Shake Shimmy STS - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Shake Shimmy STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Dadillac After driving yesterday and today, the shimmy is still present. The hub change has done wonders ...
    tstach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White

Re: Shake Shimmy STS

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    After driving yesterday and today, the shimmy is still present. The hub change has done wonders at improving the situation, and it has been diminished quite a bit.
    What about the rear hubs? Do you think they may need to be replaced?

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Quote Originally Posted by tstach
    What about the rear hubs? Do you think they may need to be replaced?
    Way ahead of you. I checked them yesterday, by doing the one hand high, one hand low, wiggle test. They seem to be fine. The strange thing is that the shimmy has lessened, but not changed. If that makes sense. I am guessing ball joints. I will do another wiggle test on the fronts, and see what happens. I hope it isn't ball joints. Getting those rivots out will be a nightmare. I guess that will give me a reason to buy the angle grinder that I have always wanted though.

Don

Red-October is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Re: Shake Shimmy STS

Hey All,

I just got my car back from Cadilliac. They tested my hubs and it turns out the rear passenger hub was a little off versus the rest of the car. They replaced it and the vibration is 99% gone. Every now and then I feel it a little bit and the passenger seat shakes a tad but it's as good as it's going to get. The master tech at this dealership says that because of the stiffer suspension, i'm going to feel EVERYTHING on the road. Anyways, I'm very happy with the car overall. There's a lot of annoying little things that are still waiting to be fixed but I hope that once they're taken care of, that's it. When I get the actual service printout, I'll post exactly what they did to my car. Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

John

Well I think I damaged the passenger side axle shaft while removing the hub. I am getting a terrible metal squeak whenever the shaft is moving in and out. I know this will not be cheap, and may be a PITA. I have never changed a CV before, so it will be a new experience. Will it ever end?

Don

Since the shimmy hasn't completely disappeared, I ordered rear hubs today. The part number is 812003, and got the pair on Ebay for $240.60. I will post with results.

Don

Red-October is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cool Re: Shake Shimmy STS

I fixed the vibration 100%. It turns out that one of my tires was inflated at 24 while the rest were at 30. I reinflated the tire and there's no vibration at all. Combined with a hub bearing and a hub being replaced, the car drives like a dream.

John

Free Willie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 SLS (totaled by deer) 2003 DTS

Hey Dadillac, I've been following this thread with great interest as I have the same issue on my 2000 SLS. I also buy alot off Ebay but I can't seem to find the hubs, shocks or stuts like you have. What are you searching under or using for keywords?
    I am currently recovering from shoulder surgery so I havn't been able to experiment with yours and Logandiagnostics ideas yet but I would like to start gathering parts so any info would be apprieciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Free Willie
    Hey Dadillac, I've been following this thread with great interest as I have the same issue on my 2000 SLS. I also buy alot off Ebay but I can't seem to find the hubs, shocks or stuts like you have. What are you searching under or using for keywords?
    I am currently recovering from shoulder surgery so I havn't been able to experiment with yours and Logandiagnostics ideas yet but I would like to start gathering parts so any info would be apprieciated. Thanks
    When searching a part number in Ebay, you need to click the title and description box. Otherwise, it just searches titles. As far as shocks and struts, you need to be patient, and check Ebay everyday. Items like the hubs are there all the time. Good luck with your recovery. I go in for my knee on May 1st. That is why I am trying to get as much as I can done now. Because it isn't going to be easy, or smart, to do anything during my recovery.

Don

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT

Exclamation Re: Shake Shimmy STS

Ok.....this may be it......

Been having a problem with the front axle. 6 months ago tried to replace....but could not get the hub out of trans.

Yesterday, had new axle and axle shaft puller here. Got the axle snub out of trans. Snub has very strange wear. (see pic)

I think in this car the trans shaft bushing is gone. The bad news is this bushing is not available.....you have to buy the complete case extension..... plus select washers etc....mess...

So the new axle is in. It was a slightly different part. Noticably heavier on the transmission side.

Now the vibe is worse with the heavier part....ahhhh.....clue.

Got this theroy from another post on net....

"The bearing/bushing/case in the trans axle, where the axle enters, was worn and the axle was loose.
    At high speeds the axle would bow out at the inner CV joint (run in an elliptical fashion).
    This whipping effect caused the vibration."

I think this is exactly whats going on. Please note the damaged bearing surface on the snub.

I can pry on the axle snub and it moves.

Okay, here is what I have done already. After the list of parts, the shimmy is still there, although not as bad.

Front outer tie rod ends
    Four sets on tires
    Three sets of wheels
    Front struts
    Rear shocks
    Road force balance
    All four brake rotors
    Brake pads
    Adjusted tire pressure
    Strut tower brace
    All four hub assemblies
    Front motor mount
    Installed spacer in engine cradle mounts, to clamp cradle tighter to the car

I am sure that I am missing something that I have done. But so far, all of these had an overall little effect on the issue. I spoke of retro fitting dog bones onto the car earlier. I will be trying this next. Unless Logan can give positive feedback to his tranny/axle situation. I just wish it was legal in NJ to drive without a hood. I would remove it, and see how much the engine is moving at speed. I also wish I had one os those small wireless video cameras. I could see what it is doing then also. Maybe I will just cut a huge hole in the floorpan, and watch it through there. But when I do the dogbones (providing I can get them to fit), I will update the thread.

Don

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The only things missing in your list are the updated control arms.

Quote Originally Posted by El Dobro
    Relentless aren't we?

Don

PeteSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by El Dobro
    My buddy put the new control arms on his 1999 STS with no change,he said it was a waste of money.

Dooman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Black and Tan STS

Quote Originally Posted by PeteSTS
    My buddy put the new control arms on his 1999 STS with no change,he said it was a waste of money.
    Funny, that's the exact way my wife feels about our 99.. "waste of money"

Oh! You meant just the control arms...

ohioplayer77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

went throw the same thing you did! 2001 sts 17 in rims. i found the fix, thought about calling caddy and selling it to them. dealer also told me it was a bad rim regarding the offset design or the rim. anyway here is what i did. luckily i used to work at a local service station and had access to a tire balancer. i removed all the tires on the car. removed all the weights that were on the rim, and spun each one. i took the roundest two tires and saved them for the front of the car, the least round for the back. i then balanced each tire in the static mode (that means you just put the weight on the inside of the rim.) after the tire balanced out perfect in static mode, i then balanced it in normal mode (that means you put weight on inside and outside of rim.) without removing the previous weight i put on in static mode. after i got a perfect balance in normal mode i went back to static, again without removing any weight put on so far. i did this back and forth till i got a perfect balance in normal and static modes. You will do this from 2 to 4 times a tire, and also have weights spreed all over the rim. some directly across from each other, you may be tempted to remove some weights as you go. DO NOT. i tried everything and this really WORKS. sounds crazy and long, but IT WILL WORK! and save you time in the long run

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.