79-85 Electronic Level Control
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 79-85 Electronic Level Control in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Hi I have an 85 Eldorado that I'm having a difficult time with the ELC. The compressors are leaking air ...
    sosuzguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Eldorado

Unhappy 79-85 Electronic Level Control

Hi I have an 85 Eldorado that I'm having a difficult time with the ELC. The compressors are leaking air from the shocks. Back in Feb I finally found a company that was rebuilding the elc compressors for many GM and Ford cars. However they didn't rebuild the 79-85 systems, just the 95-99 and various other GM's from 86-current. After discussing with the Supervisor that the air dryer in these compressors for the E series had a valving arrangement just for E-bodies that needed to maintain 15-20 psi at all times they agreed to rebuild it since, "they were all the same pretty much" according to the company. The valving arrangement is just a couple of springs and a rubber flap like a check valve that is inside the dryer on the system. I have finally got around to getting this rebuilt compressor on the car. I've also built myself an ELC tester very similar to the ones the service manual says to use. Now I've found that the rebuilt compressor is leaking down after about two hours. There were a few hicups during this rebuild process with the company Rep finally saying they were not going to rebuild these anymore for the 79-85 models!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these compressors rebuilt where they don't leak down? I'm suprised more people aren't having trouble with these.

Is there any other company out there that maybe I don't know about that would consider rebuilding these? Since our 79-85's are getting some collector attention I'm sure the need for these will be more in demand, not to mention it's the same compressors used for Eldo and Toro of this vintage.

Sorry but manually adding air to the system is not something I'm interested in doing. Pictured is the tester I made for these systems. Mine is permantely mounted for the time being.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 79-85 Electronic Level Control

I've owned 4 Cads of this era with level ride and have never replaced a compressor for leaking. I've replaced the lines, o rings, shocks, level ride sensors at the rear axle, but never a pump. How do you plug the air outlet for the test? your picture did not post? The green dangling connector in the compressor harness is, as you know, the 12 volt test lead to confirm compressor operation. If the compressor is fully charged with air it is designed to exhaust air to maintain that 15 to 20 PSI. it can hold approx 80 PSI before it grenades.

Sorry I've attached the two picture files of the tester. I had to down size the pictures. With this in between the compressor and pressure relief valve I can isolate leaks to one end or another. After the shocks are pumped up to 20psi I disconnected the 12v wire from the compressor so it wouldn't come on and closed the valve on the right side of the gauge. After an hour or so it's at zero. I've sprayed all the connections and the compressor and am not finding any bubbles. Thanks
    Attached Images

When the gauge is at zero, do you find the air bags around the shocks still inflated? If so then its ok, If the the bags are deflated, I would suspect the shocks themselves.

No they are not inflated. I know there is a leak on the back end that I will address soon, but even with the tester on the compressor side is leaking down from the exhaust solenoid inside the compressor. I'm having a very hard time finding someone who will rebuild them. Actually no one does for 1979-1985 Eldorado, Toronado, Riviera. Any ideas? Thank you I'm working really hard to get these fixed for all of us when we need them. I'd rebuild them myself if I could find the solenoids new but I have no idea where to even start.

If it were mine, I'd concentrate on finding and fixing the air line or shock leak first, then the pump. They usually melt the line close to the driver side exhaust manifold or along the driver side under the door sill.

Okay, regardless both leaks have to be fixed and I do not have access to the lift or jacks I need right now to change them out - so to save time I'm working on what I can for now. It actually has new airlines that are properly routed with zip ties. I know that for sure.

Well all these months and I've still not found a replacment for our cars.

Anyone else having problems with compressors leaking down?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.