Mounting tires with directional tread pattern
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Mounting tires with directional tread pattern in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I'm looking at buying Michelin Sport A/S Plus tires which apparently have a direction tread pattern. Does this mean the ...
    ocgltd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

Mounting tires with directional tread pattern

I'm looking at buying Michelin Sport A/S Plus tires which apparently have a direction tread pattern.

Does this mean the tires must mount a certain direction? (Left & right side must be mirror images) Which way should the tread "point"?

Here is a picture of the tire. If I were to mount this tire, would the tread point (tread comes together) forward on TOP of the tire?

The next obvious question is, does this mean when rotating tires that each tire must remain on the same side (to retain the same direction)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Mounting tires with directional tread pattern

Your picture shows the correct tread orientation as seen from the front of the car. All 4 tires must "point" the same and, yes, the wheels stay on the same side of the car for the life of the tire. "Rotate" front-to-rear only.

Think of the tread pattern as squooshing water out and away from the tire center stripe.

All 4 tires will have identical inner/outer sidewall patterns. There may even be arrows molded into the sidewall indicating rolling direction. Run these tires at 34 psi, cold, and DO NOT bleed off any pressure while hot. Check pressures only while cold. The MAXIMUM cold inflation pressure will be shown on the sidewall, and pay attention to the tire speed rating in the duty number as in: (235/55/17)-98S, -98H, -98V, -99Z. Use 38 psi, cold, for extended runs above 150 km/h.

BTW, You need not spend the $$$ for the A/S+; the A/S is a W rated tire in the same tread pattern and costs 25% less. (Hmmmmm.......Looks like the A/S is being superseded by the +, so maybe you're stuck there.......)

What is the speed limiter setting on your car? The tire rating on the driver's door sticker is the key.

S = 112 mph
    T = 118 mph
    H/V = 130 mph
    W/Z = essentially unlimited. Top speed determined by the limitations of the powertrain, about 155 mph.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Sub is absolutely correct, it will mount just like that on the right hand side, the left tread will point the same way but the outboard side of the wheel would be on the other side in that orientation.
    The tires must stay on the side the are oriented for. Each tire will have an arrow or some type of indicator on the side that indicates the direction of FORWARD rotation.

Fantasy Toys is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Currently 1991 Deville ~ 1996 Deville ~ 1998 Seville STS

I'll third Subs comment, absolutely correct

Ok - I know how to mount them now thanks....I took my sts to a track this summer to try high speed stuff...but never got beyond 160 (I couldn't get comfortable). I'm not buying the A/S+ for high speed driving as much as the handling...(memories of a great set of ultra performance tires)

I could get a great price on either the Primacy or A/S+ so I went for the latter (and the A/S is no longer available, so I had to get A/S+.). I'm sure they're overkill, but I like the sporty feel.

**** Now the troubling part. I have Tire pressure sensors at each wheel, and the car is supposed to be set for 30psi. If I inflate cold to 34 psi cold, then I will have non-stop beeps and messages from the sensors (once warmed up)!

Are you sure 34 cold is right? (How do you know). And if that is right, can I reset the computer to consider 38psi normal? (Or is that a bad think to do)

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Your TPMS has a range built in, not a set value. If the system alarms with 34 psi cold (??? hot) then drop 1 psi to 33. DO NOT bleed tires while warm. The normal pressure increase is factored into the tire rating.

Our cars are recommended for 30/30 psi, front/rear. Based on my highway and rural crazy road running 34/34 psi cold gives me the best handling, gas mileage, and tire life.

Years ago, an old wives' tale said to bleed off tire pressure in cold weather to increase traction. FALSE ! Tires give the best all-around performance at or slightly above the manufacturer's recommended pressures. If you're the slightest bit in doubt, start off your new tires with the recommended 30/30 cold inflation pressure and break them in. (Yes, you break in new tires) Then, as you become accustomed to their characteristics, increase pressures, cold, 1 psi at a time and drive a while. You'll find an average pressure that you and the car both like.

My personal opinion of TPMS is that it's a crutch for Grannie, not a practical accessory for a conscientious driver. A good dial gauge is far superior. You check your oil level, why not your tires ? Glad that I do not have it because I'd remove them all and disable the system.

Ok - so it's more of a feel/handling thing. It doesn't seem reasonable that 30 psi for the OEM tire is still right for a replacement tire of different type/model.

Since I can read the psi from the computer, the TPMS must send a PSI sense to the computer, so it's the computer that triggers the high/low pressure alarm. I have a feeling (but not proof) that is dealer configurable using a tech2. Not sure where to ask this one...perhaps the electronics forum?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The tire pressure should be set at the spec on the door jamb.
    You certainly can adjust it for road feel.
    34 psi is too low to trigger the TPMS warning but granted after you drive it and the tires warm up it will probably push 36 and then it will alarm.

Usually you can go into the RCDLR and set the tire type and pressure, at least on newer ones.
    If we are talking about an '01... I am not sure.
    The early systems weren't as fancy as the stuff we have now.

The sensors in the wheels are dumb, they read the pressure and broadcast it. The RCDLR picks it up and sends data messages to an appropriate body system which reports that data to the IPC and triggers the alarm for low or high pressure.
    As Sub stated, those are cold inflation pressures and regardless of tire swaps they should still be the same.

keelerdr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville D'Elegance

Hey,

Just wanted to chime in...I have a 97 Deville w/a set of the Pilot Sport A/S (not the +) and they are awesome! I replaced the (original??) Michelin MX4's (or something close) with the Pilot Sport A/S and the difference is night and day. I don't really notice a difference in road noise which is a plus.

They handle great in the rain and snow too. I don't rack up tons of miles so I really wasn't concerned about tread life but these seem to be lasting for a while. I highly recommend them for anyone looking for a new tire.

Tires...the things keeping your car out of the ditch. Tires should be right behind parachutes on the list of "things not to cheap out on"! Brakes and suspension also help considerably with keeping your car on the road, but tires are the easiest and least expensive way to see major upgrades...spend the extra $ and get these, you will be happy (+ increased safety).

I've had the Pilot A/S+ for a couple of weeks now - so far so good. Much noisier than the goodyears I had before....the snow is just starting in my part of Canada so I'll update as I get some good ice tests in

keelerdr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville D'Elegance

Yea I guess the Pilot Sport A/S (old style and the new + ones) are prob more noisey than a Grand Touring type tire. I wasn't too concerned with the road noise and didn't pay real close attention to a "before and after" when getting the new tires. I was extremely happy w/the increased performance (handling/grip/wet traction) of the Pilot Sport A/S though.

Plus I have an upgraded stereo to make up for road noise, a nice sounding one where the sub doesn't drown-out the lyrics...not one of those ghetto thumper audio systems that some have.

Incase anyone cares:
    Alpine 50x4 watts RMS with Infinity Kappa 52.7i's in the doors, 10W3v3 sub from JL Audio, JL Audio A1400 amp for the sub (500 watts RMS), a CL-RLC so I can control the sub volume (from max to mute) from the drivers seat, and a Audio Control LC7 to integrate the Alpine amp.
    Stock Dash except for a Sony control for the 10 disc changer in the trunk but that will soon be an OEM changer in the trunk thanks to the help of this forum

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.