Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Tires won't hold air...cuz of my rims???

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Daddytech 
#1 ·
I have a 93 seville and my tires need to be filled almost everyday even tho they are still pretty new. The guys at the shop say that it is because the rims are corroded at the seal, and also around the valve stem. They say that they can polish them to get the corrosion off for about $150. Should I let them polish them or just buy new rims?

#3 ·
one thing i can tell you from experience is that the valve stems on cadillac factory rims does not seat well and anything at all that interferes with them properly seating corrosion,dirt etc. will cause the tires to leak. it shouldn't cost $150 to polish them and the corrosion usually only occurs when water or fixaflat has been used on the factory aluminum or steel wheels. on the aluminum wheels it eats through the finish and causes pits in the aluminum which grow and spread rapidly. steel it also eats the finish and begins to rust the metal if they are steel wheels i wouldn't even bother you can find some really nice aftermarket wheels really chap at some of the auto parts stores and places that specialize in automotive work. if they are aluminum i would personally take the rims somewhere and have the tires removed and bring them home and polish them myself using a very high grit sand paper like that which is used to wet sand a car's paint job 1000 grit or higher then be sure to wash them down using just water and a cotton towel or cloth and use an auto grade clear paint to refinish them again the whole deal shouldn't cost you more than $50 at most and the largest part of that is because of the removal and remounting of the tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.