Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1985 Electronic Level Ride Compressor

8K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  sosuzguy 
#1 ·
my air compressor on my 85 deville was draining my battery over night i'm looking for a replacement, i found on ebay but its from a 1986 deville, will that work? is it the same part. the part i need is GM part #22049806. thanks mike:cool2:

#3 ·
If its the same part number, then its a simple bolt in. Most level ride battery draw issues come from a faulty level ride sensor under the car attached to the rear suspension. The current goes there first and when needed, turns on the pump. If the level ride sensor wiring is grounded somewhere in its harness, it would cause a battery draw.

#5 ·
I had a different year pump in mine. I had to wire a different connector on the new pump to match the harness on the car.

I had problems with the lines running back to the struts, and eventually went with an after-market line kit with a valve near the license plate to set height, and removed the pump. Did that when I replaced the struts.

#6 ·
Hello everyone, just a follow up on the elc system on my 85 deville. i brought it to cadillac to see what was draining my battery, they checked the car and found out that the level control system was the problem, they disconnected the compressor and said that i should replace it, went to ebay brought a used one, and put it in. but the level control is still draining the battery. i tested the compressor and height adjustment sesor, moved the height sensor up and the compressor does come on when you turn the key. however i had the car since it was new. the system always went into the test mode light would come on for a few seconds when you started the car (when it was newer) but now it might come on only once and a while. question what do you think might be keeping the circuit closed draining the battery, and should i switch my focus the the ALC relay, could a bad relay cause the intermittit problem with the system and draining the battery there is also a relay on the compressor mounting bracket (for what, part of the level system?). checked all the fuses. it a 1985 deville. any input would be great, thanks

#7 ·
Coming on rarely is a good sign. That means the system is holding air. The level ride sensor is what signals the pump. I would suspect the sensor long before the under hood pump or relays. The system is designed to stop power to the pump if a massive air leak develops. Letting it run maybe 1 min. at most. With the service manual, you can verify power to the sensor and with the level ride arm disconnected and rotated up then down, test the other wires for pump signal or exhaust signal.

#8 ·
put the two fuses back in and just got $20 in fuel, after car start the ELC leveling light came on as it should, but once again i pull the fuses at night so the battery is not drained in the morning, the leveing sensor seems to work, when the ignition is in the off postion is there and power going to the sesor or compressor?, i wonder if there is a short some where, i'll buy new relays this weeked and give that a try. when i disconnect the wire at the pump i leave the green and black wire connected, the only wires i disconnect are the two brown wires, it seems like its those wires that drains the battery. does anybody know what those wires do and where they go. i'm trying to trouble shoot the system with all the available information i can get, mike

#10 ·
Invest in a test light before 2 relays. Probe the brown leads that you disconnect from the compressor to see if there is voltage present, key off. The wires go to the height sensor. What they do is complete the circuit from the sensor to the compressor to activate it. With the sensor arm disconnected from the rear axle and with key on, you can push the arm up to verify pump turns on, and by lowering the arm, pump turns off. Allow about 20 seconds once the arm is pushed up for the compressor to activate.

#11 ·
with the key off i think i do have power to the pump because when i connect the wires to the pump it seems like they are hot (have power). also when i connected the wires to the pump i heard it evacuating air pressure for a second. this is all with the key off, maybe i should change the height sensor, get one on ebay.

#14 ·
An 83 Eldo requires, at a minimum, 15 to 20 lb of air always in the rear shocks. Having the pump disconnected is fine if the rear shocks hold air which I doubt. Without the reserve air, the rear rides too low and the general ride deteriorates. On my 84, at purchase 2 years ago, the lines were disconnected and plumbed into a tee fitted at the rear bumper to add necc air. The shocks are aftermarket Gabriels. I tested the system and found a failed rear height sensor was the reason. Got one and replaced it and re plumbed the air lines using the tee formerly in the rear bumper to join left and right shocks. Works correctly now.

#16 ·
Carnut, I have a 85 Riviera that has a leaking exhause solenoid on it. I am trying to find someone who can rebuild them but I have some questions first that maybe you can help with. They are the same compressors for Riv/Eldo.Toro. Everytime I get one out of salvage the compressors leak down. I even had a leak down tool made and permantely mounted under the hood like the one the service manual mentions to use. To keep from beating a dead horse again here is a link to the question on the AACA forum. (well that didn't work, won't let me post because I haven't posted enough on here!)
I'd also maybe interested in emailing you about this to see if we can come up with something. As many Eldorados, Rivieras and Toronados from 79-85 there are out there -- No one rebuilds them for us! I'd like to try and change that. Thanks so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.