Bent Rim - Repair or Replace?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Bent Rim - Repair or Replace? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Gentlemen, I have owned my 97 SLS for about a month. When my mechanic and I examined the car before ...
    johnny133 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Bent Rim - Repair or Replace?

Gentlemen,

I have owned my 97 SLS for about a month. When my mechanic and I examined the car before buying, we noticed a bent rim on the front right. The inner edge is bent in a little bit in one place. The "flat spot" is about 3 inches long. He told me a "Wheel and Rim" guy comes around from time to time who can straighten a bent rim. I didn't think it was leaking until this morning I noticed the tire was way down. I had enough compressed air in a storage tank to re-inflate the tire to 34lbs.

I took the wheel off to look for a nail or something but didn't find one. Then I lay the wheel down and ran some water on the area of the tire near the bent place on the rim. There were bubbles, one every second or two coming from the middle of the bent place. I don't know if the leak has always been at this rate or if it's constant or what. I seem to recall checking that tire recently and it was fully inflated, but maybe I didn't. I will be checking constantly now and adding air when necessary

Now that I know it's leaking, I need to do something about it.

First, how can I tell if my wheel is steel or aluminum? I don't see three letters stamped near the valve stem. I also don't see letters in the center near the lugs. That's all I can find in the manual. They appear to be factory Cadillac wheels, 9 "spokes" and a Cadillac emblem on the "hubcap" in the center. At a first glance, they look like aluminum to me.

Second, depending on whether it's steel or aluminum, should I try to get it repaired or should I replace it? The factory manual says not to attempt repairs on an aluminum wheel. What should I expect to pay for a wheel and where should I be looking?

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

juiceE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): (rip 92deville rip 94 fwb) 97 ElDog

Re: Bent Rim - Repair or Replace?

i dunno, but when i bent my rim,on a huge a$$ pot hole, i too hada 3-4" flat dent in the rim...i just took it to where i bought my rims, an they straightnd it out for me for $ 10
    maybe u should find a rim shop, and ask them 1st

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

Depends on the rim. If it's a stock rim, you can hit a junkyard to replace, or a machine shop can repair if they're custom rims. I had 2 of mine fixed for either $60 a rim, or 120 a rim, I forget at this point. Those were the 18's, and aluminum.

timgp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade

rimspec.com repair bent wheels also if their is no place local to repair rims

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

They're aluminum alloy, either polished and clearcoated or chrome plated, depending on year/model.

For ideas, go through the 2012 catalog in www.wheelcollision.com - click on the little pictures for enlargement.

For repairs, look up the local franchise for Mobile Wheel Repair.

Your 97 will take either the 16" or 17" wheels from any 1997 - 2003 Eldorado/Seville. For the 16's, use the tire size on the driver's door sticker. For the 17's use 235/55/17. (Both tires have the same outside diameter, so no rubbing or drivetrain problems.)

mille1sj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Bakers Wheel Repair is a great place as well, Located in Pontiac, MI but you can also ship your wheel to them or trade it in for a refurbished one in many cases. www.bakerswheelrepair.com I just had a bent wheel for my 2008 CTS Performance fixed there.

Caddie Shak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Hoop-D

How do these places go about repairing CAST aluminum wheels? There's no problem straightening forged aluminum wheels, but cast wheels don't like being bent more than once. (assuming they don't crack during the initial bend)

Maybe they heat up the bent area to soften it? That would help prevent cracking when the bent spot is straightened, but that spot will never be as strong as it was originally.

Whenever I've bent cast wheels, I've put safety above economy and replaced the wheels.

mille1sj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

I dont know exactly how they do it, but I had mine fixed back in January and have not had any issues with it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.