1985 Electronic Level Ride Compressor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, 1985 Electronic Level Ride Compressor in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; my air compressor on my 85 deville was draining my battery over night i'm looking for a replacement, i found ...
    jetengine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

1985 Electronic Level Ride Compressor

my air compressor on my 85 deville was draining my battery over night i'm looking for a replacement, i found on ebay but its from a 1986 deville, will that work? is it the same part. the part i need is GM part #22049806. thanks mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 1985 Electronic Level Ride Compressor

bump, hey does does anybody know id you can put a 1986 deville level ride compressor, in a 1985 deville. is it the same part, i found one on the ebay, thanks

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

If its the same part number, then its a simple bolt in. Most level ride battery draw issues come from a faulty level ride sensor under the car attached to the rear suspension. The current goes there first and when needed, turns on the pump. If the level ride sensor wiring is grounded somewhere in its harness, it would cause a battery draw.

still_walkin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Cadillac deville sedan

it will fit i have a 85 in mine . i have a 85 deville.

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 Fleetwood FWD

I had a different year pump in mine. I had to wire a different connector on the new pump to match the harness on the car.

I had problems with the lines running back to the struts, and eventually went with an after-market line kit with a valve near the license plate to set height, and removed the pump. Did that when I replaced the struts.

Hello everyone, just a follow up on the elc system on my 85 deville. i brought it to cadillac to see what was draining my battery, they checked the car and found out that the level control system was the problem, they disconnected the compressor and said that i should replace it, went to ebay brought a used one, and put it in. but the level control is still draining the battery. i tested the compressor and height adjustment sesor, moved the height sensor up and the compressor does come on when you turn the key. however i had the car since it was new. the system always went into the test mode light would come on for a few seconds when you started the car (when it was newer) but now it might come on only once and a while. question what do you think might be keeping the circuit closed draining the battery, and should i switch my focus the the ALC relay, could a bad relay cause the intermittit problem with the system and draining the battery there is also a relay on the compressor mounting bracket (for what, part of the level system?). checked all the fuses. it a 1985 deville. any input would be great, thanks

Coming on rarely is a good sign. That means the system is holding air. The level ride sensor is what signals the pump. I would suspect the sensor long before the under hood pump or relays. The system is designed to stop power to the pump if a massive air leak develops. Letting it run maybe 1 min. at most. With the service manual, you can verify power to the sensor and with the level ride arm disconnected and rotated up then down, test the other wires for pump signal or exhaust signal.

put the two fuses back in and just got $20 in fuel, after car start the ELC leveling light came on as it should, but once again i pull the fuses at night so the battery is not drained in the morning, the leveing sensor seems to work, when the ignition is in the off postion is there and power going to the sesor or compressor?, i wonder if there is a short some where, i'll buy new relays this weeked and give that a try. when i disconnect the wire at the pump i leave the green and black wire connected, the only wires i disconnect are the two brown wires, it seems like its those wires that drains the battery. does anybody know what those wires do and where they go. i'm trying to trouble shoot the system with all the available information i can get, mike

The system has power to evacuate the air from the system key on or off. again I say, the level sensor commands the compressor to turn on. I would suspect the sensor first. With key off, do you have voltage to the pump??

Invest in a test light before 2 relays. Probe the brown leads that you disconnect from the compressor to see if there is voltage present, key off. The wires go to the height sensor. What they do is complete the circuit from the sensor to the compressor to activate it. With the sensor arm disconnected from the rear axle and with key on, you can push the arm up to verify pump turns on, and by lowering the arm, pump turns off. Allow about 20 seconds once the arm is pushed up for the compressor to activate.

with the key off i think i do have power to the pump because when i connect the wires to the pump it seems like they are hot (have power). also when i connected the wires to the pump i heard it evacuating air pressure for a second. this is all with the key off, maybe i should change the height sensor, get one on ebay.

What you describe is normal operation. You need, with a test light, to confirm that power to the pump goes away after a few seconds, car turned off.

nycnftm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Eldorado

Since I've had mine this thing has been disconnected. Are there any bad side effects to having it not connected?
    A

An 83 Eldo requires, at a minimum, 15 to 20 lb of air always in the rear shocks. Having the pump disconnected is fine if the rear shocks hold air which I doubt. Without the reserve air, the rear rides too low and the general ride deteriorates. On my 84, at purchase 2 years ago, the lines were disconnected and plumbed into a tee fitted at the rear bumper to add necc air. The shocks are aftermarket Gabriels. I tested the system and found a failed rear height sensor was the reason. Got one and replaced it and re plumbed the air lines using the tee formerly in the rear bumper to join left and right shocks. Works correctly now.

nycnftm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Eldorado

"rear rides too low" Exactly what I'm looking at. Thanks for your help, I'll get right on it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.