Caddy Newbie Needs Rear Strut Advice...please HELP!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Suspension, Brakes and Tires Discussion, Caddy Newbie Needs Rear Strut Advice...please HELP! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; What's happening folks: I need your help...basically the rear struts on my Caddy(a 1996 Deville) need to be replaced..if I ...
    SUPERFLY30 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville

Caddy Newbie Needs Rear Strut Advice...please HELP!

What's happening folks:

I need your help...basically the rear struts on my Caddy(a 1996 Deville) need to be replaced..if I hit a bump, the car will shudder or feels like it's sliding, the steering wheel shakes, etc.

From my understanding, my ride has the electronic air struts and those can be costly to be replaced. So another option are installing passive struts(I think that's what the guy called them) but I won't have the electronic sensing like the originals.

Well, I would prefer to have the original electronic struts but If those go too deep in my pockets, are these passive struts(less expensive) cool to put on a caddy? Will I still have that 'caddy' smooth ride feel if I'm rolling on passive? Where's a good place to get the electronic rear struts? Because I've called like AutoZone, Oreillys, etc and they don't even carry these.

Also, where can I get the chrome center caps? Man, I used up a whole tank of gas(live in Dallas) looking for these caps on Sat. I found one over in the hood at this hubcap place..but i need one more. Dude told me I was lucky to find that one and those chrome caps are hard to find....hope someone knows of a spot where I can get these.

Pre-8 ya help on this....and my fault for this thread being so lengthy.

I attached a pic of my ride....see how the rear is so low...hanging all over my back tires and stuff...I don't like that...I need to get those rear struts ASAP. Oh, that missing center cap is ugly too! Holla
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

Re: Caddy Newbie Needs Rear Strut Advice...please HELP!

okay...keep one thing straight, there are two systems, the leveling (air to the rear), and the electronic.
    Honestly, from your description it sounds like either your air system is screwed up or someone has replaced the original equipment with non-air units and failed to change out the springs (IMHO going this route will seariously make your caddy lacin...and not in a good way)

OEM's are the best, but are only available from the dealer and can cost bank ($400+ per corner) Personally I have gone with arnotts on all my cars...you get to keep the air system, and the ride is still really good.

check to see if your air system is even functioning...what you are descibing is exactly what happens when you have a problem there

Good looking out Tim...When I hit the lotto I'm gonna have to buy yu a new ride!

SO I went to Arnotts website and the have the New Cadillac Deville 4 wheel suspension kit...which is like 4 parts(I guess those are the struts....I know nothing about cars!!) And they have the New Cadillac Deville rear air shock kit....which is 2 parts.

Which one do I get?

And if the air system is for leveling.....what does the electronic system do?

Thx!

timothyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS

I am not sure if it was standard (the electronic)on the 96 deville; but I know the concourse had it. It basically firmed the car up the faster you went....you could go over speed bumps at 15 and it could be so mushy you would barely notice, then do a quick lane change on the freeway and it would stay very composed and tight.

As far as which kit you want; based on your description you def want the rears, as far as the front go bounce test it (start rocking the front of the car up and down by the front bumper, when you stop shaking it itshould rebound once and then stop...more than that their dead too).

Make sure your air compressor is working before you do anything tho weigh down the back (put a couple of friends in the back seat or a fat chick in the trunk), and listen for the pump to run (you may need to turn the key to the on position.

If you know exactly what you want you can keep these cars running great for cheap...if not you pay the Cadillac tax (thats where they bend you over the hood and a big guy with a pool cue.......wait; nevermind)

LOL...thx man...I def don't want to be hit with the 'Lac tax...gotta be painful!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.