Passive Strut Mystery
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Passive Strut Mystery in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi guys, I feel kind of bad to post a question about "Service Ride Control" since it's been discussed ad ...
    JN in CA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Diamond ETC N*

Passive Strut Mystery

Hi guys, I feel kind of bad to post a question about "Service Ride Control" since it's been discussed ad nauseum, but I've read through a bunch of threads here, and I cannot get this one fixed.

The car is a '94 ETC with RSS, and we put in passive struts. I took it to an auto electrical shop that recommended these because it has installed these several times before, and never had a problem. They cannot solve this one.

In the shop, no error, but as soon as the test drive hits a really bumpy patch of pavement or gets to freeway speed, (I presume that's when the normal struts would stiffen, but I don't know that) the "Service Ride Control" light comes on, with the usual s012 s013 s017 s018 etc. codes for the struts.

They have tried resistors from 2 ohm up to over 5000 ohm, even a variable resistor that goes to over 10k ohm, and it is always the same. I've printed out some of the instructions on here and taken it into them, but nothing has worked. They replaced the ride computer (not that I thought that was the problem, but I guess it's nice to cross it off the list of suspects) and it didn't help. If anyone has an idea what's wrong, I'd appreciate any clues.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: Passive Strut Mystery

The computer is not looking for a resistance. It's looking for a sort of latency in the current from inducing a magnetic feild in the solenoid on the shocks/struts. Instead of using a resistor, try using an electromagnetic coil. (that worked with mine).... If you were to hook up a speaker to where the solenoid is, you will get a lound noise as you drive over bumps (an electric frequency is being sent to the solenoid). What the coil does is smooth this frequency out and a steady (or close to steady current) is analyzed by the computer. If the coil is not functioning properly, it wont smooth the frequency out (and it will do the same thing as a resistor) and the computer will think something is wrong.

Why does the coil smooth the frequency out? Because it takes energy to induce the magnetic field (basically charging it up similar to a battery). So each pulse of electricity first charges the magnetic field and then leaks out (at a certain rate, depending on the amount of charge and the size of the coil) to go on its way to the computer.... The same idea as adding water to a bucket with a hole in the bottom; you can pulse the water you add to fill up the bucket (creating the magnetic field), but still a steady stream of water will come out of the hole..... The problem with the resistor is that it's too instantaneous. All it does is convert voltage to amperage, so you still end up with a frequency in the end.

I think 96 is when they switched the computer to looking for resistance instead. Muuuuuuuch simpler and easier to diagnose (and jimmyrig.. haha)

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

Re: Passive Strut Mystery

krashed, i saw a link to a thread you commented on awhile back. you said to take the solenoid off a bad shock and tie it up inside the wheelwell area to keep the computer happy. i assume that means you than put in a passive strut? a resistor works on my 96sts. an earlier car needs the solenoid or coil to make the computer happy?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.