Shake Shimmy STS - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Shake Shimmy STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Find a tire shop with a Hunter 9700 wheel balancer and ask them to do a "road force test" and ...
    pink is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Shake Shimmy STS

Find a tire shop with a Hunter 9700 wheel balancer and ask them to do a "road force test" and to check for bent rims. If you hit any potholes, rocks, road edges, curbs, etc. then chances are a rim could be bent - they are fragile.

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I got news rims/tires and it took care of all kinds of little vibration problems....much bigger effect than I thought.

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT

Exclamation Re: Shake Shimmy STS

I dont think you read the postings....

The 1998 and later Sevilles....and the 2000 later Devilles....seem to have a common vibration issue. If you have one of these cars, you know what I mean.

Rims are ok, tires ok, Hunter balance yes.

Everthing, steering rack, struts, control arms, engine, trans, is mounted to the engine cradle.

Also, these engines do not use upper engine mount dog bones. They use 4 lower mounts as engine/trans mounts. Similar to a mid 90's Ford Taurus. Those cars also suffered from the 'jiggles.'

To me, the engine cradle seems to be mounted too loose. I can easy flex the engine cradle while 'gently' prying on the cradle mounts. I can imagine the cradle moving/dancing around at any speed over 60.

Hence the reason we asked someone, with the SAME car, to check the status of their cradle mounts.

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

tstach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White

If this does turn out to ba a major fix for the vibration issue, can these bushings be replaced without lowering the cradle. In other words, can you drop the bolts out, slide the old bushings out and slide the new ones in?

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Quote Originally Posted by tstach
    If this does turn out to ba a major fix for the vibration issue, can these bushings be replaced without lowering the cradle. In other words, can you drop the bolts out, slide the old bushings out and slide the new ones in?
    I would really like to know that also. Even if the cradle has to be lowered a little, it wouldn't be too difficult. But if it needs to come down several inches, it may be too much for the guy (like me) who has basic jack stands and jack.

Don

The cradle will drop if you remove the 2 bolts. So far, I have been unable to get the mount(s) off the cradle.

So basically, the sockets are still in (clamped between the car body and cradle).

Also modified (stiffened) the upper strut bushings today.

Test drove the car today with very good results! Minimal vibration! If you have one of these cars you will understand the following.....

Warm day (73) The vibration seems worse in warmer weather.

Very strong 30 mph head wind. The harder the head wind, the more it vibrates.

Known road.

The car drove better today than it has since I've owned it.

I think the vibration can be blamed on too soft cradle and too soft upper strut mounts.

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Logandiagnostic
    I dont think you read the postings....
    Have you read mine?
    All I said was changing the tires/rims fixed alot of my vibration problems.....in response to the post immediately preceding mine.

PeteSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The cradle will drop if you remove the 2 bolts. So far, I have been unable to get the mount(s) off the cradle.

So basically, the sockets are still in (clamped between the car body and cradle).

Also modified (stiffened) the upper strut bushings today.

Test drove the car today with very good results! Minimal vibration! If you have one of these cars you will understand the following.....

Warm day (73) The vibration seems worse in warmer weather.

Very strong 30 mph head wind. The harder the head wind, the more it vibrates.

Known road.

The car drove better today than it has since I've owned it.

I think the vibration can be blamed on too soft cradle and too soft upper strut mounts.
    Logan when you say stiffened the upper strut mount do you mean replace, how would we stiffen it.
    I have a 2001 STS with same issues i've been trying to figure out.
    I will check my cradle mounts and do the socket trick.
    Pete

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Those VIN #'s from the Seville in the TSB do not match any numbers on my Seville's VIN. Does that mean that my Seville would be immune to these shakes and shimmy's people are complaining about and that that TSB is addressing?

I cant figure out the VIN issue either. That was a copy and paste from the GM service CD.

As for the strut mount. Here is a original strut picture from another post.

As the car is running, turn the steering a bunch and watch these upper mount 'bowls'....I think you will see a bunch of movement in the rubber......

Here is the temporary fix.

Remove the strut nut. This can be done on the car without spring compressors etc.

I basically flipped the washer 'bowl.' I did use a stack of large washers under the bowl to fill the gap between the strut rod and the underside of the washer bowl.

But, this effectively tightens the upper mount dancing issue. The flipped bowl washer locks to the upper mount.

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by iametarq
    Those VIN #'s from the Seville in the TSB do not match any numbers on my Seville's VIN. Does that mean that my Seville would be immune to these shakes and shimmy's people are complaining about and that that TSB is addressing?
    Basically, the bulletin is saying use the new control arms on 98+ Sevilles built before VIN#3U247643. In otherwords, a Seville built before March of 2003 doesn't have the new arms while the ones built from then on do.

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Here is the temporary fix.

Remove the strut nut. This can be done on the car without spring compressors etc.

I basically flipped the washer 'bowl.' I did use a stack of large washers under the bowl to fill the gap between the strut rod and the underside of the washer bowl.

But, this effectively tightens the upper mount dancing issue. The flipped bowl washer locks to the upper mount.

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com
    ha! Actually your first photo is one I took this weekend when I replaced my struts! in your 2nd picture with the bowl upside down, that is actually how I installed one of them, then realizing my 'error' i flipped to be like a bowl again.

should i have left it as an upside down bowl?

No, it is a tempory fix to isolate the vibration issue in these cars!

Please somebody.....pay attention to the original post......

We are trying to root cause the vibration issue......NOT that we used your pic from last week......good pic BTW.

we dont know the fix yet......thats why we have members try these mods!!

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Logan, it seems that this vibration affects mostly Seville's, and a few Deville's. One thing that I do not beliveve was addressed. What is different (cradle, suspension, etc) from the Seville's to the Deville's? That may well hold the answer. I do not know enough about these cars, to know the differences. Maybe you, or someone else, knows.

Don

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.