Buying new rotors/pads - advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Buying new rotors/pads - advice in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Next Friday, I will be replacing my rotors and pads. I am unsure whether to get ceramic, or semi-metallic pads. ...
    Skiller. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Buying new rotors/pads - advice

Next Friday, I will be replacing my rotors and pads. I am unsure whether to get ceramic, or semi-metallic pads. I've heard that you need rotors capable of handling the ceramic pads. Is that true?

I don't want to spend a fortune on the sport EBC rotors (although they are nice), but I also want GOOD quality parts.

I like the idea of ceramic pads because they produce less dust, but I don't want to get ceramic pads with the wrong rotors. I will also be using the pad wear sensors.

I've heard too many things about various rotors. Which rotors??

What would be my best option?

RockAuto has Monroe semi-metallic pads w/ wear sensors for a great price, along with a rebate. Would you use Monroe pads?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Buying new rotors/pads - advice

Also, do I have to bleed the brakes when I am finished??

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Skiller. View Post
    Also, do I have to bleed the brakes when I am finished??
    Just the opposite - if your brake fluid reservoir is now full you'll have to remove some fluid before you start: the simple act of pressing in the front pucks and screwing in the rear pucks will return fluid TO the reservoir and it will overflow - keep an eye on fluid level each time you finish a wheel.

You never break into the sealed fluid system while changing rotors and pads - the manual tells you how to hang the caliper up on the suspension without unduly bending or disconnecting the brake line.

Thanks Jim! How do you remove fluid? Siphon??

I'm leaning towards Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors and ACDelco Durastop ceramic pads...

Would be about $330 shipped for all 4 wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Just the opposite - if your brake fluid reservoir is now full you'll have to remove some fluid before you start: the simple act of pressing in the front pucks and screwing in the rear pucks will return fluid TO the reservoir and it will overflow - keep an eye on fluid level each time you finish a wheel.

You never break into the sealed fluid system while changing rotors and pads - the manual tells you how to hang the caliper up on the suspension without unduly bending or disconnecting the brake line.
    Also, does the fluid that I siphon out go back in once I finish installing the new pads??

rtalipski is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville SLS

I personally have never touched fluid levels during a brake pad replacement (they never fluctuated enough) but when I look up manual it does say...

# Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
    # If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
    # If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.

so I would say if you needed to siphon any out you probably won't need it.

Just check your reservoir level when your done.

Also just pickup a turkey baster from the dollar store... and just remember not to use it on turkey day... lol

Yeah, that's what alldata says as well.

Considering that these pads I'm replacing are fairly new (I'm replacing because they suck), I don't think the pistons have to be pushed back into the caliper much. I might not even have to touch the fluid level, but I will monitor.

Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.