Looking for a smoother, comfortable ride!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Looking for a smoother, comfortable ride! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I purchased a 2003 Cadillac CTS with a 3.2 V-6 engine. The ride is rough, and I can feel every ...
    Awesome1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Looking for a smoother, comfortable ride!

I purchased a 2003 Cadillac CTS with a 3.2 V-6 engine. The ride is rough, and I can feel every little bump in the road. How can I improve the ride for this year and model? Are there direct bolt on strut's, shock's that will give me a much smoother, quieter ride? Don't even know what type of system I have. Does anyone know? What are my options? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your support, Tommy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

Re: Looking for a smoother, comfortable ride!

what size and type (brand/model) tire are you running.....before you start ripping the car apart, lets check the basics....tires have ALOT to do with both ride and handling

Quote Originally Posted by timothyr View Post
    what size and type (brand/model) tire are you running.....before you start ripping the car apart, lets check the basics....tires have ALOT to do with both ride and handling

The tires are Goodyear Eagle RS-A, P225/50R17. They are brand new. When I purchased the car, the previous owner had them installed. From what I read on the side of the tire, the max tire pressure is 44 psi. I just checked the tire pressure today, they are all at 30 psi. I was going to bring the tire pressure up to 40 psi tomorrow. Thank you, Tommy.

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

taking the pressure up may improve things, but keep in mind the RS-A is considered a high-performance all season...not totally extreme, but deffinaly geared more for performance than confort (as far as noise & ride). Honestly before going off the deep end with full suspension changes I would look at getting a decent set of touring tires on it, between the tread compund and the sidewall build it will give you a softer ride and be much more quiet. Another option is to look for a set of stock 16's, that will buy you a little more sidewall, hence more cushion.

dont mean to push this angle so heavily, however in my experience for this type of situation I think you would be much better suited dealing with a tire issue than a suspension issue. In an energency situation there is no substitue for a taught chassis, with the tires you can at least feel and work to accomodate the level of adheasion remaining, if the car itself gets to loose it will just pull the tires along with it

Quote Originally Posted by timothyr View Post
    taking the pressure up may improve things, but keep in mind the RS-A is considered a high-performance all season...not totally extreme, but deffinaly geared more for performance than confort (as far as noise & ride). Honestly before going off the deep end with full suspension changes I would look at getting a decent set of touring tires on it, between the tread compund and the sidewall build it will give you a softer ride and be much more quiet. Another option is to look for a set of stock 16's, that will buy you a little more sidewall, hence more cushion.

dont mean to push this angle so heavily, however in my experience for this type of situation I think you would be much better suited dealing with a tire issue than a suspension issue. In an energency situation there is no substitue for a taught chassis, with the tires you can at least feel and work to accomodate the level of adheasion remaining, if the car itself gets to loose it will just pull the tires along with it
    Ok, that is good advice. I will look into this. Thanks for your support, Tommy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.