2002 STS, EBC Black Dash rotors, Redstuff ceramic pads
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 2002 STS, EBC Black Dash rotors, Redstuff ceramic pads in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; 5 weeks ago, up the road at my neighbor's transmission shop, we installed a 4 wheel set of EBC Gen3 ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

2002 STS, EBC Black Dash rotors, Redstuff ceramic pads

5 weeks ago, up the road at my neighbor's transmission shop, we installed a 4 wheel set of EBC Gen3 Black Dash rotors and Redstuff new compound ceramic pads. Straightforward brake change, by the book, just over 2.5 hours.

We checked each new rotor for runout with a dial indicator and did not have to cut any of them. Break-in on these is maddening: for the first 100 miles of city/suburban driving, using increasing brake applications, there was a nasty front brake judder, steadily decreasing with accumulating mileage. Now, after 550 miles, the set is as smooth as glass and will stop the car from 135 mph in a very quick hurry, no fade. All 4 rotors appear to be chrome plated now. I followed the EBC breakin schedule accurately: they are correct-----the brakes were better and better every day. From dead cold they're better than stock; HOT they are miraculous. Why are the rotors black ? Zinc coated - the coating wears off only in the pad contact area during breakin - the rest of the rotor will not rust. The rear pads are not cut for wear sensors - not to worry: fronts wear faster. Simply roll up the existing sensor pigtail and wire tie it to the harness.

Happy camper.

1. New brake set
    2. In the air
    3. LR disassembly
    4. LR EBC rotor workup
    5. LR height sensor
    6. LF after 75 miles
    7. RR after 75 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Re: 2002 STS, EBC Black Dash rotors, Redstuff ceramic pads

Sub,

Nice! How much for the set, and where did you buy them? Also, do you have the part numbers?

www.placeforbrakes.com, get to your car - all P/N's there. Use the banner at the top of the page for an additional 12% discount, free shipping from the EBC California warehouse. Prices change, and I bought these 13 months ago, so my guess is around $500 on your workbench.

EDIT: Why not go with slotted/dimpled ?? Two reasons: This is primarily a street car, so I wanted to stay away from any question of drilled/dimpled rotors cracking, and make no mistake about it - slots and dimples decrease the amount of braking surface, so the brakes work harder. I chose the best of both worlds, and am not into ricer bling.

Log on to www.ebcbrakes.com, get to Automotive, and do a LOT of reading and watching the various brake discussions therein. The sheer amount of non-partisan disc brake info is staggering.

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

Very sporty.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Hey Sub how are these working out for you ?

still quiet no noice smooth as glass ?

I have read some reviews of ppl complaining of Noisy breaks with Red Stuff Pads and EBC Rotors

I am about to order a set for the rear im going to put the Red Stuff pads on with the EBC Slotted rotors
    im just putting them on the rears because i need rear now i won't need the front for about

4 or 5 more months
    i have a good 30k left on the front pads it think before they start grinding right now i think i have about 20k on them at the time

but my rear pads have more like 65-70k on them i think

im not sure if i want to go with Slotted or just get the Solid EBC rotors
    but i know im going to do the fronts with the Slotted and the Red Stuff pads when its time so im going to go with the Red Stuff pads for the rear
    and i think because ill put Slotted on the front next spring i don't wan to mix them up and ill just put Slotted on the rear now

so are they working out
    i think i read in your Album you had to do a 750 mile brake in driving ?

also the wear sensors won't work for the Rear pads but they will for the fronts ?
    is this correct

thanks

the other thing im thinking of is AcDelco or Bendix solid rotors with the Red Stuff pads

so just curious to see how they are working for you and still smooth and quiet ?

I answered your similar question in my album picture comment post.

Smooth, quiet, powerful. No complaints.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.