Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Fred Wyman 
#1 ·
I have a 96 deville sedan. The compressor that pumps up the suspension system makes a rattling noise like a bearing is going out. There are no lights on the dash on at the present, but I am concerned that the compressor will go out soon.
Any one have any experience with this? I would like to know how hard it is to find a new compressor, how hard it is to replace, and what I can expect for cost?
I contacted the service department of a dealer and he seemed really vague in his knowledge of this, which makes me think this is not a widespread problem.
I'm thinking that I might just use a compressor from a junked vehicle. It is also possible that these compressors were also used on other GM cars. If so, they may be fairly easy to find.

Anyway that is my question and hoping someone out there has an answer. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
This is a follow up to the original post. I had to replace the compressor with a used one. It wasn't cheap. A new one was about $350 and a used one was $175. I replaced it with a used one. It has been some time since I replaced it and it seems to be working fine. However, I am still not satisfied with the way the car drives. It appears that the rear shocks are not functioning properly, but I have talked to the service department and they don't think that is the problem. I think they don't want to mess with it because it is an older car and the expense would probably be prohibitive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.