The hidden life of brake sensors...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, The hidden life of brake sensors... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey everyone- Another question for all of you. My Caddy is telling me that I need to get my pads ...
    banstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The hidden life of brake sensors...

Hey everyone-

Another question for all of you. My Caddy is telling me that I need to get my pads changed. Now, I only have approx 44K miles on this thing, so it seems the right time to be doing it, but I was just curious about the sensors: does anyone know if you have to change the sensors when you change the pads? Or do the sensors work fine without replacement? Or do I have to replace the sensor that kicked off the alert?

I took the car into a local chain for an estimate- I really just wanted to see what needed to be done, as I'd prefer to do this myself.

Well, they quoted me $910. Yep. 4 rotors, 4 sets of pads, 4 sensors + labor. They claim that everything is "just under" factory spec by .01-.02".

Hmm I say.

So, any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AirJigga25 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): just one

Re: The hidden life of brake sensors...

Quote Originally Posted by banstyle
    Hey everyone-

Another question for all of you. My Caddy is telling me that I need to get my pads changed. Now, I only have approx 44K miles on this thing, so it seems the right time to be doing it, but I was just curious about the sensors: does anyone know if you have to change the sensors when you change the pads? Or do the sensors work fine without replacement? Or do I have to replace the sensor that kicked off the alert?

I took the car into a local chain for an estimate- I really just wanted to see what needed to be done, as I'd prefer to do this myself.

Well, they quoted me $910. Yep. 4 rotors, 4 sets of pads, 4 sensors + labor. They claim that everything is "just under" factory spec by .01-.02".

Hmm I say.

So, any thoughts?
    I just had my brakes done and you can get breaks with sensors at a store like Autozone but you have to order them. If you want to save 30% off the price they quoted you, buy all 4 rotors, pads, and sensors yourself and just have them charge you labor. I'm sure you'll feel better about getting the breaks done because you'll have paid less for them.

banstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: The hidden life of brake sensors...

Fantastic. That's what I did.. shopped everyone in the area, pads were cheaper at Autozone, rotors at Advance Auto Parts. All "OEM spec". Right... $50 for the pads, $120 for the rotors. Happiness. Bought a manual bleeder, and I'm doing the job tommorrow night. Thanks for the help!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.