Shake Shimmy STS - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Shake Shimmy STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Logan, Thanks for posting the helpful info. I am one of the owners who had the lower control arms changed ...
    JPL189 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 STS

Re: Shake Shimmy STS

Logan,
    Thanks for posting the helpful info. I am one of the owners who had the lower control arms changed by the dealer with no noticible difference. Not quite sure what the difference was between the old and new design, or what they were trying to achieve.

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

From what I understand, GM messed with the bushings on the replacement lower control arms mentioned in the vibration bulletin. The 2006 DTS has the same basic drivetrain as the earlier models, but what they did to curb the vibration was to beef up the lower arms and make them in more of a V shape. They also changed the front engine mount style and position.

tstach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White

I was running at about 31PSI in each tire. I just increased the pressure to 35PSI on all four tires and the vibration has diminished greatly. I can still feel it a little though.

Logan, any luck with those caliper bolts?

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

My shimmy/vibe thart occurred right around 80-85 mph turned out to be something in the wheel/tire. I replaced all four and now its totally smooth all the way from 0-105MPH

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

Ok....the caliper bolts are in. Didnt really fix the vibe. It did reduce some brake sqeal issues and the calipers are much tighter....

Exclamation Re: Shake Shimmy STS

Part 2......

Did have the tires Hunter 9700 road forced balanced at a local Dodge dealer. This DID help a bunch. But still some vibe....

I have also noticed....as mentioned. If you are driving into a strong wind....the vibe is more apparent. I'm starting to think its a powertrain wind up issue.

Hence, I am begining to suspect the outer engine mounts.

I can place a 2x4, as shown in this picture, and produce alot of movement on both sides when prying on the 2x4. Maybe 3/4 to an inch of movement.

Went to cadillac dealer today. They had one mount....but one had to be ordered....should be here Tuesday. The one mount they did have is much tighter then what I have now.

So I guess we'll see what the new mounts do. I hope someone else out there can go check their mounts and report back. I guess chalk it up to crappy engine mount design. The Ford Taurus had a similar design. The 2006 Deville does not use this mount design.

Logan Diagnostic
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.crashdatainfo.com
    www.logandieselusa.com
    www.ledfix.com
    www.logandiagnostic.com

turbocaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

sounds like bad rims 2 me...

Pdip is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Let me tell you a story

I have a 99 STS with 94k and had new Goodyear assurance put on and the problems started. First I noticed that the steering felt sloppy and then as I increased speed the vibration was there. Also the steering wheel was cocked to the left and when making a left turn above30MPH or above it will yank to the left and would have to correct. I drove for a wile like that and took it to another Goodyear shop to fix a flat, I had to buy a Goodyear Ls and took it back again for a re-spin they found all tires except the new one way out of balance. I took a road trip and vibration still there. New rotors and pads all around, Then replaced upper strut mounts outer tie rod ends ordered polyurethane lower control arm bushings because when I jacked up the front end put it in drive and hit the brakes I can see the wheels pull in you can see the slop I also looked at the bushings and they are extremely soft with easy deflexion by hand. The bushings don’t fitsent them back and as far as I can tell nobody makes them. I went to a caddy dealer and had a 4-wheel alignment asked for more camber for my highway driving and a printout before and after. Got the car back rear camber NOT ADJUSTABLE? Road trip -wheel centered car still wanders and still yanks. Bought yaw sensor and installed thinking stability ctrl has a part in the yanking because it happens at the same turning g’s. No change stability ctrl kick in a little sooner on the left turns than the right turns the vibration is still there. The results are as follows no change car feels crap. What next?????? I have plenty of ideas but money is another issue.

gust_1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00' sts

my two cents, it might be bent rims (one or more) as my car does this too, though its only a 94, but is doin the exact same thing. and, i know my car has at least one bent rim, i just dont have the cash to replace it or all four, especially since im trying to sell. but, id have your wheels looked at to see if they are bent. just a guess

Naw.....rims are ok.

The side engine mounts looked ok once taken apart.

POSSIBLE VIBRATION SOLUTION:

Besides mine having a damage upper stut mount. It appears the engine cradle mounts are responsible for a lot of the vibrations these cars have.

The mounts appear to weaken after x amount of time. If you think about it.....everything is related to the cradle mounts....engine, trans, control arms, half shafts, steering rack etc is mounted to the cradle.

Please see attached picture. With my mounts secured as per the service manual. I am able to rotate the upper rubber mount! The mount uses a shaft thru the center of the mount, so the upper and lower plates can only be tighten so far .....the rubber shrinks over time....whola....vibration.

The temporary fix/test....is to install a socket to bridge the mounts. In a way making the craddle a solid mount. See picture.

Also note the screw driver in the picture. It can easily pry the upper rubber up. The upper rubber is not doing anything to help the cradle mount.

Soooo.....the solution will be a tighter mount....maybe the Bonneville GT mount.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Logan, it is my understanding, that the '98-'04 Seville's, have a different cradle design, from the previous, and latter cars. What you say may well be a plausible solution. Are you going to replace / alter the mounts? Please post your findings. You may have just hit the nail on the head. I posted earlier that I thought that it may be an aerodynamic problem. What I am planning on doing first, is cover up the openings in the cradle, and see what happens. So I was going to attack the cradle first. But, your idea makes more sense. Let us know. And thanks for not letting this thread die.

Don

Yes, the craddle for the '98 and latter Seville/Deville models are different.

I would suggest prying on the rear cradle and cradle mounts. I think you will be amazed at how much movement there is available.....now imagine 70 mph....what would the cradle do?

At some point I plan on a solid mount design. Right now, I have a large socket 'trapped' between the cradle and the body (see picture). It seems to have helped a bunch. The socket was installed when the cradle was lowered, its is now trapped as the cradle was bolted back up. Make sense?

Would like to see someone else also try the 'socket fix'....and see if it improves their ride also.

Logan

I just looked at your pic, and noticed the socket. Did you do this in one location only? Or did you do this at all of the mounts? You say that it improved the issue. But how much? Please, inquiring minds want to know. Well, maybe just me.

Don

The sockets are on the rear mounts only.

They are tight 'trapped' in between the car body and the cradle. Due to some dimensional issues....one side is a Craftsman 1/2 inch drive 7/8, the other is a slightly taller 1/2 inch drive 1 inch socket.

I can feel normal road vibrations and patterns and bumps....normal stuff I would expect.

The rythmic vibrations....'nibble'...the 60-70 mph stuff everyone mentions....the ones which I think these cars suffer from.....seem to be gone.....

Get a pry bar or large screwdriver.....go pry on the rear mounts and cradle....you can check them from the side of the car.....I would like to hear if anyone else thinks these look very sloppy.....lots of potential craddle vibrations.....

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

Thanks Logan. I will check mine out the next time we get some nice weather. It is beautiful today, but being Christmas Eve, I cannot get to it today. You mentioned a different mount earlier, from a Bonneville. Are these mounts different in some way? Maybe they are thicker? It would be nice to add a better mount, than a socket, which may or may not fall out.

Don

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.