front or rear rotor problem? how to tell
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, front or rear rotor problem? how to tell in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Braking at high way speeds this weekend I notice there is noticeable shaking. I can feel it in my seat ...
    iametarq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

front or rear rotor problem? how to tell

Braking at high way speeds this weekend I notice there is noticeable shaking. I can feel it in my seat and in the steering wheel. I do not feel it in the brake pedal, it does not push against me.

My front rotors and pads are about 1.5 years. Rears I can't remember, but the sensors are not telling me anything is due for changing.

Which brings me to my next question. After reading this whole article about "no such thing as warped rotors" http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Arti...brake_job.aspx what do you when your rotors are "warped" Do you just replace them, if that is my problem? or do you get them resurfaced?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: front or rear rotor problem? how to tell

you can get them resurfaced if they haven't already been resurfaced a bunch of times, but usually you can find rotors in the aftermarket that are under $50 (sometimes even $25)
    the sensors only will tell you when the pads need replacing
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Quote Originally Posted by iametarq View Post
    Braking at high way speeds this weekend I notice there is noticeable shaking. I can feel it in my seat and in the steering wheel. I do not feel it in the brake pedal, it does not push against me.

My front rotors and pads are about 1.5 years. Rears I can't remember, but the sensors are not telling me anything is due for changing.

Which brings me to my next question. After reading this whole article about "no such thing as warped rotors" http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Arti...brake_job.aspx what do you when your rotors are "warped" Do you just replace them, if that is my problem? or do you get them resurfaced?

Thanks!
    Let me go out on a limb here and assume that you have ceramic pads right? If so get rid of them and go semi metallic. But either way you will need to resurface or replace your rotors.

Don

I do not believe they are ceramic. I'll have to check my receipts when I get back home on Monday. The pads are AC Delco from Rock Auto. The rotors are from my local parts store since they were less expensive.

The rotors have never been resurfaced.

Is my problem more than likely the fronts? Assuming my vibrations are from the fronts, do I really have to replace the pads when I resurface the rotors? They are only about 1.5 years old and the pad thickness is nearly new looking.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Just to swerve back to your thread topic for a heartbeat, the front or rear question can be answered by applying and holding your park brake pedal at "high speed". Not to worry; the park brake pedal on your year/model will not lock down when the transmission is in R or any forward selection.

Give some thought to how much energy (heat) is required to "warp" an OEM rotor (you are in uncharted waters using aftermarket parts). Unless you are off-road racing your car every weekend I doubt if your rotors are warped.

One common possible cause of your symptoms is improper wheel lug nut torgue value and sequence. My tire retailer offers free rotation every 6,000 miles and I take advantange of the offer. But I drive home and reset each lug nut to 100 lb ft with my torque wrench using the proper sequence.

Another possible cause of your symptoms is "uneven pad material deposit on the rotor surfaces". This can be easily corrected by making a series of ten 'hard stops' from 45 mph without activating ABS and not coming to a complete stop. You will smell brake pads and see some brake pad smoke; that is good. Several applications might be required to lay down a consistent thickness layer of pad material on the rotor surfaces.

FWIW: My high mileage '98 Seville does not "shake" under braking at any speed. And my OEM parts brakes have not been touched in more than 94,000 miles.

Good luck....

Thanks Jim,

My front rotors are not OEM. I am going to try your hard stop method before I do anything tomorrow. Before this weekend the car has never had any shakes/vibrations when braking.

No racing here. But daily dirt road driving, unfortunately.

Thanks for the reminder on the hard stops. I'll find somewhere to do that tomorrow hopefully.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

The ceramic pads require quite a bit of heat to work. So the rotors heat up quite a bit while braking. Then when you come to a stop your pads are on the hot rotor and this will allow the pad material to transfer onto that part of the rotor. This is the pulsation that you are feeling. Semi metallics run way cooler so this issue doesn't happen near as often as ceramics. If you resurface the rotors and continue with the ceramics you will more than likely have the issue reoccur within 5,000 miles.

Since the front brakes do most of the braking due to weight transfer I would suspect the fronts are the culprit. But the parking brake test is a good one to try. Just don't stay on the parking brake too long. You will heat the rear brakes up fast this way and that will create the same issue you are having now even if the rears are fine.

Don

My parking brake is disconnected. I had to disconnect the cables because they need to be replaced. They were not releasing all the way whenever I would use it.

EDIT: Finding an empty 55 mph road in Flint, MI is difficult! I found a parking lot that was clear but couldn't get to much over 30 before having to brake.

I did about 10 near stops, and could smell the brakes when done but I don't think it was enough. It feels a little better but I will probably get the front rotors turned. After running my finger nail over them when back to where we are staying they are nicely grooved. Probably due to all of the sand/gravel on the road my wife has to drive back at home ever single day to get to work. *sigh.

Skiller. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

I seem to have this too, but my car shakes without the brakes applied also. When braking, it only shakes the steering wheel slightly with LIGHT pressure on the brake pedal. If I hit the brakes hard at 60, there is no shaking all the way down to 0. Of course, I also have shaking at highway speeds...Can a bad tie rod end cause this? My pads and rotors are a few months old...

hellamint is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4

I have a 2007 STS AWD. When I am braking at around 40 MPH, my car shakes (applying light to medium brake pressure). The steering wheel nor the brake pedal shake at all. What could be the cause of this?

FYI: I just bought the car a week ago (CPO). Is this something the dealership would fix under warranty?

check with the dealer ... brake pad changes are wear items and obviously not covered but if there's a problem with some other brake parts it might be covered...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by hellamint View Post
    I have a 2007 STS AWD. When I am braking at around 40 MPH, my car shakes (applying light to medium brake pressure). The steering wheel nor the brake pedal shake at all. What could be the cause of this?

FYI: I just bought the car a week ago (CPO). Is this something the dealership would fix under warranty?
    Before you try the dealer, get on a quiet stretch of highway or open rural road. Make several aggressive slowdowns to <10 mph from 60 - 70 mph, just short of ABS operation; do NOT come to a complete stop each time and if you do have to stop, do NOT hold the brakes on - shift to N and take your foot off the brake. There's a very good chance that your rotors have pad resin buildup, and what you have just done is scrub the rotors clean: practically every disc brake city/near suburban vehicle suffers from this vibration and the brakes need to be exercised from time to time. Why not hold the brakes when excessively hot ?? More pad deposits......and, BTW, brake rotors (cast iron) do not warp.

Sub, if you get your rotors really hot then go through some water (say a foot deep - enough to really get a good amount of water on the rotors) could that warp cast iron rotors? or is it just no possible?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    Sub, if you get your rotors really hot then go through some water (say a foot deep - enough to really get a good amount of water on the rotors) could that warp cast iron rotors? or is it just no possible?

They'll crack first. The warp factor () is exactly why cast iron - high quality cast iron - is used for brake rotors worldwide. (Aircraft brakes applied at 230 mph - full max OMG !)

I've posted this before, but.......extremely fast road, sports, and race cars generate enough braking heat to have the rotors run at cherry red at the end of a switchback or tight chicane turn - they then go back to 150+ mph on the straights, cool down, and do it all over again for 12 or 24 hours. If there was ANY warpage the front end (maximum braking force percentage) would come out of the car LONG before LeMans, Sebring, Daytona, or Monaco was over....

ok, i thought that i heard somewhere that a hot rotor if taken through water could warp.
    we have a lot of areas in town where the road becomes part of the retention ponds when it rains hard for a few hours
    one particular stretch right yards down the road from our shop (in front of the benz/gmc/buick/(pont) dealer) gets really deep
    http://www.wwaytv3.com/wilmington_ro...uickly/07/2009
    it's kind of hard to see in the picture, but that's waist deep!
    doesn't always get that deep, but that stretch will get at least a foot of water a couple times a year

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.