01' Deville Breaks Shimmy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 01' Deville Breaks Shimmy in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi, I have an 01 Deville and I love my car. Everything seems to work well and I keep it ...
    Dave NYC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

Question 01' Deville Breaks Shimmy

Hi,

I have an 01 Deville and I love my car. Everything seems to work well and I keep it tuned up every three months.

The thing is, when I drive above 60mph and I start to press on the breaks, I hear/feel a slight shimmy until the car slows down to about 30mph.

Is this normal or is there something wrong with the breaks?

I like the way the Deville looks and drives. However, it is getting a little old and the next choice would be the DTS. The DTS does not seem as long as the 01' Deville. But, I think I will still go with the DTS using the Deville as a trade in.

Anyhow, I'm more concerned about my breaks at higher speeds. I will be grateful for any help.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 01' Deville Breaks Shimmy

A brake judder or "shimmy" might be caused by uneven rotor wear or contamination on the brake pads. A good shop could take a slight cut on the rotors (to true them up) and install a new set of pads. Also entirely possible that a front wheel could have some runout due to potholes or curb damage. Again, a good brake shop can tell.

An '01 is not old and there's no sense doing a tuneup (what tuneup ?) every three months - the only tuneup you can do to an '01 Northstar is plugs, boots, and an air filter, and that's a lot longer interval than 3 months !

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Try depressing the parking brake lightly at 60. If no shimmy then its the front brakes. And yes, most likely the rotors need re surfaced. I assume you have stock wheels and tires? every 3 months heh!! tell me where your trash can is. I need those parts!!

Thanks for the advice regarding the breaks. As far as "keeping it tuned up every three months," what I meant is I have the oil changed and the filter(s) cleaned and or replaced.

Other than the brake shimmy, the car is great!!

Being I live in New York City, after I had my car refinished, I had no choice but to put rubber bumper guards on the car....I would rather have the rubber, than the dings and nicks due to other people and their lousy parking. The pics are before and after the guards were put on. I put that "Harlem" plate in the back window to try to deter people from messing with the car. I live 10 blocks from Harlem The pics before the guards were taken in NJ at my girlfriends, I had to get it ready for the city. The guards have helped protect the bumpers and save $ on body work.

That's a damn nice looking car - too bad that the NYC drivers/parkers make you put the guards on it, but they may help. If you do mostly stop/go/slow city driving, then 3 months/3,000 miles is the way to go on oil/filter changes.

You need to get outta town, across 287 and the Tappan Zee, head up to Albany and blow the dust out........

(Too bad you couldn't do the OnStar digital upgrade.........)

Thanks.

A lot of people on this forum have said the bumper guards look really bad on my car. However, fellow New Yorkers ask me where to get them...so, they can prevent serious damage to their cars. I would rather have the removable guards than un-removable scratches, dings, dents, etc;.

Anyhow, I do most of my driving over in New Jersey. I just go across the Hudson and I do all my shopping, get gas, etc;. So, I'm able to open my car up on the highways. Actually I had the On Star on when I got the car. But, I dropped my account. Because I have a Tom Tom and I have a hands free cell phone. When I'm ready to get the New DTS, I will more than likely not pay for the On Star service as my cell phone does the trick, I have a wireless bluetooth ear piece I use for calls. I like the new DTS. But, there are some things that I don't like compared to my Deville, the Deville seems to be a bit bigger, the Deville also has the Cadillac hood ornament I don't understand why they stopped putting those on the newer Caddy's. So, I will stick with my Deville until the extended warranty runs out. It has under 100K miles on it and it's still in great condition. It's a dream to drive.

Half my family lives in the Baltimore area. So, it's a nice drive from NYC to Baltimore. I take the NJ turnpike.

By the way, I have the Submariner Rolex 50th year edition with the green bezel. (I noticed the word 'submariner' in your username)

I wear a black - s/s Submariner 330m with Fliplock. Go up to Photo Albums in the blue bar and find my album "Various car and boat pics" with the pair of Colt Peacemakers as the cover for more toys.

The login name comes from 26 years of USN sub and staff duty.

"Submariners do it deeper !"

Smile Re: 01' Deville Breaks Shimmy

OK,

I finally had the "shimmy" fixed. As it turned out, the rotors were shot and the break pads were worn so thin, you could almost see through them. So, I had the rotors replaced and new break pads installed and there is no shimmy at all. The breaking stops on a dime. The people that replaced the hardware could not believe I was even able to stop the car on the highway. I was having a problem with the engine, it kept stalling when I took my foot off the gas pedal and it was pretty scary. Because, I would lose complete control when I put my foot on the break, as it stalled each time. I still can't believe I was able to drive it to the shop. As it turned out, it was the Map Sensor. So, when they took it for a test drive, they noticed the breaks were hardly working.

So, I'm pretty happy with the performance of the car.

By the way, I went to the doctor last week and my wife waited in the car, she was sitting in the drivers seat and this jerk drives to the side of my car and asked my wife if she was leaving, she said no and when he started to pull away, he scraped the side of my car with his car. So, my wife called me on my cell phone and I ran toward the car and the driver looked scared to death. Because I was livid (not to mention I'm 6 ft 5 and over 240lbs). Right away, he said " don't worry, I will pay for the damage." I told him that he better believe he was going to pay. So, I asked for his drivers license and I took down all of his info, I got his phone number, etc;.

Then I noticed that his plates said "MD" on them. Alas, he was a doctor. He did not want to get his insurance involved. I was a little hesitant in trusting him. But, I had his cell number (that I tested). He said to take it to my body shop and he would stop over and pay. The body shop said they would have to remove my back bumper guards because they needed to fix the side of the back bumper. I asked them if they could order that flat rubber that comes in strips and told them to apply that and perhaps paint the rubber to match the car, at the doctor's expense. After it was all said and done, the doctor had to pay about $2100+ to fix my car (he was a man of his word and paid in full). But, that is life in The Big Apple...lol

http://multiple-sclerosis-help.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    A brake judder or "shimmy" might be caused by uneven rotor wear or contamination on the brake pads. A good shop could take a slight cut on the rotors (to true them up) and install a new set of pads. Also entirely possible that a front wheel could have some runout due to potholes or curb damage. Again, a good brake shop can tell.

An '01 is not old and there's no sense doing a tuneup (what tuneup ?) every three months - the only tuneup you can do to an '01 Northstar is plugs, boots, and an air filter, and that's a lot longer interval than 3 months !

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.