Shake Shimmy STS - Page 16
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Shake Shimmy STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I had a used 2002 deville, with shake and shimmy at 62-75, it was certified, I had replaced steering rack, ...
    wooded is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 seville

Re: Shake Shimmy STS

I had a used 2002 deville, with shake and shimmy at 62-75, it was certified, I had replaced steering rack, front bearings, wheels, tires, road force, lower control arms, rear shocks, upper front control arm, upper mcpherson bushings, tourque converter, engine mounts and a couple of other parts to no avail. I changed cars to a 2004 seville and have the same shake at 68-100, although dealer sys they only have to ttest to 65mph- a little frustrating. I wish I had kept my 98 deville concourse that could drive thru speed bumps and potholes and never develop a shake.

smagnotta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I feel your pain "wooded", as I have done a lot of the same thing.

I have just replaced the tires, struts, mounts, shocks, coils, front rotors and front hubs, and this helped with the shimmy/shake problem, but it's still there. I called the 1-800 Cadillac service department (1-800-333-4CAD) and they are going to work with a local dealer to get this shimmy problem straightened out. I have a case number and a scheduled appointment.

I believe there is no one cure-all solution to this shimmy problem as each individual car has to be inspected and diagnosed. I tried the tire and rim route, the GM TSB route, replacing suspension components, and changing the front hubs, wheel bearings, rotors and brakes so they all have clean surfaces.

The vibration is still there so I have missed a part or two that still needs replaced. The car is a 99 and has 81K miles, so I do expect rust, corrosion, and break downs of the wear and tear parts. Again, I will post what the dealer and GM advise me to do.

By the way, I told GM about this thread (well the customer service person) and how so many owners are having this problem. I don't expect any real action like a recall but at least I spoke my peace.

DAFFYDRUNK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by smagnotta View Post

...By the way, I told GM about this thread (well the customer service person) and how so many owners are having this problem. I don't expect any real action like a recall but at least I spoke my peace.
    I'd be interested in what they say. At this point I've come to the conclusion my 99 STS is never gonna be anything more than the girlfreind's "drive around town" type of car, as I'm pretty much ready for a fist fight with the dash after more than 10 miles on the highway... or at least I can fire the message thereapist...

Looking at a new GTO and this thing really ruins the whole GM thing for me. I'm actually contemplating a Mustang GT for my own daily driver. Scary.

obnoxus is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yep,, This was very disconcerning to me.

I have always liked the look of the STS in the early 90's

98+ was even better. I was finally in a position to buy one and then this.

Sorry GM,,, A Lexus LS 430 is next in my driveway.

As far as getting what you pay for, Lexus is definitely a grade higher than GM. The LS430 is a beautiful car.

Well, I got my car back and the dealer took care of the shimmy problem by spending 3 hours with the car. They had 2 techs test drive it and then the manager did also.

They rebalanced all the tires but some shake was still there. They said 3 weights were on the inside of one of the front tires (they took those off). They tightened some things and that did the trick but now the car moves to the right (misalignment problem). I am not sure what they tightened but they have "regularly scheduled maintenance" as the line item (at 80,000 miles).

So the shake is gone for now but I need to get an alignment. I have my fingers crossed as I hope the alignment does not re-introduce the shake. I hope it isn't "well you have to live with the shake or the misalignment" type of situation here.

This is the first time in 30,000 miles the car did not shake over 60 MPH. FINALLY!

So what was the solution for me? I am not sure as I have replaced and done so many things in the past 2 years and took the car to the dealer and 5 different garages. I am assuming the "tightening of parts" is what stopped the shimmy. I have to ask the dealer what they tightened.

I will post what happens after the alignment.

OK well they did the alignment and the car runs great. No shake/shimmy. Before the alignment the garage removed 3 weights on one of the front tires - all unnecessary. They also did a Road Force Balance for all 4 tires.

It seems not many shops can really balance tires. It's either the machines or the people running them.

Good luck to all.

Did you ever find out what they " tightened "??????

'

I asked the service dept manager and he said they removed the extra weights on the front rims (tires). I said they had to tighten something - he had no idea. The only thing my invoice said was "scheduled maintenance" on the line item. The car had 80,000 miles on it. They had to do something because right after they had the car the steering wheel felt very tight and the car moved to the right when going in a straight line on a smooth road. It was in alignment when I gave them the car and then afterward it was not. So the manager asked the tech and the tech claims my whole problem was with the weights.

ilovemysportycadilla is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac STS

My 2001 STS needs a new front wheel wheel hub, and somebody at the dealer said that this might contribute to my 65mph vibration. Do you guys think it could be related?

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemysportycadilla View Post
    My 2001 STS needs a new front wheel wheel hub, and somebody at the dealer said that this might contribute to my 65mph vibration. Do you guys think it could be related?

absolutly possible,,,,,,,,,, that fixed the wifes ,,,,,,, mine of course I cant find.

Im starting to think its the rack as I can feel the shake in the steering wheel and both bearings and all tie rod ends have been replaced

They are $110 a piece and very easy to change

Rogue Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wow, I just finished reading this whole thread. Took me almost an hour!

My 2001 DeVille had the original Michelin tires on it up until today. After 35,275 miles, the OEM tires where near their wear indicators. Thinking I'm smart, I just replaced the tires with Goodyear Respons Edge in stock size 225-60/16. Well guess what? Yup. Now there is a shimmy at around 75-80 range. In very smooth roads, the shimmy virtually disappears. In slightly uneven pavement like concrete, there is a definite shimmy.

So from what I have read in this thread so far, it summarizes the following solutions to alleviate most but not all shimmy issues:

1) Clean wheels inside out, as well as hubs, rotors, and make sure they are free of any obstruction/debris/deposits that may cause any imbalance of their rotating mass.
    2) Carefully mount wheel/tire onto vehicle and torque to factory specs.
    2) Perform a Road Force balance job.

Thoughts?

Rogue Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Follow up.....

Well, it turns out the shimmy I'm talking about isn't a serious issue. The people who installed my new Goodyears pumped up my tires to 37 psi!

I took out some air and backed it off to 30 Psi all around and the shimmy is 99% gone. Every once in a while I'll feel a slight shaking on the floor at around 70 but it comes and goes depending on the road surface.

No wonder my new tires were feeling kind of harsh!

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT

Exclamation Re: Shake Shimmy STS

Hmmm..yes.. I noted that vib when I test drove the car...gotta be tires..

Well no. Maybe not..

GM has released new lower control arms...somethings up..

Anyway, good discustion going on over at caddyinfo.com. New forward bushings attempt. See:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.p...st=30&start=30

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

JOHN Z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2002 SLS

I have have my 2002 sls for a year this month. I HAD a shimmy that can in at 43MPH and went away at 52MPH this problem was CORRECTED by replacing both axles.

How ever now it just has like a out of Bal/out of round feel from 55MPH to 85MPH.

The car is great in every respect, but I'm running out of faith with Cadillac.

The car does have 138k and so far to solve the problem I have done the following:

-Replace rack and pinon
    -Installed all new Symmetry's
    -Installed new left frt. wheel bearing
    -Installed all new rotors
    -Installed new tie rod ends
    -Replaced the Symmetry's with Good Year Eagle RSA's
    Numorus wheel alignments and wheels bals, both dealer and tire shop

Still got the shakes

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.