Shake Shimmy STS - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Shake Shimmy STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well.....somewhat back to square one.....2 weeks ago is was forced into a ditch by a near head on.... I was ...
    Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

Exclamation Re: Shake Shimmy STS

Well.....somewhat back to square one.....2 weeks ago is was forced into a ditch by a near head on....

I was checking the front alignment today and the front toe was knocked way off....

Now need to get a tire rebalance etc....

Anyway, looked up the 2001 Eldorado today. It still uses the upper dog bones. The question is....is it also using the 2000 and newer Northstar block?

So the upper Eldo dog bones may also help the problem. The parts may bolt right onto the engine. It of course would have to be modified at the radiator support. But the dog bones and engine mounts may be a direct fit......at least maybe for the 2000 and newer block.

Logan Diagnostic
    www.logandieselusa.com
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Shake Shimmy STS

The front head for the 01 Eldorado and 01 Deville have the same part#, so the brackets should go on. The radiator support is another story.

I now think my tires are ok.

After last nite drive home the car was perfect. Now....

For me the issue comes and goes....I dont mean by mileage...by rather drive cycles...

The home aliangnment to fix the toe. I must be close...as the car drove perfect last nite.

With the solid mounts...very imporved riding. Still getting some come and go mild issues. Still way better

NOW....find this GM TSB...RF side...same side as my issues.

On my car.....the RF Hub, RF shaft, have both be replaced. Also the upper RF strut mount was wasted.

Hunnn?

Anyway...the TSB....

"When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:
    Uneven right front brake wear with the right front outboard pad being worn an amount inconsistent with the rest of the front brake pads

Recommendation/Instructions:
    Inspect the front caliper(s) for binding/seizure at either the slides or caliper piston (Outboard pad wear is not usually caused by a binding caliper piston, however since this condition is not fully understood the recommendation is made to ensure nothing is overlooked). Verify there is no residual hydraulic pressure acting on the right front caliper which could cause brake drag.
    If there are no signs of excessive heat, binding, or residual hydraulic pressure, replace the brake pads.
    Do not machine the brake rotors unless required under the conditions of existing gm procedure. (Excessive warpage/scoring, see applicable service bulletins and service manuals).
    Follow the burnishing procedure listed in the service manual (DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP, PER ENGINEERING).
    Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

Models:
    (98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04 KB Cadillac Seville) and (98, 99, 00, 01, 02 EB Cadillac Eldorado) and (98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04 KSP Cadillac Deville) and (00, 01, 02, 03, 04 HB Buick LeSabre) and (99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04 CB Buick Park Avenue) and (00, 01, 02, 03, 04 HB Pontiac Bonneville)"

Not a "well understood issue" at GM. Crap...I'm on my own. The car sometimes 'feels' like a caliper 'may' be have a light dragging effect.

Lately, I have been pressing the petal too the floor...VERY hard...all the way...hard. Bottom out....And the issue seems to go away....

Caliper issue?

Just more info.........

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

The strut brace came today, and it is now on the car. Unpackaging it took about 8 minutes. Installation took about 3 minutes. It isn't the heaviest duty part I have ever seen, but it is pretty cool. I will post my findings on if it improves our "issue" after I test it out. Here are a few pics.

Don

Well that ain't it. I took the car out to pick up some oil filters for tomorrow. The car feels exactly the same. I am going to leave the brace on though. Because it looks badass. Tomorrow when I am under the car, I am going to eyeball the crank sensors, for when they come in. Also, I am going to check the tightness of the steering rack. something tells me it may be a little loose.

Don

Also, when I changed my rear shocks last year, I bought shocks that were not exactly the same as what came from the factory. As soon as I put them on, the car rode a little bit firmer. Today, I just scored a pair of brand new shocks, that are the correct ones, from Ebay. Total cost was $78.03. Can you tell that I am happy. There is a Cadillac dealer in Arizona, that is practically giving atuff away on Ebay. Check them out.

Don

While changing the oil today, I did a little research. I beleive it was El Dobro who said he moved his car, and watched the engine move. I did the same, and holy crap, the thing moves like it isn't even bolted down. So for research purposes, I did the same to my wife's Infiniti. surprisingly, her engine moved also, but not near as much. I am now SERIOUSLY considering trying to install dogbones on my Seville. I just need to find a 2000 - 2002 Eldorado to inspect. I see a couple of unoccupied threaded holes on the front side of the head, so that one should be straight forward. But the rear bone is the issue. I need to see how it is mounted, to make sure I have what is needed on my Seville. If anyone in NJ reads this that has a 2000 - 2002 Eldo, and is willing to let me eyeball your engine, let me know. I will not be disturbing anything, just have to remove the plastic radiator cover. Thanks

Don

Well I have had the strut brace on the car for a little while now. It did nothing for the shimmy, but, it does wonders for cornering. I can take corners at least 5-10 mph faster, before the tires squeal. So it wasn't a total loss.

Anyway, I changed my brake rotors today. The old ones weren't bedded good enough, and I was getting the old brake wobble. While chenging them, i did a wheel hub test. I grabbed the bottom and top of the tire, and wiggled it in and out. I am getting some movement on both wheels, but the right side moves more than the left. I couldn't tell if it was the hub, or possibly the ball joint moving. I am assuming that there should be zero movement when doing this test? Am I to also assume, that if a hub is failing, even slightly, it should make a noise while turning? I will have to check on this. I always drive with the windows up, and the stereo on. I will do the parking lot test. Thanks for any info that can be given.

Don

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    Well I have had the strut brace on the car for a little while now. It did nothing for the shimmy, but, it does wonders for cornering. I can take corners at least 5-10 mph faster, before the tires squeal. So it wasn't a total loss.

Don
    Thanks for that feedback. I was starting to fear that everyone had thrown in the towel on the shake shimmy issue.

It is possible the strut tower brace was eliminated during the '98 redesign as a weight saving / cost saving item. Sounds like some drivers would enjoy the performance benefit of the brace and to hell with the potential saving.

But that begs the question; why is there a factory part number and was the part intended for export vehicles only?

We may never know the 'rest of the story'.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    Thanks for that feedback. I was starting to fear that everyone had thrown in the towel on the shake shimmy issue.

It is possible the strut tower brace was eliminated during the '98 redesign as a weight saving / cost saving item. Sounds like some drivers would enjoy the performance benefit of the brace and to hell with the potential saving.

But that begs the question; why is there a factory part number and was the part intended for export vehicles only?

We may never know the 'rest of the story'.
    I have not thrown in the towel. If I never get the shimmy to go away, I still love this car. But, it is my lifes mission, to figure it out. It is very confusing why there is a factory brace, but they were never installed on the cars. A co-worker had thought that Caddy found the shimmy problem, but instead of recalling multi-thousands of cars, just came out with the part. But alas, it wasn't to be. I do not believe it was a weight issue, as this thing is feather light. Shipping weight was four pounds. It does help eliminate some body flex in turns, allowing more stable cornering. I keep pushing the turns, to see how fast I can go. I do not push too hard, because crashing into a gaurd rail isn't an option. I will do some research on the hubs (they are expensive so don't want to just buy them) and see what i can figure out.

Don

Since the off road ditch issue.....be trying to get everything back in order.

Something that came to mind.....There must be a very specfic relationship between the engine cradle and the engine position.

Looking thru the service manual. Found out there are some cradle/body aliagnment holes. My holes do not line up...my cradle got bumped during the accident.

Off to Sears today for a 4 wheel aliagnment. But first the cradle will have to be adjusted. See picture....

It seems it would be really easy to bump the cradle out of position.

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

I should mention...see #1 in the picture. That is the aliagnment holes for craddle to the body.

Went to Sears.....mentioned to Sears that the cradle needed to be adjusted before aliagment....they wouldnt touch it. Wow. I would think any place doing wheel aliagnments on Sevilles and Devilles would check the craddle position first. If not, we are wasting both of our time...

No charge by Sears though...did get a printout of the current settings.

Guess I am on my own to adjust the craddle.

Logan Diagnostic
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.ledfix.com
    www.logandieselusa.com

It's fixed men. The Woodbridge shimmying '02 Seville SLS is no more. Say hello to Mr. Shimmy Gone. (I will not consider this problem history until I drive to work tomorrow). Today was the first day, since I bought this car on November 13, 2004 that I do not feel a shimmy. A big thumbs up to El Dobro for pointing me in the right direction. Front wheel hubs. I changed them yesterday and today, and the shimmy is gone. Woo F'n Hoo. I am happier than, well, anything that is happy. I strongly suggest that you folks change yours also.

Here is a rundown of tips that will help you along with the process. First, buy your hubs from Ebay. Just search for part number 513179. You need to do a title and description search. These hubs fit a multitude of GM vehicles, so do not be alarmed if your Caddy isn't listed. There is a seller on Ebay selling these for $90.00, + about $15.00 shipping. I didn't want to wait, I wanted to do them yesterday, and I paid $185.00 each locally. Be patient, and get them cheap.

Now some tips. Number one most important tip, make sure you have a 13mm 6 point socket. I used a 12 point, and stripped out two of the six bolts. That was not fun. You also will need some kind of a swivel. I used a swivel extension, and it worked fine. If you do strip a bolt, first get it out, and replace it. I would suggest getting 6 fresh bolts from the dealer before you begin, but if you don't, they can be reused. If you find the need for a replacement bolt, get 12mm x 1.75 x 50. I had to get 60's, but made up for the length with some washers.

Next, have some penetration lube, and a BFH handy. My right side hub was a mess. The axle shaft was rusted pretty bad in the splines. While using a heavy duty gear puller, the puller bolt was actually boring itself into the end of the axle shaft. That hub was holding on for dear life. With Ranger's help, I bought a ball peen hammer, and used a sledge to hit the ball peen, and get it free. I then cleaned up the splines, and reassembled.

The axle nut size is 33mm. But a 34mm works just fine (don't ask me why I had to know that). The torque specs are:

Hub to knuckle bolts: 95 ft/lbs

Axle shaft nut: 118 ft/lbs.

I hope that anyone with the shimmying issue, will replace your hubs. I didn't want to spend the money, but figured I would just bite the bullet. Get them from Ebay, and you will get two for a little more than the price of one retail. Save your $, and get them there. I will post back tomorrow, after driving to and from work, and give an update.

Don

Red-October is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hello All,

I just bought a 2002 STS and I have the vibration problem as well. It's still under warranty and I took it into the dealership. After some G force testing, they determined that 2 of my tires had broken belts. I had them replace the tires and they sanded down the part where the hub contacts the wheels. They also replaced the front hub bearing (i think?). When I got it back, the vibration was less but still there. It's like a seat of the pants/middle of back vibration. I contacted the dealership and I'm heading back there tomorrow. I will let you know how they plan on fixing it.

John

After driving yesterday and today, the shimmy is still present. The hub change has done wonders at improving the situation, and it has been diminished quite a bit. if the shimmy I was feeling was a big ugly ogre, then it is now a little pest that annoys that big ugly ogre. Considering the condition of the right side hub that was removed, I am thinking that the axle shaft may be less than perfect. I am also thinking that the ball joint may be worn. I will do more searching, and see what I find. But with the improvement at the wheel, I am putting the dog bone install on the back burner for now.

Don

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.