Shake Shimmy STS - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Shake Shimmy STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; OK, I put my 98 Seville up on my lift last night and checked the play in the cradle mounts....and ...
    agood1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Shake Shimmy STS

OK, I put my 98 Seville up on my lift last night and checked the play in the cradle mounts....and I found exactly what Logandiagnostic is describing.....there is lots of "WIGGLE" . It would wiggle everything...including the tires....this has got to be the problem....

I was able to tighten my cradle bolts about a 1/4 turn, but that did not help.

I also flipped over the "bowl" style washer on the top of the front struts....didn't notice much difference in the ride...but now I have a clunking noise when I hit a bump....so I am going to flip them back....

SO GUYS, what do we do to correct this....I love my Seville...but I get really frustrated when I drive it and have to deal with the "wiggles" in a car that should ride smooth.
    Will buying new cradle insulators/cushions resolve it? I guess the only place to get then would be from Cadillac.....I can't believe that someone has not made these mounts aftermarket....in poly.

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

agood1, can you take a picture of these cradle mounts? I'd greatly appreciate to see what these things look like so i can look at mine.

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

Exclamation Re: Shake Shimmy STS

Glad someone finally checked their mounts.....

The cradle mounts have a solid inner tube....so you can only tighten the mounts so much.

Just FYI....

With the washers flipped.....and the sockets caught between the cradle and body.....it will make some 'pop' sounds now and then. So that is just a temporary 'test' situation.

I think I have figured out a cheap, solid mount design. But I cannot get the lower rubber to come off the cradle.....it is like its bonded onto the cradle.....

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

I should add....

I would be interested in seeing what the 'new' 2006 Deville cradle mounts look like......and see what material the Bonneville GPX uses for the mounts...

Per Iametarg request.......here is the GM electronic service manual image....the cradle mounts....

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Question. My SLS does not have a strut brace. I am wondering, possibly, if only cars without a strut brace are affected? I do not know what years do or do not have the brace. That is why I am asking. Also, is my car supposed to have one? Thanks

Don

The 1998 Seville/STS, and the 2000 and later Deville/DTS, do not use a upper strut brace. That idea has also crossed my mind....

Earlier E/K cars did use a upper strut brace.

As for the cradle mounts, focus on the upper cradle mounts as being the weak area. Cradle dancing....also the upper strut bushings appear to be very loose.....

Best posting is this:

"OK, I put my 98 Seville up on my lift last night and checked the play in the cradle mounts....and I found exactly what Logandiagnostic is describing.....there is lots of "WIGGLE" . It would wiggle everything...including the tires....this has got to be the problem...."

Tires, wheels, control arms, steering rack, struts, engine and trans all are mounted to the cradle.....

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

Hey Logan,

I wonder if this problem has been since the car was new...I would expect that Cadillac would not sell a car with this problem...so it must only be after the cradle mounts have worn or softened. From what I can tell on GM parts direct, new ones are not too expensive....Do you think replacing them would bring it back to what it should be like? My car has 108K on it and I bought it with 100k on it...so I am don't know what it rode like when it was new.

If you come up with a solution, let me know you can PM me and I will send you my email address.

I will work with you on my end to also help resolve this issue.

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Until its demise in 2002, the Eldorados had dogbone mounts on top. Has anyone heard of them having the shakes?

Ok El Dobro....sounds like you have had a look at the 2006 DTS.

Could the 2006 dogbone/mount be retrofitted to an earlier car? Are the holes there or was the casting changed?

Since I have owned my Seville, I have been hearing about the possibilty of the front motor mount being the cause of the vibration. So I kept my eyes open on Ebay for a new mount. I got it today (only paid $24.00), and installed it. What a major m-fing PITA. That may just be the hardest I have ever worked on a car (probably not). All that I have to finish up on, is hose down the car (anti-freeze everywhere), and install the splash shield, and the radiator cover. I will take it for a ride tomorrow, and keep my fingers crossed.

I started with looking at the cradle mounts. I put the car on jackstands, and tried to move the cradle. I cannot be 100% sure, but I do not believe it moved. If the engine mount does no good, then I will buy the new insulators for the cradle (will run about $80.00 for all 12). It doesn't appear that it would be too difficult to do them.

Check it out. Yesterday I was googing for some aftermarket cradle mounts. What I found was that the 1994 Eldorado had polyurethane mounts. Now, will these mounts fit our newer cars? I may have to check this out at the dealer. But, I will need a VIN for a '94 Eldo. My dealer is very helpful, but without a VIN, they seem to be lost. Can anyone help here?

Don

I took the car for a drive a little while ago, and it seems that the engine mount has helped. I will not know how much, until Monday, when I travel to and from work. The road I traveled, was the road that I used when I bought my car, and brought it home. The car was vibrating when I drove it home from the dealer about 15 months ago. While driving today, it seems like there was almost no vibration at all. On Monday when I use the NJTP, I will see how it handles. But, so far, so good.

Don

I replaced every motor mount on my 98 seville...and nothing helped....so I know my problem is the cradle.

Dadillac:

Here are a couple of VINs for 1994 Eldorados...can you see about the poly mounts and if they will work with the later models?

1G6ET129XRU623844

1G6EL12Y0RU606445

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by agood1
    Dadillac:

Here are a couple of VINs for 1994 Eldorados...can you see about the poly mounts and if they will work with the later models?
    Thanks, if I have time on Monday, I will stop by the dealer, and see what i come up with. I may have to order a few parts, to see what the differences are, but as long as it isn't too much $, I am willing to do the research.

Don

I just discovered that the upper mounts have been superceded with new part #'s. The old number/new number are as follows

25660042 / 25757176

25609339 / 25757175

I am picking up new upper mounts, if for nothing else, just to see what the difference is. I will let you know.

Don

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.