1988 Fleetwood Automatic Suspenison Trouble
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 1988 Fleetwood Automatic Suspenison Trouble in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I am new to this forum, but it looks like alot of smart people here. I have a 1988 Fleetwood ...
    hooty is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy 1988 Fleetwood Automatic Suspenison Trouble

I am new to this forum, but it looks like alot of smart people here.

I have a 1988 Fleetwood d'Elegance (FWD) and am having trouble with the automatic suspension. The car, as long as I have had it - 2 years, sits low in the back. The air compressor does operate, but still sits low. I replaced the drivers side rear strut the other day thinking that it wasn't working right. The car still sits low. I disconnected the sensor arm yesterday and made it go up and down so I know that the struts are rising, but when hooked up normally it still leans down toward the back. You reckon the springs are shot and the struts can only do too much???

Thanks

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: 1988 Fleetwood Automatic Suspenison Trouble

You got the idea alright. The springs are supposed to set the car at proper trim height when the car is unloaded (standard curb weight). But when you add weight to the rear of the car, the air shocks (or struts) on Cadillac cars are only supposed to compensate for the added weight. They are NOT intended to make up for sagging coil springs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.