Back Wheel Alignment?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Back Wheel Alignment? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ok my back tires have always been leaking air i didnt think much of it so i would just put ...
    Talamant3z is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Back Wheel Alignment?

ok my back tires have always been leaking air i didnt think much of it so i would just put air and go about my day. well today i get up and my back right tire is flat. i went to put air and it was comming right out. after going to a tire shop i found out i had a hole in the tire (pic below) well the guy told me i needed an alignment thats why my tire had the hole and it weared the way it did. well i put some new tires on and the same tire that had the hole is rubbing against my fender bad the other side isnt rubbing at all. i was thinking that maybe that wheel needs to be aligned more than the other haha my buddy once told me that my back right tire would wobble (same that got the hole) well now before i spend the money on the alignment i want to make sure could a back wheel alignment fix my issue?

also when there is nothing in the trunk car rides fine but when i add something it scraps bad

any ideas on what i can do to stop the tire from rubbing aginst my fender car is 1997 eldorado

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Back Wheel Alignment?

That has two problems, the reason it wore out in one spot like that and appeared to "wobble" is that the cord structure of the tire is likely damaged.
    That caused a high spot and wore the tire in that one location.
    Next, I'd say it is misaligned causing that side to wear and not so much the other.

If the tire is rubbing on the body either the tire is the wrong size (if you put different ones on) or something is not adjusted properly or just plain bent.
    If it has independent rear suspension, which I believe it does, have it aligned.
    A good alignment guy will look the car over for worn or damaged components and he'll tell you what you need to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    That has two problems, the reason it wore out in one spot like that and appeared to "wobble" is that the cord structure of the tire is likely damaged.
    That caused a high spot and wore the tire in that one location.
    Next, I'd say it is misaligned causing that side to wear and not so much the other.

If the tire is rubbing on the body either the tire is the wrong size (if you put different ones on) or something is not adjusted properly or just plain bent.
    If it has independent rear suspension, which I believe it does, have it aligned.
    A good alignment guy will look the car over for worn or damaged components and he'll tell you what you need to fix it.
    well the tire that worn out was a 255/35/20 and never rubbed and the new tire is the same 255/35/20 and it rubs just the right side back tire the left is fine no issue could that side be out of line?

also thank you for the answer

Honestly it is impossible to say without looking at it.
    Something could be bent, improperly installed, poking out....?
    Have you taken a good look to see if you can see anything out of the ordinary?
    You could swap the tires left to right to see if maybe you have a rim issue???

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    Honestly it is impossible to say without looking at it.
    Something could be bent, improperly installed, poking out....?
    Have you taken a good look to see if you can see anything out of the ordinary?
    You could swap the tires left to right to see if maybe you have a rim issue???
    no both rims seem to be about the same distance from the fender. i was told by a friend that the back right tire(one im having issues with) was wobbling when i was driving on the freeway. but ill try switching the rim im going to go by breakcheck tomorrow but those people always just want to sell u the service.

again thank you for your help

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The 255/35 tire is an inch wider, in both tread width and section width, than stock while it is very close in outside diameter. Unless the alignment and suspension control is perfect, these oversized tires will rub. Are you running stock offset wheels or something with a few mm more offset ?

If your ELC (rear Electronic Level Control) is out of commission (the tires scrape when the trunk or back seat is loaded) then the wider tread/section width is your problem because the body drops down lower on the suspension, decreasing wheelwell clearance..

The wear pattern on the pic of the directional tire shows incorrect camber or toe-out for that tire: one side is worn more than the other. The pic of the tire with the rubber worn through to the cord looks suspiciously like that tire had a bubble or tread separation at that point. The wobble has to be a bent rim or gross hub mounting flange misalignment.

You need to raise the rear of the car about 1.5" and have a 4-point alignment done, along with a GOOD suspension parts checkout.

Given the treadwear, neither of those tires should have been on a car - those tires, as worn as they are, are a deathtrap.

You are certainly welcome.
    Good luck and let us know if you find anything.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.