74 eldorado, brakes gone
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 74 eldorado, brakes gone in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi, I am new owner of a 74 eldo convertible, was driving it the other day, brakes went to the ...
    74droptop_eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 74 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

74 eldorado, brakes gone

Hi, I am new owner of a 74 eldo convertible, was driving it the other day, brakes went to the floor while driving, I rolled through 4 way stop and lock ebrake up to stop it. I have driven it over 400 miles with perfect brakes, no issues, now all of a sudden pedal goes to floor with no braking power. I looked under hood, the resovoir is full, but it has no pressure on pedal. Is this a brake booster problem? anyone ever replaced one of these? does not seem like a hard job but any ideas I would appreciate it, thanks
    DR
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 74 eldorado, brakes gone

Assuming no fluid leaks at any wheel, the master cylinder most likely failed, not the booster. A failed booster would keep you from depressing the pedal. A master can fail when its completely full. It by- passes fluid within itself thereby never providing the pressure to move the fluid. One other thought, if this car has rear drum brakes, remove the drums to see if the wheel cylinders are leaking.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 74 eldorado, brakes gone

Never heard back. Did he die driving with no brakes???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.