Wheels won't come off!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Wheels won't come off! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Exclamation Wheels won't come off!

I had a rear air strut boot shred on my 91 Seville, so after locating a suitable replacement from my local U-Pull yard, I made room in the shop to perform the R&R.
    First thing, block the front tires, jack up the rig and place some stands under it. Time to pull the rear wheel, hook up the old impact wrench and a few rattles later all five lugs were on the floor. Expecting the wheel to flop a little when loosened, I was surprised when it held firmly in place. RUSTED!
    Iíve squirted WD-40 in the lugholes and at the center, beat on the outer edge of the tire with a mallet, I even tried an air-chisel with a punch tip at the center.
    I am stuck, literally. I am open to any and all ideas. Oh, did I mention that the wheels are a set of very rare FWD Tru-Spoke wireís.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: Wheels won't come off!

Quote Originally Posted by 83CADMAN View Post
    ....I am stuck, literally. I am open to any and all ideas. Oh, did I mention that the wheels are a set of very rare FWD Tru-Spoke wireís.
    This might be worth a try:
    Put it all back together with only three lug nuts installed. And do not tighten the nuts against the wheel; leave all three about one thread away from contact with the wheel. Drive slowly in a residential area and put some side load on the wheel to hub surface by doing rapid S turns.

If that breaks the corrosion loose, and it should, you will feel/hear it happen. Stop immediately and tighten the lug nuts, head home and finish the original job.

Good luck....

Thanks JimD. Iíll give it a try. Iíve tried bouncing it with the floor jack, one lug installed loose and rotated to side, no luck.
    Man, I just hade these wheels off this last spring when I replaced rear brake pads.
    When I do get them off, do you have any ideas as to what I can do to prevent them from rusting again?

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by 83CADMAN View Post
    ....When I do get them off, do you have any ideas as to what I can do to prevent them from rusting again?
    I have no experience working in your (wet) environment. And if you are close to salt water, that would be even more challenging. Maybe you do not put on the kind of miles that would justify tire rotation several times a year?

Removing the wheels and using a wire brush on the wheel and hub mating surfaces every six months would prevent the rust/corrosion accumulation.

Thumbs up Re: Wheels won't come off!

Wow! I just discovered a product, (thatís apearantly been around awhile) ,thatís definitely going to replace WD40 in my war bag. I used this new stuff on my rusted on wire wheel/lug problem. It was amazing! Within 15 min. from application the worse of the rusted wheels wiggled loose. While under there I treated the air-strut bolts, made that job real easy.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

PB Blaster ???

Thats the stuff! I smeared a little greese on the rotor hubs, I hope this keeps the wheels from rusting to them again.
    No more bottoming out on speed bumps

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.