with this? My DTS ahs the shakes at 66-74 but its msot likely unequal pressure or tire wear

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Dadillac or Logan or anyone else actively thinking about the original problem on '98+ Sevilles and 2000 - 2005 Devilles...

Any chance someone could fabricate a strut tower brace as a test????

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    Dadillac or Logan or anyone else actively thinking about the original problem on '98+ Sevilles and 2000 - 2005 Devilles...

Any chance someone could fabricate a strut tower brace as a test????
    I am actually considering it. But if I do this, it will not be until the summer, at earliest. In the meantime, I started hunting for aerodynamic issues. I am starting in the front of the car, and working backward. So far, to eliminate hood vibration, I adjusted the plastic adjusters upward. No change. Also, I removed the front hood seal (as it is kind of scoop shaped), and no change. I will be reinstalling that. I will continue to search. Although I will not rule out mechanical issues, I am opinionated that the real problem is aero.

Don

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Both my vehicles are shake and shimmy free at all speeds. Otherwise I would test it myself.

zanyzeuss is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    I am actually considering it. But if I do this, it will not be until the summer, at earliest. In the meantime, I started hunting for aerodynamic issues. I am starting in the front of the car, and working backward. So far, to eliminate hood vibration, I adjusted the plastic adjusters upward. No change. Also, I removed the front hood seal (as it is kind of scoop shaped), and no change. I will be reinstalling that. I will continue to search. Although I will not rule out mechanical issues, I am opinionated that the real problem is aero.

Don
    your problem could be aero as i believe you said earlier that you had been rear ended, but i believe most everone elses problem has to be mechanical, as the car would have shimmied from the factory assuming nothing major has been done to the aerodynamics of the car
    Also i would like to hear from anyone else that has replaced their hub assemblies "wheel bearings" as it did wonders for the shimmying on my cad and buick

tstach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White

There has been a commendable effort here to resolve this problem that has been quite informative and completely logical, which may be the main cause of these vibration issues, but I am going to throw another curve in here.

Just last Friday, I did my rear brakes. I bought brand new EBC sport rotors and AC Delco Dura Stop pads. (which now match what I have on the front brakes.) I do not feel any of the vibrations I had in the 70-78MPH range anymore.

It is possible that this vibration could return after my next tire rotation.

It is also possible that my cradle bushings are not to the point yet to where they are loose enough to cause vibration.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.