91 Eldo: inflation advice for larger tires?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 91 Eldo: inflation advice for larger tires? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Folks, About two years ago I replaced the standard 215/60-16 tires on my 1991 ETC with the 225/55-16 size. I ...
    EldoRedo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ETC (Crimson)

91 Eldo: inflation advice for larger tires?

Folks,

About two years ago I replaced the standard 215/60-16 tires on my 1991 ETC with the 225/55-16 size. I wanted a little more stopping capability given this car's notorious poor brakes. The larger tires have have been great -- but I have always wondered whether I needed to change the recommended inflation pressure on the door sticker, which is 28 psi front and 26 psi rear. So far they seem to be wearing OK at those pressures.

Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks.

PS I have been running General Altimax HP tires and have no complaints.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

STS_Seville_Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville

Re: 91 Eldo: inflation advice for larger tires?

I perfer 35 in each wheel thats what I learned was good while I worked at Chevrolet.
    Be sure to post pics of your car in the '86 - '91 Roll call thread in the Seville/Eldo forum

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

35 psi is a tad high for that car's suspension and tire size, and might introduce premature center treadwear.. 30-32 front and 28-30 rear would be a good compromise.

If you are a driver of twisty roads and like to experiment, there's no harm with moving cold inflation pressures up or down a few psi to see what feels "best".

Different car: my STS calls for 30/30 but I find I have the same treadwear and better handling at 33/33.

EldoRedo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ETC (Crimson)

Thank you!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.