How Can I Soften Ride on 08 CTS that already has FE1 Suspension and 17" wheels?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, How Can I Soften Ride on 08 CTS that already has FE1 Suspension and 17" wheels? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; My CTS has the soft FE1 "sport" car ride but I would like it to ride more like the Eldorados ...
    fordyfordconv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

How Can I Soften Ride on 08 CTS that already has FE1 Suspension and 17" wheels?

My CTS has the soft FE1 "sport" car ride but I would like it to ride more like the Eldorados I use to own. The Eldorados rode more like the Sedan Devilles. Is there any after-market suspension parts change-over available that will make My CTS ride like my old Eldorado?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Edahall is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado

Re: How Can I Soften Ride on 08 CTS that already has FE1 Suspension and 17" wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by fordyfordconv View Post
    My CTS has the soft FE1 "sport" car ride but I would like it to ride more like the Eldorados I use to own. The Eldorados rode more like the Sedan Devilles. Is there any after-market suspension parts change-over available that will make My CTS ride like my old Eldorado?
    The first step would be to find some smaller diameter wheels preferably 15" inch wheels combined with higher profile tires. I believe 225/70/15 tires is what you want for your car. You want a tires that have the same overall diameter as stock tires. Also, stay away from high performance tires such as Z series tires unless you plan to drive that fast. If that still does not make the ride soft enough, the next step would be to remove the rear sway bar. You'll sacrifice some handling but it'll ride a lot softer.

artscadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS With Sport Perf Pkg

Re: How Can I Soften Ride on 08 CTS that already has FE1 Suspension and 17" wheels?

The FE1 is a fairly soft ride. It's about like Eldorado. It may feel more choppy ride due to being a smaller car, plus it is meant to be more sporty. The Eldorado also had softer seat cushions. I don't think you should change anything on your CTS. You should make sure the tires are not overinflated. You could go a couple pounds underinflated for a softer ride, but those Michelins are already a soft luxury tire.

ejguillot is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Quote Originally Posted by Edahall View Post
    The first step would be to find some smaller diameter wheels preferably 15" inch wheels combined with higher profile tires. I believe 225/70/15 tires is what you want for your car. You want a tires that have the same overall diameter as stock tires. Also, stay away from high performance tires such as Z series tires unless you plan to drive that fast. If that still does not make the ride soft enough, the next step would be to remove the rear sway bar. You'll sacrifice some handling but it'll ride a lot softer.
    I don't think those options are doable.

A wheel smaller than 17" probably won't clear the brake calipers.
    Disconnecting the swaybar would change the handling, and probably leave the stability control program really confused.

If a softer ride is really important, look into trying out a Lux II or III DTS.

Jahan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Really your only option is new tires. Look on tirerack.com for something that has good reviews for ride.

Any aftermarket stuff you try to put on will only make things worse.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

The CTS is a sports sedan...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.