New Cadillac owner with "wooting" problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, New Cadillac owner with "wooting" problem in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Sounds like a disease, I know. I'm a new guy here, and new to owning a Cadillac. I have always ...
    Ghostsoldier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ESC; 1974 Dodge Monaco 440 Police package

New Cadillac owner with "wooting" problem

Sounds like a disease, I know.

I'm a new guy here, and new to owning a Cadillac. I have always wanted an Eldorado (kind of a dream car thing), and I finally bought a black-on-black 2000 model. I really love the car, but I must say I'm surprised at the low (or lack of) quality in it's construction, especially for a luxury car...but, that's another story. I think this forum is great, as it's already helped me remedy the leaking trunk problem I was plagued with, and I really appreciate you good people for helping! (The search engine is my friend!) I plan on keeping this car for a while, so I'm sure I'll become a "regular" here!

Anyway, enough of my yapping; here's the reason for this post: I did a search, but have not found anything that describes my problem to a T, so I thought I'd just post it here and see if anyone has an insight. I have recently noticed a strange "woot-woot-woot" noise coming from the driver's side front wheel as I pull off from a stop, especially when I turn the car to the left. I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel, and it almost sounds like a power-steering pump when it's low on fluid, but it will stop when I use the brakes, and seems to disappear at higher speeds. It does not do it when I turn to the right, and I can't feel any vibrations at highway speeds, but it will "woot" when I hit a small bump or two at low speed. The other thing I noticed is when I sit in the car and start it, and I turn the wheel left and right, I can feel and hear a slight "thump"...it's not loud, but it's there. I thought it might be a CV joint (assuming these FWD cars have them), but there is no tell-tale "click" that I'm used to hearing from a bad joint. The dealer I bought it from said he just put a set of pads on it before I bought it, so I don't know if that has any bearing on this problem....and since I'm a Dodge-convert, I know absolutely nothing about Cadillacs.

Yet.

Do you folks have any ideas?

Thanks again,
    Rob (gosh, I love italics....)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: New Cadillac owner with "wooting" problem

Good !!! Take the car to a straight stretch of quiet road and get up to 25 - 30. Operate the brake pedal so as to make the front end rock up and down, sort of a slow, increasingly strong pedal pump. As the front end rocks, do you hear a creaking or groaning ("woot") ? Try it again while making stops in both left and right turns.

The 1999 - 2003 series had problems with the Intermediate Steering Shaft which couples the lower end of the steering column, through the firewall, and down to the rack. There's a slip joint in there which loses lubrication and makes some weird noises as the body moves up and down in relation to the drivetrain.

My .02..............

Submariner,
    I tried your method, but I couldn't get the car to make the noise again; it's only consistent when I turn left....
    Rob

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

That's gonna be something to do with brake pads, caliper, CV joint, wheel bearing capsule, or suspension slack.

Thanks for the list of possible culprits; I'm somewhat suspect of the calipers and brake pads myself, as the dealer told me he "had his mechanic install a new set, right before I picked up the car"....hmmmmm...
    Rob

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.