Shake Shimmy STS - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Shake Shimmy STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; tstach Before your brake job, were you experiencing the 60-75 mph shimmy/vibration? When driving over 75, did the shimmy disappear? ...
    Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Re: Shake Shimmy STS

tstach

Before your brake job, were you experiencing the 60-75 mph shimmy/vibration? When driving over 75, did the shimmy disappear? While driving down the road, and the car was shimmying, did it just disappear, and reappear a short time after? This is the issue that we have. Not a constant vibration, that just keeps getting worse, the faster you drive. This is an annoying parasite that is sucking the bejesus out of me.

Don

tstach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White

Before the brake job, I had vibration from about 68MPH to about 78MPH. 80MPH and higher - no vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by tstach
    Before the brake job, I had vibration from about 68MPH to about 78MPH. 80MPH and higher - no vibration.
    Thanks. I was actually considering swapping in a good set of rotors anyway. I cheaped out and got a lesser brand. My brakes vibrate on occassion, and the rotors may have warped again. So, hopefully , when I get around to doing this, it will solve the shimmy issue.

Don

I ordered a strut brace this evening. It only cost $29.91 from www.gmpartsdirect.com. I was looking all over the web for a brace, but could not find one. Ends up there was one under my nose the entire time. Cadillac makes one, and it is on my parts list. I was going to make one myself, which I am sure, would have cost me more than $30.00. Once it is in, I will post how it helps, or doesn't help. I am not expecting any good report. but, if I don't do it, I will always be wondering.

Don

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

Exclamation Re: Shake Shimmy STS

Please explain your discovery....part #....application....etc. Limo/ heavy duty part?

Thanks...

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.logandieselusa.com
    www.airbagcrash.com

tstach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac
    I ordered a strut brace this evening. It only cost $29.91 from www.gmpartsdirect.com
    That's odd that one is offered. Wondering why it wouldn't have been factory installed.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by Logandiagnostic
    Please explain your discovery....part #....application....etc. Limo/ heavy duty part?

Thanks...

Logan Diagnostic
    www.ledfix.com
    www.logandieselusa.com
    www.airbagcrash.com
    I don't know where Dadillac got his information, but this picture is an export (Japan) STS from another post somewhere on this forum. Notice it is 2000 model or later as the engine has COP ignition. According to the other post, the brace part# is 25653157.

Go to the Cadillac Tech Tips section of the forums. In there, at the top, is a sticky for '98-'04 parts list, that was posted my iametarq. Open it up, and open the link. When the pages load, look at page number 198. On the left side bottom, you will find the brace. I found this yesterday morning, and called a dealer. He was under the impression it was a support for the radiator. I kept looking at the pic all day, and know that this is the strut brace that is in those car pics. And at $30, I couldn't say no. It is worth a shot.

Don

Exclamation Re: Shake Shimmy STS

The Deville is set up a bit different then Seville.....

Can someone measure the distance between the strut forward bolts?

On the Deville, I'm showing 44 inches...see picture.

I want to know if it is the same distance as the Seville before ordering the strut brace.

I think it would be right on top of the brake fluid fill cap....2001 Deville pic...

Logan, I just checked my car, and it is 44". It seems that the Deville's are more cab-forward than the Seville's though. My brake reservoir is about even with the top strut nut. As long as the reservoir is lower than the strut towers, I do not see why it wouldn't work. Let me get mine first, and I will post how things are.

Don

wallace902 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 deville,98 Park avenue,

Hi dadillac.I just call my local dealer today .The struts brace have to special order take 3-5 days and ship from Michigan.That cost me $75Cad.

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Has anyone tried replacing the control arm bushings with aftermarket HD type ones? The original bushings were new for 1998 and are special in that they're designed to deflect the arm when hitting potholes, etc. to lessen the impact to the rest of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by El Dobro
    Has anyone tried replacing the control arm bushings with aftermarket HD type ones? The original bushings were new for 1998 and are special in that they're designed to deflect the arm when hitting potholes, etc. to lessen the impact to the rest of the car.
    Not sure what you mean. The stock control arm bushings are made of a soft rubber? If that is the case, then that could be a possible cause. Please elaborate. Also, if this is the case, does anyone make poly bushings for the arms? Energy Suspension maybe?

Don

El Dobro is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Here's what it says in the 1998 Seville technical manual. "The control arms' front pivot bushings are rubber-hydraulic designs, which permit the use of a very low fore-and-aft rate without incurring undesireable vibrations. The soft rate in this direction permits the front wheel to move slightly rearward over bumps to minimize impact harshness. By aligning the control arms' rear pivot bushings with the front wheel centerline, they can be tuned more firmly to resist lateral forces, thereby providing sharp steering response. The front suspension's compression travel is 7 percent greater than the 1997 Seville".

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.