Rear Axil bearing replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Rear Axil bearing replacement in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well my rear axil bearing finally went on my 1999 STS. I want to do the work myself. I serched ...
    Classical Glass is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS

Rear Axil bearing replacement

Well my rear axil bearing finally went on my 1999 STS. I want to do the work myself. I serched the forum for a procedure to replace it but no luck. Does anyone have a procedure or point me in the right direction? Thanks for your time...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Rear Axil bearing replacement

Your best bet is to take out a 1 or 3 year subscription for your car from www.alldatadiy.com. The entire procedure is in their GM service manual section.

The bearings are housed in a capsule - you cannot replace an individual bearing - you replace the entire capsule which is bearings, mounting flange, wheel studs, speed sensor - all one piece. To see what you're replacing, take a look at www.rockauto.com, surf to your car, brake/rear wheel hub, rear wheel bearing assembly. Click on the little picture or the (!) icon for a larger view. Replace both right and left rear capsules at the same time. Use ACDelco/DELPHI. Not a cheap job. Parts are $500 alone, not including brake pads and/or rotor if you need those, too. (special procedure for rear brake pads - caliper reset) Make very sure the brake rotor mounting surface is clean and free of rust when you put it all back together.

Awesome1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Classical Glass View Post
    Well my rear axil bearing finally went on my 1999 STS. I want to do the work myself. I serched the forum for a procedure to replace it but no luck. Does anyone have a procedure or point me in the right direction? Thanks for your time...
    I just had my 2003 Cadillac CTS rear end carrier replaced at the Cadillac Dealership in my area. Due to a falty leaky seal, the differential began humming. I just purchased the car recently and it is a good thing that the previous owner had an Extended Warranty which covered the repairs. It's like Submariner409 said, you can't just replace the seal, you have the replace the entire carrier. The Genuine GM carrier is listed at $1,762.00 for my CTS. That is just for the carrier. Then there is the labor charges and gear oil charges. I can tell you that this is not an easy replacement. There are very critical adjustments that have to be set for the proper clearances. If you don't get it right, there goes your carrier. You have to be extremely qualified with a very good understanding of how to set the clearances properly. If you don't have the expertice, I wouldn't attempt doing the repairs. Hope this helps! Good luck, Tommy.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

One of us is talking about the rear wheel bearing assembly in a FWD car, the other is replacing the rear axle assembly in a RWD car.

The single bad bearing capsule assembly in the OP's STS can be replaced with $175, a jack, stands, and common hand tools.

Your rear end is considerably more complicated and expensive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.