Bad Wheel Bearing? Cause speedometer problem?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Bad Wheel Bearing? Cause speedometer problem? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Since I started rebuilding my free Deville it's had a noise while turning left, but not all the time. I ...
    iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Bad Wheel Bearing? Cause speedometer problem?

Since I started rebuilding my free Deville it's had a noise while turning left, but not all the time. I took it in to the shop for them to diagnose. I thought CV Joint since it didnt happen all the time and was only during turns.

They called and said it is my left front wheel bearing.

Recently (one day only when wet) my ABS/TCS went nuts on the car and literally stopped my dead in my tracks. It kept doing this, and seem to do it when trying to drive the car straight and slightly left. I got out and pulled the ABS fuse and now it drives fine, no more crazy ABS/TCS engaging.

Also one day after the car sat for 4 days at the airport my speedometer would not work properly.

Are the two related all to a going out front wheel bearing on the left side? I thought these all in one unit hubs had a sensor in them that also reported back to the speedometer control? Someone else said that the speed is measured in the transmission. HUH??? I have not had a chance to read over the FSM yet. But I will replace the wheel bearing ASAP.

Thanks for clearing it up!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

Re: Bad Wheel Bearing? Cause speedometer problem?

Nope. The VSS sensor controls that. Its easy to service from underneath. It is held in with one 10mm bolt.
    Check the connections. This sensor should send a code. Check for codes. It makes things easier.

The wheel sensors work in sync with the TC/ABS system & they sense wheel speed differences
    between the 4 wheels to command the ABS to modulate the braking as needed. There is much more going on than just that.
    The the wheel sensor sends a false wheel spin or lock-up signal it will apply ABS to that wheel to prevent it.

iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Re: Bad Wheel Bearing? Cause speedometer problem?

Awesome, thanks for your explanation, Johnny! I will check the VSS sensor you have pictured next time I'm under the car. I gotta get to ordering the hub now!

Is that picture you posted of the entire transmission unit removed from the motor/engine? I am assuming it is because it looks like the Transmission fluid cap in the lower right of the photo.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.