rear pads..ceramic or not
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, rear pads..ceramic or not in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hey everyone...I'm going to change rear stick-tights soon and was wondering what the scoop was on the different materials in ...
    eldoedwardo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado coupe

rear pads..ceramic or not

Hey everyone...I'm going to change rear stick-tights soon and was wondering what the scoop was on the different materials in pads. This time I'm going to use the old rotors.I bought new front ones couple years back(lifetime warranty style) with pads and have about 10-15k left at least on them.. I'd like to bring all four up to lifetime standards about the same time. Do you guys think this is a good move or should I do rear lifetime now? thanks Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

Re: rear pads..ceramic or not

Ceramic is the marketed "new wave" in brake pads. I think they suck.

IMO ceramic is a sad comparison to a quality carbon metallic for brake performance.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Many, many vehicles use either ceramic or semi-metallic brake pad material. Both applications have merit. "Ceramic" is not your average dinner plate and semi-metallic is not "steel". "Ceramic" pads have been around since the early 60's, as has other materials.

Regardless, ALWAYS use the same brand of rotors on all 4 corners, and ALWAYS use the same brand and material pads on all 4 corners. You can NOT obtain a balanced braking system unless all 4 wheels "see" the same braking conditions created by equal pad and rotor materials.

Glock3540 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Base Deville (Now A Slightly Modified Mutt). 2011 E-250

I put top of the line Monroe ceramic pads on my car.
    The stopping power is very good but cannot honestly say it is that much better
    than any other pad types.
    I mainly did it to cut down on disc brake dust on the wheels but this is not much
    better either.
    IMHO, I think they are top quality pads but again, any better than the "best" in the other
    materials?...., Not So Sure.....

purelux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville

Remenber cermaic is a type not a brand so a $15 no name ceramic is not the same as a say $75 set of EBC pads. I believe the 2000+ cadi's come stock with ceramic pads. There are all different mixes of materials when they make the pads regardless of type. As well as how its attached to the backing, dampning etc... So definatly take a look around check out reviews before making a decision.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I put these on the 2002 STS 2.5 months ago. Deliriously happy camper. Incredible brakes.

EBC Black Dash rotors and the new compound Redstuff ceramic pads (after 1,000 mile breakin and cleanup, no dust.)

Click each thumbnail to enlarge.
    sydns and sydns like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.