Is it absolutely necessary that I upgrade my 1964 Cadillac Coupe Deville's Brakes?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Is it absolutely necessary that I upgrade my 1964 Cadillac Coupe Deville's Brakes? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; You see, as of now the car runs on all 4 drum brakes. For safety reasons I've considered front disc ...
    1964CoupeDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1964 Coupe Deville

Is it absolutely necessary that I upgrade my 1964 Cadillac Coupe Deville's Brakes?

You see, as of now the car runs on all 4 drum brakes. For safety reasons I've considered front disc brakes but my wallet screams at the though of 1,000 dollars (900 something dollars). What do you recommend? Is it a worthy investment? Is it time the old front drum brakes move on?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Re: Is it absolutely necessary that I upgrade my 1964 Cadillac Coupe Deville's Brakes

YES!

Well, only if you want to drive it safely.

Re: Is it absolutely necessary that I upgrade my 1964 Cadillac Coupe Deville's Brakes

A lot of GM disc parts are interchangeable. You may have to get the spindle out to the wheel bearing but you should be able to find used parts that will bolt in. The problem is those are getting scarce.

We did my wife's first car, a 69 Firebird that's still in the family. Like night and day.

1964CoupeDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1964 Coupe Deville

I'll see my financial situation then come to a conclusion.

01devilledts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 68 Deville,04 XLR,94 2dr &97 4dr tahoe,67 lincoln,98 jeep xj

I was told, that the only difference between the drum and disc brake setup was that the disc will cool faster. The drum brakes are a heavy duty system and were designed to stop the heavy car. and as far as pure stopping power the drums will work just fine under normal condition braking. Now if it was a lot of braking all the time, a disc setup would be a better option.

I swapped the front drums out on my 68 SDV to disc and I think total it cost me 300 dollars. That included: new pads, rotors, wheel bearings, seals, dust-caps, and the spindle with the caliper bracket on it.

I used the spindles from a 69 SDV as front disc brakes were a factory option. I just picked up a set from the auto salvage yard and they had the calipers and the mounts needed.

In 69 they used a 2 piece rotor and hub assembly that today is about $135 dollars to replace each side. in 72 or so they went to a one piece rotor/hub that are about $35 each. All you have to do is shave down the lip of the dust shield to make the transformation.

here is an amazing link that I found for a step by step write-up on how to do just that.
    http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/arti...ediscswap.html

It took me about 3hrs to do the whole job.

01devilledts,

After driving the car with discs, would you go back to drums?

To me the difference is noticeable at anything over 25mph! When the Firebird was almost new the brakes were inadequate at freeway speeds.

01devilledts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 68 Deville,04 XLR,94 2dr &97 4dr tahoe,67 lincoln,98 jeep xj

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77 View Post
    01devilledts,

After driving the car with discs, would you go back to drums?

To me the difference is noticeable at anything over 25mph! When the Firebird was almost new the brakes were inadequate at freeway speeds.

I Didnt drive the car much before I swapped over to disc's. But driving the other 68 I have with drums seems to be a bit more touchy, Im sure that has to do a lot with the adjustment. If I step on the brake pedal on the one with drums it will instantly lock up. the ones with the disc, Not so much.

The only reason I went to disc was because I am running a very open wheel and the Large drum was very displeasing to the eye

But if I was keeping the factory wheels on I would have kept the factory drums

Marco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77 View Post
    A lot of GM disc parts are interchangeable. You may have to get the spindle out to the wheel bearing but you should be able to find used parts that will bolt in. The problem is those are getting scarce.

We did my wife's first car, a 69 Firebird that's still in the family. Like night and day.
    Ooh, that sounds nice.
    There is some guy with one of the same vintage, that i see driving around on the weekends.
    He's updated his too. Beautiful deep burgundy, new large style wheels, slightly lowered but tastefully done.
    When I first saw it go by, it looked like some sort of italian sports model. That style has endured.

Fantasy Toys is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Currently 1991 Deville ~ 1996 Deville ~ 1998 Seville STS

It"s not absolutly nessesary to upgrade but it will improve the braking power. This is especially true if you decide to go with a more modern wheel and tire combo on it. Remember that since 1968 we as people regularly drive a little faster and a little more agressive. This is especially true in the city.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.