Front end vibrates/shakes when braking
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Front end vibrates/shakes when braking in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have a 2001 Deville DTS with 73K miles on it. I noticed about 8 weeks ago every time I ...
    mklano is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

Front end vibrates/shakes when braking

I have a 2001 Deville DTS with 73K miles on it. I noticed about 8 weeks ago every time I would begin to break, whether hard or over a long distance, the front end would have some medium vibration/shaking. I bought new EBC rotors and pads and put them on the front end. Same problem continued for two more weeks until I put on new re-built calipers. Same problem. I bought new tires, same problem.

Sometimes it feels like something keeps griding or hitting the same place as the tire turns. When I took everything off to put the new calipers on the two week old pads and rotors looked fine, no unusual wear. The vibration sometimes feels like griding and then it goes back to vibration.

I probably will do the back breaks to see if this helps. Any thoughts or recommendations would greatly be appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Re: Front end vibrates/shakes when braking

i have a shaking when breaking in my car at higher speeds
    i have a 2000 seville you have a deville not sure if it could be the same as mine

my mechanic told me that its most likly my rotors that are warmed or rusted and they just where not replaced
    when the old owner did the breaks
    so he said that that will probalby take care of the shaking when i get the cash to have them doen
    so that might be why yours is doing that also

Kzfl8y is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville DTS

My 2005 Deville DTS w/ 90,000mi does the same. I have order 4 performance rotors and pads. I hope it's not a wheel bearing or CV joint. I will report back when parts are installed, good luck.

keelerdr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville D'Elegance

Hey,

I had a somewhat similar problem although it was a slight vibration/light pulsing when I would brake (it never felt/sounded like a grinding noise). It kinda felt like it was coming from the front but it was hard to tell. I took the car in and had the brakes looked at, turns out all that was needed was for the drivers side rear brake to be "turned" (I'm assuming on a mill that shaves off the face of the rotor to make it all smooth again). The rotor was slightly warped.

It was weird that it was only one rotor that needed it and also odd that the whole car seemed to vibrate/pulse... I could not tell it was the rear brake or that it was driver side just from the symptoms. Not sure if this will help but it is inexpensive to have someone just take a look at the rear brakes so it can't hurt.

Hope this helps.

SFTX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

Quote Originally Posted by Kzfl8y View Post
    My 2005 Deville DTS w/ 90,000mi does the same. I have order 4 performance rotors and pads. I hope it's not a wheel bearing or CV joint. I will report back when parts are installed, good luck.
    You posted this in 2009. Did you ever get the time to install new rotors and pads?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by SFTX View Post
    You posted this in 2009. Did you ever get the time to install new rotors and pads?
    If you click his username and view his profile you'll see that he hasn't logged in for 2 years. I doubt that you'll see an answer.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

Cheriedg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

I as well have some moderate shaking when brakes are applied to my 2000 Deville. The steering wheel does not shake at all. Have any suggestions and is it safe to continue to drive ?

Copied from Suspension to Deville

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Cherie,

This thread has been dead for 6 months. I copied your question (common problem, yes, it's safe to drive) up to the more active Deville forum.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.