Rims, Tires, Brakes, and Rotors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Rims, Tires, Brakes, and Rotors in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Whats up ppl. Ok heres what I'm looking to do and I need some input. First things first. I drive ...
    SouthernCountry is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Black Raven

Question Rims, Tires, Brakes, and Rotors

Whats up ppl. Ok heres what I'm looking to do and I need some input.

First things first. I drive my DTS a lil hard sometimes and I'm looking to upgrade my brakes and rotors since I'm unsatisfied with the factory grade. I've been research rotors and I came across EBC Rotors and Royalty Brake Rotors. I was going to get the EBC ones til I noticed that Royalty has a lifetime warranty. So I'm looking to purchasing them next month. Front and rear. I've pretty much decided on them however I'm stuck between ceramic and semi-metallic. I'm new to this brake stuff as I've had shops do them in the past but I want to know my car more especially with higher maintenance and repair costs. What should I go with as far as the pads are concerned?

Next order of business. I'm ordering some 22" rims for my ride. The rims are 22x8. I've heard that you can go as far as 22x9 but I want to play it safe. The only thing I'm trying to decid is should I get 235 or 245. I've seen 245 on other dts and devilles in the past but I don't know if there were any mods to the suspension. So that's what I'm stuck on right now. What do you guys think I should do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Rims, Tires, Brakes, and Rotors

I forgot something else. The TPMS. I'm ordering 4 more sensors for the rims. My question is can the car relearn them when they are put in the rims or do I have to see a dealer since they didn't come with my car?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

My preference would be EBC BlackDash rotors and Redstuff pads. Read EBC's site about why slotted rotors are easier on pads than drilled or drilled/slotted. Their Redstuff pads have been reformulated for better hot street/muscle car use. My set of the rotors and pads will go on soon. Not cheap, but like you I drive the car pretty hard and fast fairly often.

Go to www.tirerack.com and use their tire sizing specs for your present (OEM) tires and your intended replacements. You want to keep the new tire/old tire outside diameter within about 0.3" to avoid speedo, engine management, and transmission errors.

Not sure about the TPMS - I use a gauge weekly - but the new ones should be able to be programmed. Using a strong magnet, with the ignition ON hold the magnet to the LF valve stem. The horn should beep. Repeat this at RF, RR, LR. If the program worked, the LR tire valve sequence will beep the horn twice. You have about 4 minutes to do the sequence.

Yea I looked at the red stuff too..wasn't sure at first but those look like my top contenders now. Looks like I will have to get the EBC rotors now. The Hawks are suddenly out of stock and I planned on placing the order this week. Oh well EBC snatched the top spot. I should have my rims by the 4th of July. That's my goal right now so hopefully nothing comes up outta the blue like previously. Had my right rear tire get a nail in it not too long ago and then last week my front passenger tire blew out. Not the best of luck so far but I think it turned around. In Caddy we trust right. (speaking in terms of brand, no place over God).

abs
    abs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville Base, 1999 Deville D'Elegance

I just installed the Centrix Posi-Quiet Semi-Metallic pads on my '99 Devill and they are a big improvement over in initial bite and overall friction versus what was on there before. The guys running Subaru STi's seem to like them as well . . . Highly recommended. I've used Hawk HPS in the past and they don't feel as nice as these.

Andrew

CaddiLukKing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille(totalled):2007 DTS White Lightning Performance

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    My preference would be EBC BlackDash rotors and Redstuff pads. Read EBC's site about why slotted rotors are easier on pads than drilled or drilled/slotted. Their Redstuff pads have been reformulated for better hot street/muscle car use. My set of the rotors and pads will go on soon. Not cheap, but like you I drive the car pretty hard and fast fairly often.

Go to www.tirerack.com and use their tire sizing specs for your present (OEM) tires and your intended replacements. You want to keep the new tire/old tire outside diameter within about 0.3" to avoid speedo, engine management, and transmission errors.

Not sure about the TPMS - I use a gauge weekly - but the new ones should be able to be programmed. Using a strong magnet, with the ignition ON hold the magnet to the LF valve stem. The horn should beep. Repeat this at RF, RR, LR. If the program worked, the LR tire valve sequence will beep the horn twice. You have about 4 minutes to do the sequence.
    Hi SUBMARINER...

does it matter if i have a performance pkg? Where would be the best place to find EBC blackdash rotors and redstuff pad? and would you be able to provide part #s for them? i went to their website, and sumit racing or oreilley parts a bit tidious looking through everything got my head spinning, Oreily website gave me trouble and summit i didnt see any rotors. where in your oppinion would i be able to find the best price for front and rear? Thanks for your help.

www.perfectbrakes.com

Open the link and go to the Home Page. Click on Order Automotive. Enter your car and year, scroll down to DTS, 2006 and up. Click and write down F & R pad and rotor numbers.

or............Google something like "disc brake rotor sales" and surf from there.

www.perfectbrakes.com

Open the link and go to the Home Page. Click on Order Automotive. Enter your car and year, scroll down to DTS, 2006 and up. Click and write down F & R pad and rotor numbers.

or............Google something like "disc brake rotor sales" and surf from there.
    Hey thank you for a quick response... i have found the pads and rotors for the front, do they not make them for the rear?"actually found the pads just not the rotors."
    for the front the Pads # DP31762C and they go for $111 and rotors are USR7371 go for $295 for a grand total of $405, does that sound right?
    also at what milage did you end up replacing your rotors and pads? and how are you liking them? ohh and which vehicle are they on?
    Thanks again.

Caddi, You have a "Gotcha !!!"

Currently my car has the original GM rotors and pads. (At 50,500 they look like new.) The EBC Redstuff pads and Black Dash rotors (F&R) are on order. They will go on after our return from a trip to SC in the middle of the month.

My recommendation for EBC is based on a 2001 SLS and a 2002 STS we did last fall near here. So far, no problems and greatly increased braking - when the rotors are warmed up. Cold, there's a tad more pedal effort required.

If you look at the EBC main page and get to U.S. dealers, surf through the dozen online offerings - it will take a bit of searching to find one outlet that lists both F & R rotors and pads - don't ask me why. PerfectBrakes just happened to have my sets for a good price.

I have an update on my situation. Well because the business that I ordered my rotors from are out of business I went ahead and ordered some from another place and they will be here I on Thursday. So in the mean time I went ahead and bought some cheap pads from Autozone til then. Me and my friend jacked her up and swapped the pads today. After we popped off the calipers I noticed something. Those HPS Hawks pads will not fit in those calipers so now I have another problem. I went online again just to verify those were the right pads and every site I went to verified this. Now I'm wondering if these pads are for the performance dts only. This is really going to suck now if so. I'm assuming that the calipers that I would need for them prolly won't fit since I have 17" rims or am I wrong on that?

Looks like its back to the drawing board.

abs
    abs is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville Base, 1999 Deville D'Elegance

those Centrix Posi-Quiet pads fit perfectly on my '99 . . . I ordered the heavy duty semi-metallic variety

Caddi, You have a "Gotcha !!!"

Currently my car has the original GM rotors and pads. (At 50,500 they look like new.) The EBC Redstuff pads and Black Dash rotors (F&R) are on order. They will go on after our return from a trip to SC in the middle of the month.

My recommendation for EBC is based on a 2001 SLS and a 2002 STS we did last fall near here. So far, no problems and greatly increased braking - when the rotors are warmed up. Cold, there's a tad more pedal effort required.

If you look at the EBC main page and get to U.S. dealers, surf through the dozen online offerings - it will take a bit of searching to find one outlet that lists both F & R rotors and pads - don't ask me why. PerfectBrakes just happened to have my sets for a good price.
    What exactly do you mean i have a 'GOTCHA"?

Well submariner I finally got everything I needed and me and a friend went out there and tackled it. Took a lil over 3hrs in all. Very painful. It was the first time for me changing rotors and brakes but my friend had done it before. However, whoever did the last brake job had us putting in some work. They used mechanics glue on the nuts. I was cussing worse than a sailor. Mind you I'm a navy vet. Anyways after we did the first one we figured what we were up against. Moved onto the pass side and did that one. Piece of cake. On to the rear. We get the tire off and we think oh this is going to be easy. I had some cheap tools that I bought last year just to use around the house in such. Well needless to say the socket wrench broke trying to remove the nut off the caliper. Anger and frustration followed. Luckily my friend had a Craftsman set (gonna upgrade my set soon). Got his out and went to work. Still took a while cause of the lack of space to work with and the fact that that nut was pretty long and the fact they put all that glue on it. Very fun. We finally get them off and then we had to literally beat the hell out of the rotor to get it off. Got that off and preceded to compress the piston. Since it was my first time and my friend had never done work on a Caddy we tried to use the c-clamp as we did on the front. No luck. Lucky for me I ran inside to Google. Google is the best thing smokin. Looked up rear piston compression and found out I had to turn it to compress it. That was not an easy task. Lucky I had some mechanics gloves on hand cause I would have lost some skin on my hand for sure. Got that done and was ready to put on my pads and low and behold they don't fit. Frustration kicks in again. Soooo now I'm upset because I had ordered the Hawks Performance front and rear pads only to find out that neither fits JL9. Didn't know til about a week ago. Anyways. I jump in his car and head to Autozone and buy the ceramics and we put those on. Piece of cake. The other side went the same also. Mechanics glue made this job harder than it should have been but other wise went pretty smooth. I was reading in another thread about the emergency brake and ABS error and all that. I don't how people were getting that but my car is running like a champ and the braking power is very nice now.

Since I had that issue with that one company I went ahead and ordered the drill/slotted from this company on Ebay that another guy I work with told me about. He has an Audi A4. So I saw how they looked and he said they work very well and I went ahead and ordered mine. Cost me like $230 for front and rear rotors. They also have front and rear with pads for like an extra $30. These bad boys definitely make my car look better. I broke them in and had them bad boys smoking. I was at a light and this guy on my right was just staring at my front tire like it was bout to blow up. Pretty funny. So now I've finished one project. My next project whenever my stuff arrives is to put in my new 8000K Hids and some blue fog lights to compliment them and I'm also waiting on my third brake light. These leds are going out left and right. Time to get rid of it. Also waiting on my GM spec harness to put in my new radio. I'm doing all this and I won't even get to drive her in a few months.

Caddi......"Gotcha !!" as in: You caught you with my pants down. I should have said right away that my EBC pads and rotors were on order - my post was based on 2 other cars done with EBC parts by myself and my neighbor Charlie the Transmission Man. The 2 Seville owners are happy campers, BTW.

SouthernCountry......Greetings from Charleston, SC. Down here for a sub crew reunion. Don't take this the wrong way - I'm sort of surprised that you didn't know of the requirement to screw the rear pucks back into the caliper - there are a lot of posts on this over the years. I assume the wear sensors were still OK. But, at least the job is done. I posted for using both EBC pads and rotors - I'm a believer in one-brand compatibility when it comes to brakes, and EBC seems to be pretty straightforward when it comes to telling you what will and won't work in a daily driver.

I'm the same but I decided to take a chance. If these don't work out then I'll look at EBC. The pads are Duralast Ceramics from Autozone thought. Very quiet and they have performed well so far. No sign of dust either.

Oh I didn't know about the screw in part on the rear. First brake job but next time I'm prepared. Rookie mistake.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.