Suspension Options
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Suspension Options in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well my STS is near 94k miles and I can hear the rear compressor running more often now these days. ...
    ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Suspension Options

Well my STS is near 94k miles and I can hear the rear compressor running more often now these days. I'm looking at my options for suspension's here and I'm not looking to spend a boatload. Of course I'd love to put all OEM suspension on all 4 corners but spending $2k on a $5k dollar car just doesn't make economical sense. My front suspension is also starting to get a little bit on the sloppy side, but I'm more concerned about the rear at the moment.

Now... I've been looking at buying used shocks for the car. It's confusing because there are so many particulars on these cars. If I decided to switch to to a passive suspension... would my air ride still work? Meaning, if people are sitting in the back it will level up... or would i have to spend more money to get that part to work? Also, I now see ACDelco sells suspension parts that are gas charged for about $70 a corner. Sounds like a good option but I'm guessing I would need resistors? What is my best option other than OEM that is cheap and easy to install? I've also looked into Monroe's active struts but even still, I can't afford that at the moment. Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Suspension Options

If the ELC is running more often it's not necessarily the shock/boot failing - there are air lines, connectors and a solenoid operated exhaust valve on the compressor assembly that can also leak. Get the car up on a chassis lift, pull the RR tire and fenderwell liner. Turn the key:ON until the system does its preload. Now, using a spray bottle of heavy liquid soap mixture, mist the air lines and connections - any bubbles is a leak that might be cheaply fixed. The exhaust solenoid/valve itself is a bit more complicated. The shocks, with integral air boots, are the most expensive.

Arnott, Monroe, and AirLift make various manual air shocks - you simply run a T-line up to a Schrader valve in the trunk and use that to maintain rear level - not as easy as the OEM auto system, but functional.

........if you want to keep it "all Cadillac" it ain't gonna be cheap, no matter how you cut it.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Re: Suspension Options

I'll have to look at that next time i'm home. However about 8 months ago I had the car at the dealer and they said that the rear shocks would need replacing soon because the rubber was starting to crack on the shocks. Understandable... the car is 10 after all. From what I've seen Arnott seems to be the one to go to around here as they offer a direct replacement for pretty cheap. I'd love to go OEM and maybe if I can get another 20k miles out of the suspension I'll go with the Monroe active suspension. Otherwise, I'm gonna find another solution.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.