Shake Shimmy STS - Page 17
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Like Tree1Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Shake Shimmy STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; This is the stuff I *really* hate - trial and error.... with MY money. They should be able to look ...
    ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

Re: Shake Shimmy STS

This is the stuff I *really* hate - trial and error.... with MY money. They should be able to look at the front end and say what's wrong.

Philip Majerus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by sanointed View Post
    I recently purchased a 2001 sls and it has this problem of shimmy at 65-75 mph. I was looking for some answers and ran across your message.Did the dealer ever fix this? I have replaced the tires as well and it didn't go away I was planning on resurfacing the rotors next, but it sounds like that may not do it. Any one out there with the answer?

I have the same make/model and shimmy at the same speeds. Bought it with the shimmy at 18K miles and thought that a set of tires and 18" wheels would fix the problem...silly me. Took it to the dealer with the understanding that I didn't want it back until it was fixed. They replaced lower control arms, one tie rod end, one wheel bearing...all to no avail. The then charged $82 to do a road force balance...no improvement. Next we aligned it front and rear...no help. Had them turn the all four rotor...still scratching their heads. They began swapping tires/wheels from other caddies. The second set reduced the vibration substantially but did not eliminate it. After reading all the comments I am inclined to think that it is a tire/wheel balancing issue. I am going to have my tires "shaved round" and go to a better/experienced tech for another RFB. While i am at it I might as well replace the lug nuts and wire brush the mounting surfaces...I've tried almost everything else. Where is the manufacturer when it comes to systematic defects/weaknesses like this?

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Wow all of the responses on this thread take forever to read! I will say though, I cannot believe the amount of money people are spending to fix the shimmy. My car does it ever so slightly at 60-80MPH. It is annoying, but I would never throw thousands of dollars at the problem if I wasn't 100% sure it would fix it. I'm getting new tires installed soon, along with an alignment and RFB. I'm also going to have my dealer check the front suspension for anything unusual - failing wheel hubs, cv joints, axles, etc. If the car still has a little shimmy, it wouldn't bother me badly.

If the car was brand new and it had it, then yes it would be a problem. Since it's a 9 year old car, I'll accept it and all of its other nasty traits.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Philip, Jack your car up or use a 4-point frame hoist and remove the wheels and brake rotors. Carefully clean the rotor-hub surfaces, replace the rotor/caliper, and carefully clean the rotor-wheel surfaces. (Even a paper tag or label will cause significant runout....) Then torque the studs in a star pattern to 100 ft/lb.

For 1-piece chrome nuts, go to www.ezaccessory.com, left column, surf to long Acorn bulge nuts, through hardened, 12x1.5. $.89 each. Perfect replacement for the flimsy 2-piece units.

Also, the Sevilles are really sensitive to tire flat-spotting from sitting still, especially after a hot day highway run. A GM TSB cautions the diagnosing Tech to go on at least a 10 mile drive to even out the tires before tearing into the wheel/tire/hub.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    ....I'm getting new tires installed soon, along with an alignment ....
    Why the alignment?

Unless there has been collision damage, or suspension parts have been bent somehow, it is very unlikely the geometry is out of specification.

The strut to body and strut to hub mounting bolt holes and mounting bolts are designed to be a tight fit and will place the camber/caster figures within the specifed numbers. GM calls it "net build".

There is no wiggle room for adjustment. If the camber/caster figures do not fall within the published range, something is bent or the strut is not built to OEM standards.

Do a cleanup on all the mating surfaces that rotate. A productive way to spend a Sat. morning.

Ehh I hit a curb a few months ago when backing out the driveway and the damn thing has been pulling to the right ever since.

Well after my tire blew out the other day, i decided to replace all four tires. Since i'm on a budget I went with Tiger Paw Uniroyal's and went down a size to 225/60/16 since they didn't offer the 235 size. I also got an alignment and a road force balance. The car now rides much better than it did before, and the only hint of vibration is between 69-74MPH. Even at that speed, it's not as harsh as it was before. Unfortunately, the handling has suffered tremendously. The smaller tire coupled with the softer sidewalls really show when trying to go around corners. I'll most likely go back with the Symmetry's when these tires wear out. They offer the best compromise between handling and ride comfort.

Since I rarely ever go up to that speed, I'm not going to worry about the vibration. I've driven probably 10-15 different Seville's and 75% of them had the shimmy, some worse than others.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

I just bought a 2000 sls
    and i am have this very same shimmy what is up with it has anyone actualy found the true couse to it i have read but it seems as iff it is still happening in eveyroens seville

DAFFYDRUNK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS

I've probable posted in this thread before, but I'll chime in again for the heck of it. I have a 99 STS that's been shaking to varying degrees since I got it 2 1/2 years and 28k mi ago. I even got a torque wrench to use as a dedicated lug wrench. Current wheels/tires RFB'd.

Anyway, after some minor brake work on a driver's rear by a local mechanic, I noticed the thing was shaking much worse. I maxed out the torque wrench reading getting the lugs off. They must've been 170+ Ft/lbs. Just about broke my back taking em off. I have hub rings for my ASA-Ar1 wheels, so I figured I'd carefully shim them with electrical tape as they fit a little sloppy. Remounted and torqued to 100 ft lbs again. Shimmy back to where it was. Still there but about as good as I've every gotten it. Hubs have been wire brushed a couple times so I skipped that.

On my car at least, I'm thinking the shimmy is really in the rear? Seems like things I do in the rear affect the shake more than the front. I do notice it shimmies more when I let off the gas though. Also shimmies more in a head wind. Maybe some slop somwhere in the drivetrain too? Dunno. Today I'm gonna do the same thing to the front hub rings and re-torque. I have accepted that it's gonna do this till it dies, but like other's, I'm always trying little things to see if I can improve the shake. Can't fully get rid of it but I can get it down to where I'm not thinking about it every time I drive the thing on the interstate.

For now, if anyone notices the vibration, I charge em $.25 for every 15 minutes they ride in the car. Young people and people who haven't stayed in a crappy motels do not understand why though.

derone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac STS

Does anyone have the rear tire camber readings from their alignment sheet? Just wondering if anyone else is seeing higher then normal neg camber at the rear tires. I got -0.9 left and -1.3 right...I ordered some shims today, since after looking at the rear tires, the inside tread portion had feathered a little after 15k miles, w/o rotating them. The rear toe-in was perfect. I also wonder if the ride height sensors may be causing some of this additional camber too.

The shims are installed and they make a huge difference overall, but there is still this one section of highway about 3miles long that makes the rear vibrate, though about half as bad as it was. On almost any other section of highway, it's smooth, more controlled, and I'm definitely pleased with the results. I used a +0.5 degree shim on the left and a +1.0 degree shim on the right for an end product of -0.4 left and -0.3 right rear camber, which is about the middle of their intended range. Swaybar bushings/links are next to try and weed out that last bit of resonance in the rear.
    I'd still like to confirm what others are seeing for their camber readings. If you get an alignment, ask for/demand the spec print outs, before and after.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

From the 2002 STS FSM - Camber, rear, preferred -0.3 - Service at -0.8.

Well after sitting for 3days, the shimmy is back, though still not as bad as it was. This leads me to beleive there is some rubber compression taking a set. I have poly endlinks for the swaybars on order and should be installed this week to see what they'll do. I thinking more likely the rear t-brace/crossmember rubber mounts or rear CA bushings though at this point. I feel the shimmy in the seat(s) not the steering wheel.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.