Shake Shimmy STS - Page 14
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Shake Shimmy STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; You might want to check out the 2006+ DTS dogbone set-up. It may be easier to adapt....
    El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Shake Shimmy STS

You might want to check out the 2006+ DTS dogbone set-up. It may be easier to adapt.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Quote Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
    You might want to check out the 2006+ DTS dogbone set-up. It may be easier to adapt.
    Is the N* in the '06 the same as in my '02? Mostly concerned about mounting points and bolt holes. That is why I chose oto inspect a '01 Eldo. The heads and related parts are the same so all of the tapped bolt holes are already there.

Don

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

There's no way to tell if the engines are exactly the same because something as simple as a thread change will change all the part numbers. You can always look under the hood on a DTS to see the layout and if it looks like it'll fit, pick up the assembly at a junkyard when the wrecks start rolling in, which in NJ usually doesn't take too long. If you haven't seen it yet, the dogbone mounts on the side of the head, right above the drive belt tensioner.

irebroff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Seville STS 1999

Last week at a car-wash plant my engine was on and when the brush is cleaning the trunk - SHIMMY

This week engine off - NO SHIMMY

Somebody pulled the fuse of the compressor for the self leveling system?

And then with 5 big persons and a full trunk - shimmy gone...hm...

Compressor - shock isssue?

Is this heavy car not heavy enough at backside for this shocks?

smagnotta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have a 99 Seville STS. The car started the shake/shimmy thing around 55,000 miles. The car never did it before that. The car was vibrating violently. I went through various tires and tire balancing at 4 different shops. A band-aid was replacing the lower control arm, and that took care of 80% of the shaking. It's a lot stiffer than the old one. I have all the tires inflated to 32 PSI cold, alignment done, and road force balanced.

The car needs new shocks/struts so I am going to get these replaced along with the strut mounts, springs, bushings, and other worn out suspension parts. After replacement I will repost my results.

GM has a definite design flaw; these cars are only shimmy free for a small period of time. I have also replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, coolant hoses, brakes, rotors, tires, filters and so on but these are just maintenance parts.

Outside of the usual parts every car needs, I found it annoying that a car of this caliber has a bad front end suspension design. The dealers just give owners the run-around, and all Cadillac wants to do is give owners a coupon for money off a new one.

DavidCL2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am about to purchase a 2001 STS. If the car has a shake at 70mph speed should I be concerned? Do you think a simple road speed balancing will likely fix the issue?

Thanks in advance,
    David

P.S.
    Did anyone fabricate a new engine brace, like the dogbone that was mentioned before?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCL2 View Post
    I am about to purchase a 2001 STS. If the car has a shake at 70mph speed should I be concerned? Do you think a simple road speed balancing will likely fix the issue?

Thanks in advance,
    David

P.S.
    Did anyone fabricate a new engine brace, like the dogbone that was mentioned before?
    I am considering fabbing up an upper mount on the cheap. I do not think it will help, but I have to try. My sugestion to you is simple. If you test drive a Seville, definitley get it into the 60-75 mph range. If it doesn't vibrate then you are golden. If it does vibrate, assume that it will always do it no matter what you attempt to do (including road force balancing), and decide if you can live with it. I didn't notice the vibration until I had already signed on the dotted line and was driving home. I will not get rid of the car for this vibration issue though. It is a minor annoyance wrapped up in a superb automobile.

Don

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

I wouldn't at all assume that if a car you are test driving has a vibration at speed that it'll just ALWAYS do that. There are so many unknowns. You have no idea if the tires are properly balanced, or if they're perfectly round. You have no idea of the wheels are improperly torqued. There are a variety of solutions to this problem that MAY solve it. True, sometimes there seems to be "no solution" with some vehicles. But writing it off as unsolvable after a single test drive is jumping to conclusions in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jadcock View Post
    I wouldn't at all assume that if a car you are test driving has a vibration at speed that it'll just ALWAYS do that. There are so many unknowns. You have no idea if the tires are properly balanced, or if they're perfectly round. You have no idea of the wheels are improperly torqued. There are a variety of solutions to this problem that MAY solve it. True, sometimes there seems to be "no solution" with some vehicles. But writing it off as unsolvable after a single test drive is jumping to conclusions in my opinion.
    You are correct in saying that. But considering how many have the vibration between 60 and 75, it seems that these rarely get resolved. If it vibrates at other speeds, then it isn't the infamous "shimmy". And assuming that it will always vibrate after the test drive is a good way to go. It would be real disappointing to pay for the car with anticipation of curing the ill, and not being able to. I have spent about 5k trying to figure it out and haven't yet. So if you test drive a '98 thru '04 Seville, or a '00 thru '05 Deville, and it vibrates/shimmies between 60 and 75, and then goes away above 75mph, assume that it will always do it, and pay accordingly. Or just walk away. Not saying it is impossible to fix, just not probable.

Don

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

Wow, I remember reading this way back when it started, can't believe people are still having this problem. Since it seems systemic, at a predictable speed, and repeatable, I'm wondering if it has to do with the active shocks and some sort of resonance that they can't quite deal with on the Sevilles. Has anyone reported on conversion to say the passive Monroe, Gabriel, Boston, or Arnott suspensions?

Dadillac are you running OEM front struts? Are your stabilizer bar links bushing and not ball joint type?

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    Wow, I remember reading this way back when it started, can't believe people are still having this problem. Since it seems systemic, at a predictable speed, and repeatable, I'm wondering if it has to do with the active shocks and some sort of resonance that they can't quite deal with on the Sevilles. Has anyone reported on conversion to say the passive Monroe, Gabriel, Boston, or Arnott suspensions?

Dadillac are you running OEM front struts? Are your stabilizer bar links bushing and not ball joint type?
    My SLS came from the factory with passive units. I replaced all 4 dampers on the car so it is highly unlikely that it is a shock or strut issue. I am going to do an experiment by removing the rear shock air pump fuse, and disconnecting the air lines. I will post my findings when I have done it. And my sway bar links are a design I have never seen before. They seem to have the upper and lower bushings, with a very wide center section. Just as wide as the bushings. I do not believe that a sway bar issue can be the cause of the shimmy as it happens on straight flat highway. The sway bar is just a long for the ride on such roads.

Don

interesting, you know I wonder if it may also be due to the lack of support of your subframe and the angle at which your driveshaft meets the front wheels. I am wondering do you have the ride height sensors on your car since you don't have the front active struts? If so, have you tried to 'lower' the car by relocating the ride height sensor arms by either bending or redrilling the attachment point on the sensor arm to see if that helps anything?

Also, I would try tossing on a different set of springs, maybe try Eibachs that lower the car an inch and a half and see if that helps.

Lets see, you mentioned adding the front dogbone mounts which may be worthwhile.

Can you post a pic of your front swaybar links? I'm curious as to what they look like now...

At this point I see you've basically hit every possible angle on this sucker so I'm just throwing out anything I can come up with no matter how crazy it may sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    interesting, you know I wonder if it may also be due to the lack of support of your subframe and the angle at which your driveshaft meets the front wheels. I am wondering do you have the ride height sensors on your car since you don't have the front active struts? If so, have you tried to 'lower' the car by relocating the ride height sensor arms by either bending or redrilling the attachment point on the sensor arm to see if that helps anything?
    Also, I would try tossing on a different set of springs, maybe try Eibachs that lower the car an inch and a half and see if that helps.

Lets see, you mentioned adding the front dogbone mounts which may be worthwhile.

Can you post a pic of your front swaybar links? I'm curious as to what they look like now...

At this point I see you've basically hit every possible angle on this sucker so I'm just throwing out anything I can come up with no matter how crazy it may sound.
    I have tried adjusting the ride height with the sensor. Only problem being that the springs set the ride height. The load leveling shocks do not affect the ride height with no load in the car. I once removed the airlines to the shocks, disconnected the height sensor linkage and set it as if the car was jacked up a mile high, and drove around the block a few times. This resuled in no rear end droop. It was still at the same height. But I did not try and take the load leveling out of the picture by disconnecting and driving in the 60-75 range. I will try it one of these days. I will get a pic of the sway bar links as soon as I can.

Don

Yeah I realize the springs set the height, but if your springs are old they may be sagging somewhat and you might be able to adjust to this which may tighten things up.

I'm really at a loss here, I need to feel this shimmy, it's gotta be something silly, won't you be pissed if after 2 years it ends up being an .02 cent part

smagnotta is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well my car needed suspension parts due to wear, tear and age, so here I will post what I replaced. The car still shakes between 65 and 73 MPH. The car has 80,000 miles and has had the "shakes" since 55,000 miles. It's a 99 STS.

1- Front lower control arms
    2- Front suspension, both sides:
    a- strut mount
    b- upper insulator
    c- dust shield
    d- lower insulator
    e- strut
    f- coil spring
    3- Rear suspension, both sides:
    a- shock absorber
    b- coil spring

Replaced with Monroe shocks and struts, the rest of the parts are stock GM. I have the electronic suspension system, ride control, auto leveling, etc.

I just had the tires balanced and rotated and a 4 wheel alignment.
    I've tried these tires, they all give the shakes:

1- Goodyear Eagles
    2- General brand tires
    3- BF Goodrich Traction T/As (on car now)

Replacing the lower control arms did help with the vibration. The car was shaking violently between 65 and 80 MPH. After replacing them, the vibration was reduced by 80% and the shake range has been reduced to 65-73 MPH. There was a Technical Service Bulletin released by GM for Buicks, Cadillacs and other GM vehicles manufactured from 1998 to 2004 regarding this issue, and their solution was to replace the lower control arms.

The questions I have are this: my vehicle did not exhibit this behavior until I hit around the 50K mile mark (after 6 years), so I am wondering if this is something due to the wear of a part or system of parts no one has attempted replacing yet? How did any of these cars get off the sales lot (new or used), especially since a lot of dealers I've dealt with give the customer at least 2 weeks and even a month to return the car no questions asked (minus the first car payment of course)? If this would have occurred when I purchased the vehicle, I would have spent that first month attempting to fix the problem, and after being unsuccessful I would have returned the car. For most of us, it took time to develop so now we have to live with it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.